49 shots, 1 goal

Duracell

In our final three home games we've come just short of 50 attempts at goal - and we've scored once.

I think it's just incorrect to say our midfield is not up to the job. Ok, some of our wingers are questionable and Bavies and Tyson are not always the most potent of threats (understatement!), but creating the chances is not the issue here.

I am not saying that Steve Davies and Theo Robinson are bad strikers, not at all. I rate them both and I hope they stick around. But I want the playoffs, and if we'd had a more clinical striker up there with them - who only needed to be fit for our last three home games and away to Cardiff - then this season would have been a completely different story.

It's not even been an end-of-season phenomenon, even if it has got worse of late. We scored once against Barnsley in September, but with 26 shots on goal.

Yes, if fit for the entire season Steve Davies and Theo Robinson would be 20-goal a season strikers. But I measure strikers by much more than goals at the end of the season. You look at Blackpool's strikers, none of whom have the most spectacular of top-6 tallies, but their goals and the timing of the goals has been so important to them.

Finding a potent striker on a budget is not easy. Does anyone else agree that the progress we make next season will come down to the striker Nigel signs?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point dur but also depends how many will leave think its kinda obvious that

Addison poss bailey croft more than likely goin

The ones I'm more worried about if any decent offers come in for em ie ward schacks Brayford might disrupt the building!

For me the ones to go have to be Tyson ( just same as theo n Bennett ) b.davies Maybe

We got to keep hold of Hughes and use him more next season looks like bueno when he was here a proper footballer

I swear at the start of the season we were generating like 1-3 shots per game and winning, Blackpool, Watford etc. I've seen just about every performance this season, from diabolical to sublime, from wasteful in front of goal to clinical finishing, sort of typifies our midtable position doesn't it? Better players...move up league, simple equation.

But it's not just about the strikers scoring, we have 10 outfield players and if relying on just the strikers to score then we aren't going to progress.

A good striker would be a start though.

I am not saying that Steve Davies and Theo Robinson are bad strikers

If you're not saying that Davies and Robsinson are bad strikers then what would you call someone like Billy Sharp? I would use the benchmark that any striker who gets 20 goals a season is a good striker therefore doesnt this automatically put Robinson especially into the very average striker at best pigeonhole?

I agree though that we do need a clinical finisher up front but by the same token am not holding my breath as am sure all of the other Championship clubs are also looking for such a player, most of whom have budgets bigger than ours - for me it is just a case of Clough stating the obvious now to justify failing to get anyone in later, but at least he said that we needed one anyway.

If you're not saying that Davies and Robsinson are bad strikers then what would you call someone like Billy Sharp? I would use the benchmark that any striker who gets 20 goals a season is a good striker therefore doesnt this automatically put Robinson especially into the very average striker at best pigeonhole?

I agree though that we do need a clinical finisher up front but by the same token am not holding my breath as am sure all of the other Championship clubs are also looking for such a player, most of whom have budgets bigger than ours - for me it is just a case of Clough stating the obvious now to justify failing to get anyone in later, but at least he said that we needed one anyway.

No striker who scores 12 in the amount of appearances Savies or Theo have had can be labelled as bad. Theo needs a lot of work but he does offer enough of a threat to be worthy of a place in a team.

Billy Sharp is a brilliant striker. If you want to compare every player with the absolute best in their position in this league then we might as well give up and label the whole team as crap.

Steve Davies is no targetman and looks at his best when he comes deep and picks out passes, like against Blackpool and Bristol City away. My first choice next season would be Steve Davies up with Mr Clinical Finisher, with Theo ready on the bench as a Plan B. We won't win the league with that but we'll improve on this season for sure.

But as you say...it's not easy. I too am not holding my breath as decent finishers cost more than anything. If Shackell was as good a striker as he is a defender, for example, he'd probably set us back twice what we paid for him. So it's going to be difficult.

Although it can't be that difficult to sign a striker who's more clinical than Theo, can it!

I disagree that we just need a striker and our midfield is OK.. It's swings and roundabouts.. We might have had many shots to score against Boro, P'Boro and Cardiff but there have been games this season where we've won but barely created anything..

Our game against

Watford (A) 0-1

Blackpool (A) 0-1

Hull (A) 0-1

Coventry (H) 1-0

Bristol City (H) 2-1

Forest (H) 1-0

Forest (A) 1-2

There you have 7 wins and 21 points from games we created very little in.. The games against Forest were won through a Jeff Hendrick beauty (after missing our only other decent chance) and the home game came from a set-piece after (despite dominating) not really working the GK..

The games against Blackpool, Watford and Hull we created nothing and the goals came from A S.Davies wonderstrike, a freekick rebound and a Theo mis-hit..

It's all swings and roundabouts and in some games we've been very clinical in terms of our chances.. Having a better striker who can add more goals is a must, but what's more important is creativity from midfield and a better goalthreat from midfield..

Everyone talks about the poor return the likes of B.Davies, Ward, Ball, Tyson and Hendrick have given us (Bryson hasn't done too badly n the scoring front) but I don't remember any of them spurning a host of good chances.. Ball and Tyson never look like scoring not because they're totally crap but because they rarely had any decent goalscoring chances.. Ball in particular never found himself in the right positions at the right times..

I swear at the start of the season we were generating like 1-3 shots per game and winning, Blackpool, Watford etc. I've seen just about every performance this season, from diabolical to sublime, from wasteful in front of goal to clinical finishing, sort of typifies our midtable position doesn't it? Better players...move up league, simple equation.

Thats what the tree's and the bin dippers thought Billy 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

I disagree that we just need a striker and our midfield is OK.. It's swings and roundabouts.. We might have had many shots to score against Boro, P'Boro and Cardiff but there have been games this season where we've won but barely created anything..

Our game against

Watford (A) 0-1

Blackpool (A) 0-1

Hull (A) 0-1

Coventry (H) 1-0

Bristol City (H) 2-1

Forest (H) 1-0

Forest (A) 1-2

There you have 7 wins and 21 points from games we created very little in.. The games against Forest were won through a Jeff Hendrick beauty (after missing our only other decent chance) and the home game came from a set-piece after (despite dominating) not really working the **** of a GK..

just did some neccesary editing for you there.

In our final three home games we've come just short of 50 attempts at goal - and we've scored once.

I think it's just incorrect to say our midfield is not up to the job. Ok, some of our wingers are questionable and Bavies and Tyson are not always the most potent of threats (understatement!), but creating the chances is not the issue here.

I am not saying that Steve Davies and Theo Robinson are bad strikers, not at all. I rate them both and I hope they stick around. But I want the playoffs, and if we'd had a more clinical striker up there with them - who only needed to be fit for our last three home games and away to Cardiff - then this season would have been a completely different story.

It's not even been an end-of-season phenomenon, even if it has got worse of late. We scored once against Barnsley in September, but with 26 shots on goal.

Yes, if fit for the entire season Steve Davies and Theo Robinson would be 20-goal a season strikers. But I measure strikers by much more than goals at the end of the season. You look at Blackpool's strikers, none of whom have the most spectacular of top-6 tallies, but their goals and the timing of the goals has been so important to them.

Finding a potent striker on a budget is not easy. Does anyone else agree that the progress we make next season will come down to the striker Nigel signs?

I think Duracell has made a lot of well thought out points at the outset of this thread. Doesn't anyone else think he deserves a "like" except me?

Archived