Clough ordered to slash wage bill

randombc

No surprise really after what I put in the Q+A thread, but it's come up in the Daily Express - 'Nigel Clough has been ordered to slash his wage bill at Derby. The club's American owners are keen to lower costs and Clough is facing the prospect of losing his star players this summer'

This could see the likes of fringe players leave - Doyle, Addison, Croft, Maguire, Carroll (end of loan spell), Green (obviously), Connolly, Deeney and maybe Bailey and Maguire.

This is the possibilty of 10 players leaving, although 6 or 7 of them don't get a look in anyway, so we wont even notice if they've gone. We'll probably end up saving about 50k a week on wages a week aswell. I just hope the squad doesn't get depleted and Clough isn't forced to sell his 'star players'

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends what 'slash the wage bil' means....

If it means get rid of superfluous players,fine. If it means that, plus reduce the wages of all people coming in, and those negotiating a new contract,then his job just got tougher,and maybe we should look on this seasons lofty status with some reverence 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' />

No surprise really after what I put in the Q+A thread, but it's come up in the Daily Express - 'Nigel Clough has been ordered to slash his wage bill at Derby. The club's American owners are keen to lower costs and Clough is facing the prospect of losing his star players this summer'

This could see the likes of fringe players leave - Doyle, Addison, Croft, Maguire, Carroll (end of loan spell), Green (obviously), Connolly, Deeney and maybe Bailey and Maguire.

This is the possibilty of 10 players leaving, although 6 or 7 of them don't get a look in anyway, so we wont even notice if they've gone. We'll probably end up saving about 50k a week on wages a week aswell. I just hope the squad doesn't get depleted and Clough isn't forced to sell his 'star players'

I don't think we'd save 50k a week from that lot.. That would imply they're all on 5k a week.. 30k for the lot maximum.. Whislt Green is over and Croft is probably on around that much, I'd expect the rest to be on squad player wages.. The likes of Doyle, Addison, Connolly, Deeney and Bailey will be on no more than 2.5k a week surely..

We really must be the laughing stock among football supporters around the country. Season upon season the clubs remit is to lower the wage bill and Clough continues to do this. There will surely come a time when a club with much bigger ambitions (like a Wolves) takes a chance on and offers him a good squad and a transfer kitty.

There are very few English managers that spring to mind that have done a good a job as he has all things considered and he has performed admirably at lower league level first with Burton then with Derby.

The owners seem to treat him like a punchbag and he just continues to deliver the goods finding transfer bargains replacing the higher paid players with lower paid and better pedigree players. How long can it realistically continue? One thing is for sure.....he doesn't owe the DCFC a damn thing and the fans offer him a huge debt of gratitude.

We really must be the laughing stock among football supporters around the country. Season upon season the clubs remit is to lower the wage bill and Clough continues to do this. There will surely come a time when a club with much bigger ambitions (like a Wolves) takes a chance on and offers him a good squad and a transfer kitty.

There are very few English managers that spring to mind that have done a good a job as he has all things considered and he has performed admirably at lower league level first with Burton then with Derby.

The owners seem to treat him like a punchbag and he just continues to deliver the goods finding transfer bargains replacing the higher paid players with lower paid and better pedigree players. How long can it realistically continue? One thing is for sure.....he doesn't owe the DCFC a damn thing and the fans offer him a huge debt of gratitude.

Unfortunately some fans do not see the bigger picture. We can't have any high earners and probably the reason why we only keep players normally for the term of their contracts before they move on for example Hulse, Commons and now Green.

If we do not get promoted over the next couple of seasons can see the likes of Shackell, Ward, Brayford moving on not because they probably want to but due to their agents wanting deals that the club will not offer even if they deserve it.

Clough has continued to find gems although some say not often enough. He has found though some good players on the fringe of squads, free or very cheap. He has got the squad going in the right direction now that the deadwood has gone but surely there is no more fat to trim we are becoming anorexic and placing a lot of pressure on the academy and young players coming through as the club looks like they are moving further to relying on them to keep the club moving forward.

Hope Clough does not get his badges because then we will be lucky to keep him.

Lucky to keep him? Not many English managers out there who has done a better job?

