We never replaced [insert name]

Ambitious

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put that question on the Forest forum and bet most would say Teddy Sheringham.

It recent years, Howard and Oakley. Going further than that Stevie mac as assistant manager, you could pinpoint that moment as the start of the downfall when he left for Man utd

I know it's a derby forum and I will rightly get slated.. but interesting topic...Teddy shouldn't have been allowed to leave but the one they could never replace was des walker going to italy.

it they'd have both stayed, keaney would have stayed as well. They never really had a centre half pairing after Des left and clough and keane at one point were the central defence. For Forest it went wrong at both ends of the field at the same time.

As for Derby we've had some great leaders down the years but I think the biggest loss was BC (and Pete). If they'd have stayed through their prime, We'd have wiped the floor with everyone for years.

As for Derby we've had some great leaders down the years but I think the biggest loss was BC (and Pete). If they'd have stayed through their prime, We'd have wiped the floor with everyone for years.

Couldn't agree more, I've often wondered had those two stayed with us what the battle for supremecy with Liverpool would have been like, Paisley never got the recognition he deserved in my opinion (knighthood wise) but I think we would have had a head start on them and it wouldn't have gone all their way the way it did.

And you know that, how? Because how well he did with southampton after us? Or palace?orScotland?

Take off the rose tinted glasses, he won nothing, in fact, who was the bloke who knocked him out of the play offs..? I forget.

If he'd had the backing BD had we'd never have sold Rasiak or Hudds and he'd have bought in similar players to what he did at Hearts when they had a 100% record in the SPL after 11 or so games..

Comparing BD to GB is unfair give the circumstances, BD spent over $8mill on transfer fees and wages while George Burley spent next to nothing.. Billys team finished 1 place and 8 points higher than GB's team but that's like saying Martin Jol (when at Spurs) did a better job than Coppell (when at Reading) because they finished higher by 3 places and 5 points.. Well yeh it's easy when your spend is 10x greater than the other team..

Same applies for Billy D.. His spend was at least 8x greater than GBs yet his team only finished 8 points better off.. Not to metion the aim under BD was promotion yet the aim under GB was anothe season of consolidation after finishing 20th the year before.. So who did the better job? Who spent better and got valu fo money for their players? Under GB we profited from Hudds, Camp, Grant, Tudgay, Idiakez, Rasiak, Tommy Smith.. Under Billy who did we profit from? What players did he buy who the went on to be sold for more?

Disagree with both Howard and Oakley... they were part of a team that was the worst in history, went to leicester and relegated them into league one, both came out better in their old age but Leicester will have made a huge loss on both of them, overall.

I would however argue that we never replaced Seth Johnson from our promotion season, we didn't have that combative midfielder to stop other teams sitting in our half having shooting practise in the premiership, which was the underlying issue to us being a laughing stock.

Billy Davies' replacement for Seth was Stephen Pearson. Now don't get me wrong, I have never joined in the Pearson hate gang that most Derby fans seem to have, I will always be grateful for his winner at Wembley and the total takeover of London by Derby fans that ensued.....but, but, the fact is that Billy didn't rate Seth at all and was forced to bring him back for the play-offs.

A half fit Seth would have seen us double our points in the prem even if he had played on his own. My favourite players are Roy Mac, Toddy, Bruce, King Kev, Archie, Deano, Bobby, Charlie etc, etc, and I would put Seth lad up there with em. He had the magic ingredient, he cared and would put his body on the line for Derby. We have not replaced him.

I saw this on another forum and thought it would be a good idea on here, as in my time of supporting Derby we've gone from having some genuine class acts, to being named worst team in history.. so who do you think we never replaced

The first name on the list, without question has to be Chris Powell, the last decent left back we had and that is quite annoying when you think he left in 1998 for a measly 825,000 only a 75,000 profit on such an integral player!

Carsley was a funny one, although I don't remember him being too highly rated by the Derby faithful and people were happy to see him go for the 3million+ to Blackburn, it left a massive gap in our midfield that could of been one of the underlying reasons the rot set in and the relegation that started this run of miserable years.

Anymore (I could name 13-14, but this is a forum game)

Worst team in Premier League history...

Archived