He'll play for England, one day ...

48 hours

Okay, we have all said this about a player at one time or another - OR have had someone rambling on about someone they saw playing for Uttoxeter FC that made Cruyff look like Mickey Mouse.

To try and cut a long story short, I used to work in a large office block in Southend-on-mud. The head of my department used to play for Chester Nomads in his younger days - and I used to play for Crewe Nomads. (No home ground - all games played 'away').

He knew that I kept an eye out for talented players coming thru at Crewe, and as I went to get into the lift one Friday afternoon - he was in the lift with another person that I had not seen before. The conversation went something along the lines of "any good players for me to look out for at Crewe?" to which I replied yes, there is a young lad called Danny Murphy who is coming thru - and another player who looks interesting is Seth Johnson ...

... at this point the third person in the lift turned to me and said "He'll play for England one day!".

I was somewhat taken aback, but he carried on by saying "Seth used to play with my son in a 5-a-side team that I used to run- we used to win everything!". He explained that (the real) DarioG came down to Dawlish (I think?) to do some scouting. He wanted his son and Seth to have a trial - but he didn't want his son playing too much football at such a young age, but Seth signed-up ...

Anyone else had a similar experience ?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was about 15/16 I used to play for alvaston eagles with Marcus tudgay, he 2 years younger but played our age group, we used to tell him he would be a footballer one day,

We also went to a 5 a side tournament and Nathan Doyle then 10 was playing for eagles under 12's and me and my mate managed his team we told him he would be the next superstar player!! When I see him now I still tell him I taught him all he knows, was also best friends with lee Williamson ( Sheffield united now) and he wasn't even best in our class never mind year!!

Went to school with Nathan Doyle. Year below me. I was in his brother Bens's year.

A year makes a big difference at school in football. Older lads always faster and stronger than younger lads. But Nathan was different. Very fast and very strong. When my year played his year all their players could be bullied off the ball, except Nathan. Struggled to get near him.

He played for a year above him at both Sunday League and school football. Then he got a game for the England side along with Huddlestone. Far better than players in my year and nearly all the year above.

Now i've said it before, but he's always been a massive arrogant bell end. He always used to swagger around with just his one mate or his brother. You see him around Derby a lot. He a proper nob. Not like Tudgay. Decent lad he is. Glad he got a chance with Forest at this level.

Went to school with Nathan Doyle. Year below me. I was in his brother Bens's year.

A year makes a big difference at school in football. Older lads always faster and stronger than younger lads. But Nathan was different. Very fast and very strong. When my year played his year all their players could be bullied off the ball, except Nathan. Struggled to get near him.

He played for a year above him at both Sunday League and school football. Then he got a game for the England side along with Huddlestone. Far better than players in my year and nearly all the year above.

Now i've said it before, but he's always been a massive arrogant bell end. He always used to swagger around with just his one mate or his brother. You see him around Derby a lot. He a proper nob. Not like Tudgay. Decent lad he is. Glad he got a chance with Forest at this level.

the bit about the 'bellend' - very true. I was at Noddy too with him.

Okay, we have all said this about a player at one time or another - OR have had someone rambling on about someone they saw playing for Uttoxeter FC that made Cruyff look like Mickey Mouse.

To try and cut a long story short, I used to work in a large office block in Southend-on-mud. The head of my department used to play for Chester Nomads in his younger days - and I used to play for Crewe Nomads. (No home ground - all games played 'away').

He knew that I kept an eye out for talented players coming thru at Crewe, and as I went to get into the lift one Friday afternoon - he was in the lift with another person that I had not seen before. The conversation went something along the lines of "any good players for me to look out for at Crewe?" to which I replied yes, there is a young lad called Danny Murphy who is coming thru - and another player who looks interesting is Seth Johnson ...

... at this point the third person in the lift turned to me and said "He'll play for England one day!".

I was somewhat taken aback, but he carried on by saying "Seth used to play with my son in a 5-a-side team that I used to run- we used to win everything!". He explained that (the real) DarioG came down to Dawlish (I think?) to do some scouting. He wanted his son and Seth to have a trial - but he didn't want his son playing too much football at such a young age, but Seth signed-up ...

Anyone else had a similar experience ?

Well he was right - it was just one day. Its a real shame his knees got knackered or it could have, should have been more.

remember saying something simliar about Giles Barnes the first time I saw him play. Nothing cut and dried in this game. Not sure how Seth came to play for England mind you, journeyman at best!

Giles Barnes had (has) more skill in his little finger than Seth could ever dream of having.

Given the choice, I would take Seth every day of the week. We would be promoted this season with a young, fit Seth in the team.

Carlisle United in the mid-1990s had a talented bunch of young players Tony Caig, Scott Dobie, Rory Delap, Matt Jansen & Paul Boertien. Matt Jansen was set to play for England in the 2002 World before a motorcycle crash which he never properly recovered from. Delap has played over 300 games in the PL and has played in the World Cup for Ireland. Boertien and Caig had decent lower league careers. Dobie also had a nice spell at WBA in Div 1/Prem and represented his country.

You could tell Keiren Westwood had star quality for Carlisle, every fan knew he was destined for the Prem and Sunderland are getting the rewards. He almost retired from the game aged 19 to become a policeman until Paul Simpson gave him a contract. Danny Graham also knew where the goal was and was your ideal number 9 (although he hated playing in winter), but I never thought he would do as well as he is for Swansea last year. Also Marc Tierney, Leon Osman and Tim Krul have had loan spells and they showed thier qualities.

Carlisle United in the mid-1990s had a talented bunch of young players Tony Caig, Scott Dobie, Rory Delap, Matt Jansen & Paul Boertien. Matt Jansen was set to play for England in the 2002 World before a motorcycle crash which he never properly recovered from. Delap has played over 300 games in the PL and has played in the World Cup for Ireland. Boertien and Caig had decent lower league careers. Dobie also had a nice spell at WBA in Div 1/Prem and represented his country.

You could tell Keiren Westwood had star quality for Carlisle, every fan knew he was destined for the Prem and Sunderland are getting the rewards. He almost retired from the game aged 20 to become a policeman until Paul Simpson gave him a contract. Danny Graham also knew where the goal was and was your ideal number 9 (although he hated playing in winter), but I never thought he would do as he is for Swansea last year. Also Marc Tierney, Leon Osman and Tim Krul have had loan spells.

Half the 'Carlisle' players stated here played for Derby, weird.

Well he was right - it was just one day. Its a real shame his knees got knackered or it could have, should have been more.

Are you on about Seth Johnson?

Should never have been anywhere near the England side, very limited player IMO.

Are you on about Seth Johnson?

Should never have been anywhere near the England side, very limited player IMO.

He was a limited player Curb, but he was one of the first names on the team sheet because he was a team player. Anyone who has ever played football at any level would want a Seth lad alongside them.

Top, top, player, heartbeat of the team.

He was a limited player Curb, but he was one of the first names on the team sheet because he was a team player. Anyone who has ever played football at any level would want a Seth lad alongside them.

Top, top, player, heartbeat of the team.

Still wouldn't want him near the England team though, watched him get torn apart by Vierra once at PPS, never got within 10 yards of him.

Archived