Yep we are talking about Clough.. The manager that took over a second division and guided us to the Championship and made us a leading club in the country..

Oh no, we're talking about the other one who in 4 seasons has guided us from 17th in the NPC to 11th in the NPC..

He's not even on the same level as Ian Holloway yet so let's not get ahead of ourselves eh lads..

And those gems, yes, Idiakez, Rasiak, Tommy Smith all heped us to the playoffs and then were sold on for profits.. Oh we're talking about Cloughs gems, yes Moxey did make us an extra $50k..

You can perhaps now see how 'we need to get wages below £10m' changed to 'we're not going to disclose wages-other clubs don't do it',to 'we're not going to disclose because it's not helpful when dealing with agents and other clubs'.

Davenport put up an interesting link on the FFP thread to a presentation given by Simon Clegg,Ipswich CEO.The thing that struck me was that whilst he acknowledged that they would have to work within FFP,he saw it as his job to try and gain a competitive advantage (by legitimate means).Obviously one way would be to increase income,but he also pointed out that there was no wage cap under the proposed FFP,and that clubs would be able to proritise the various cost centres that make up a club's expenditure ( players'wages being one).The obvious conclusion is that some may try to gain an advantage by cutting back in other areas to boost the wage bill (I remember that Glick himself admitted that this might happen,in an interview some time back).

Contrast this to what we seem to be doing.Rather than cut back in other areas to boost our own wage bill,all we seem to get is a relentless driving down of players' wages-the thing that was supposed to be giving us an advantage when FFP came in (due to our turnover being higher than most without chute payments)

I can well see a situation develop whereby we are only spending a third of income on players' wages (and I doubt you'll see that replicated elsewhere).If admin expenses don't drop from the £7.4m shown in the last accounts,we may probably have the ludicrous situation of admin expenses outstripping players' wages.

On the old DET forum I looked at a handful of other Championship clubs-of these only Ipswich seperated out admin expenses (can't remember their figure,but it was way below ours for the year in question).I'm sure our owners would love to just give one global figure for operating costs (as most seem to do).Luckily for us,our accounts had adopted a convention of seperating them out before our owners came in,so it would be rather difficult .to part from the historical format without arousing suspicion.

When the accounts came out I pointed out that the presentation on the club's site excluded the admin figure,and left some scratching their heads as to why a small profit turned into a large loss,without explanation.(i.e a line showing admin expenses).

Why even turn your paper over to the Sports pages if you read a tabloid? You'll find less ******** between your legs. And it's ******** in the news bit too. In fact why even buy a tabloid anyway?

That aside, it's lazy journalism. I'd expect the wage bill to come down a little but a "slash" is just classic tabloid hyperbole. It will probably be an initial cut to compensate for the fact Leacock, Bywater et al stayed much longer than initially thought.

The 'paper' I looked at at work had the list of players leaving as Frankie, Shackell, Ward & Hendrick. F**king idiots. Uber lazy considering Ward has just signed a new contract. Hendrick could potentially leave if we were offered a decent fee (as is also true with the other three), but it doesn't seem likely.

So Ramblur, did they end up including the admin expenses and did they break them down into line items. Is it reasonable that ours are high compared to others?

The accounts have always given a global figure (no breakdown whatsoever,but there again there's no breakdown of direct operating costs either),but I guess there aren't that many fans that download the accounts.As to whether they amended the presentation on the club site,I don't know-last time I looked nothing had been amended.The format on the club site seemed to follow that given in the accounts,the only difference being that you had to guess what the missing step was.I could see it straight away,but I could well understand how those that didn't have access to the accounts would struggle.

I can't see any reason why our admin expenses should be a lot higher than another club of a similar size (I'd class Ipswich as being slightly smaller in regards to turnover).

I'd just like to point out that I don't give any credence to the tabloids' stories,I'm just pointing out that our wages appear to be taking inexorable downward steps and I fail to see how this is going to give us a competitive edge when FFP kicks in-quite the opposite,I would have thought.

Going into next season we will have ditched the full wages of Sav,Porter,Varney,Anderson ,Bywater,Pearson,Leacock,Green,Martin (and anyone I've forgotten),yet we've got to trim back even more on top?

Archived