We never replaced [insert name]

Ambitious

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carbonari, Carbonari, Carbonaaaarrrrrrrrriiiiii

Oh and the other Horacio 'Raich' but sadly I never saw him play!

Came with the canonball free kick reputation....but ynfortunatley he must have forgot to pack it!! Only good thing he ever did was score against that lot, a couple of times too oh and 1 against Chelsea i think?

Too fat, couldnt head, too slow and woefull at free kicks.

There have been so many bad decisions by managers down the years, it's difficult to know where to start.

Selling Goddard was one that really did me, and getting Spencer Prior in when Igor left, I could've cried.

It's alright though, we replaced Goddard with a guy who deliberately scores own goals.

This thread makes me sad, will we ever be as good as we were in the late 80's or late 90's again? Punching with the big boys in the top half, with some fantastically talented players.

This thread makes me sad, will we ever be as good as we were in the late 80's or late 90's again? Punching with the big boys in the top half, with some fantastically talented players.

Not until our owners come to the realisation that we have to lose millions and millions to do that in transfer fees and wages and put ourselves in the financial mess that nearly every single top flight club is in.

We never replaced the majority of Jim Smiths team. Financial restrictions had a significant role in that, but so did poor judgement. Fabrizio Ravanelli, Daryll Powell, Warren Barton, Rob Lee, Mikkel Beck and I could go on. We spent stupid amounts of cash on garbage and paid the price, not to mention the fact that Jim Smith wasn't adequately replaced when Lionel gave him the elbow.

John Gregory, now those were bad times... we could barely even pass the ball to eachother!

Darryl Powell was signed at the start of Jim Smith's first season, and was virtually ever-present in the promotion season and beyond.

Whatever you think of him, listing him as a poor attempt to replace a Jim Smith marvel is simply inaccurate.

For what it's worth, I thought he was good at what he did. Underrated player.

Not until our owners come to the realisation that we have to lose millions and millions to do that in transfer fees and wages and put ourselves in the financial mess that nearly every single top flight club is in.

Clubs like Fulham, Wigan, Stoke are in the prem because they have a sugar daddy to bankroll them. Until we get that then i'm afraid you are correct mcsilks. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

Darryl Powell was signed at the start of Jim Smith's first season, and was virtually ever-present in the promotion season and beyond.

Whatever you think of him, listing him as a poor attempt to replace a Jim Smith marvel is simply inaccurate.

For what it's worth, I thought he was good at what he did. Underrated player.

Well, when I had a season ticket he was bloody awful! and Jim Smiths first season is a bit before my time!

Came with the canonball free kick reputation....but ynfortunatley he must have forgot to pack it!! Only good thing he ever did was score against that lot, a couple of times too oh and 1 against Chelsea i think?

Too fat, couldnt head, too slow and woefull at free kicks.

Agree mate but not many players of his standard won the fans over like he did. We were proud of the whole team then though, and at a time when we had an atmosphere we used to love that one. Can't see us ever singing a song about Roberts or Barker to be honest.

Referring to Horatio Stratton 'Raich' Carter?

Yeah I was mate, did you ever see him?!

We'll never be like that again. never..

Teams like Sunderland have gone up and spent over $100mill to be there and they're light years away from our team that had 2 successive top 9 finishes..

That team would go to places like the Hawthornes, Craven Cottage and Stadium of Light and play the opposition off the park, scoring 3 or 4 while they're at it..

It's sadly a distant memory.. Stefano Eranio, Igor Stimac and Baiano these days would cost $8mill at least (our record transfer is only $3.5mill) and they wouldn't touch us wit a barge pole..

It's crazy when you look around at the expensively assembled PL squads like Wolves and Sunderland and you think how on earth have they managed to spend so much money yet still have an average team who will do well to stay up.

We'll never be like that again. never..

Teams like Sunderland have gone up and spent over $100mill to be there and they're light years away from our team that had 2 successive top 9 finishes..

That team would go to places like the Hawthornes, Craven Cottage and Stadium of Light and play the opposition off the park, scoring 3 or 4 while they're at it..

It's sadly a distant memory.. Stefano Eranio, Igor Stimac and Baiano these days would cost $8mill at least (our record transfer is only $3.5mill) and they wouldn't touch us wit a barge pole..

It's crazy when you look around at the expensively assembled PL squads like Wolves and Sunderland and you think how on earth have they managed to spend so much money yet still have an average team who will do well to stay up.

Sums up my opinion very well.

Us lot arguing over Clough's signings and tactics given his budget, is like two bald men fighting over a comb.

Archived