Derby Away Following / Safe Standing / Football Specials

therams69

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I meant louder behind a goal than in a corner!

Yep, I get what you mean, but will the folk in NS go for it? I'm only saying because there's tons of kids in there, but I suppose they could go to the front (that's where I'd go with me lil un) otherwise they wouldn't see much. That's why when we go to away matches and folk are standing, we go to the front, we still sing though.

If safe standing would be allowed in time though, it'd be great for them that want to stand.

Call me old-fashoined, but what's the point?

If you have to stand in a numbered place with a barrier in front and behind then you might as well just have a seat and carry on as we are.

The whole point of terracing is that you can move around which means all the people who want to sing can just stand together where they want to, the ones who sing a bit can be near them and the boring ***** can stand well away.

It was interesting on saturday, and a little funny looking around (where we stood anyway), most people stood in a little space evenly spaced out from their neighbours. We aren't used to the close physical contact with strangers anymore. It would have been interesting to see what would happen if it was packed like in the old BBG days, but I guess they would set a limit of tickets sold to ensure that wouldn't happen.

As far as the question of football specials is concerned, I work for Network Rail and I know that the rail infastructure is pretty much at capacity now, ie you couldn't plan more journeys into the existing timetable.

As for cheap tickets for football fans then playing devils advocate why should we get cheap rail fares over, say, people going to Rugby matches or visiting families or people travelling to work? That's without the obvious argument that 300 drunk football fans polling into a station in a strange town would start off the mob mentality again,

So on both counts I would say it'll never happen, and especially not at new stadiums like PPS that are designed for seating.

Could Derby realistically reduce the price of terracing though? Surely the reason it's cheaper at the older grounds is because there has been no modernisation made to it. We will have built a new stadium, knocked some seats out, then put a terrace in. It will all cost money, so I would think the price won't be dramatically less.

I'm not well versed in this topic though so I could be totally wrong...

If you have to stand in a numbered place with a barrier in front and behind then you might as well just have a seat and carry on as we are.

The whole point of terracing is that you can move around which means all the people who want to sing can just stand together where they want to, the ones who sing a bit can be near them and the boring ***** can stand well away.

It was interesting on saturday, and a little funny looking around (where we stood anyway), most people stood in a little space evenly spaced out from their neighbours. We aren't used to the close physical contact with strangers anymore. It would have been interesting to see what would happen if it was packed like in the old BBG days, but I guess they would set a limit of tickets sold to ensure that wouldn't happen.

As far as the question of football specials is concerned, I work for Network Rail and I know that the rail infastructure is pretty much at capacity now, ie you couldn't plan more journeys into the existing timetable.

As for cheap tickets for football fans then playing devils advocate why should we get cheap rail fares over, say, people going to Rugby matches or visiting families or people travelling to work? That's without the obvious argument that 300 drunk football fans polling into a station in a strange town would start off the mob mentality again,

So on both counts I would say it'll never happen, and especially not at new stadiums like PPS that are designed for seating.

That's a valid point.

I think safe standing is a brilliant idea and I hope it's introduced soon, when you stand you are louder and for myself I feel more like singing when I stand I don't know why but I just do. Safe standing unlike how terracing used to be is completely safe and the difference in injuries between us and the German league is negligible. The train fares would be difficult to organise and unpopular with non football supporters,that to me would be far harder to implement than safe standing.

The reason I want standing areas is so that I could go to the game without having some jobsworth steward hassling me every ten minutes to sit down. Plus obviously it's a better atmosphere and you can easily stand near people you want to stand with rather than be stuck next to a fat moaning c**t all game.

The costing side of things - you can get more people in (and more people would come, if the prices were made cheaper/we were in the Prem/doing well) so over time it would pay for itself - kind of like double glazing. Maybe not after 5 years, but after 15 or 20, which isn't that long in the life of a football ground. You could also look at it as a cheap way of extending the ground - i'm not sure how much the proposed 44k extension was going to be, but we could reasonably expect an increase of a couple of thousand, depending on the size of the area converted, for a damn sight less.

Yep, I get what you mean, but will the folk in NS go for it? I'm only saying because there's tons of kids in there, but I suppose they could go to the front (that's where I'd go with me lil un) otherwise they wouldn't see much. That's why when we go to away matches and folk are standing, we go to the front, we still sing though.

If safe standing would be allowed in time though, it'd be great for them that want to stand.

I imagine should it ever occur the club would have to reallocate everyone in the North Stand and produce a new family area. There would be plenty of room for this in the East Stand should the club wish to take this approach.

The North Stand would need to be a blank canvas and the current holders I imagine would not keep their seat in a changeover period.

God we are thinking way ahead here!! I guess its about making sure everyone or the majority are happy with it, its not about what say 1000 fans think but more so 20000 think.

Ok, old fashioned! :-)

Good point about football specials.

Terracing - statistics and experience shows that supporters sing more when standing. Fans would be attracted to this area on that basis. I doubt you would get many that would move over and not sing.

About the terracing, i agree that the attraction is being able to move around, but a new section of safe standing would at least encourage people who want to sing to be together.

Surely if you didn't want to sing you wouldn't bother buying a ticket there would you?

It could be unreserved as well.

Not sure what the capacity of the whole north stand is, say is about 6000, if the whole of that stand was made into a standing area would the capacity remain the same or would it increase? and if so how much will it increase by??

Not sure what the capacity of the whole north stand is, say is about 6000, if the whole of that stand was made into a standing area would the capacity remain the same or would it increase? and if so how much will it increase by??

Surely it wouldn't increase if there still needed to be a fold up seat for each space?

Terracing would be safe again if the numbers were strictly controlled, in the past fans were squeezed in for the money rather than safety. In todays H&S culture it would work and the numbers and pens tightly controlled.

The end of terracing marked the end of the football experience in terms of atmosphere and groups of mates enjoying a sat afternoon for a fair cost.

I really miss the Popside and feel sorry for those who never experienced it.

Then wouldn't that be pointless as it's just the same as what people are doing now when standing?

If you can tell me where 6000 fans stand together all game at PPS then YES it would be pointless.

However, they cant and dont.

I think this is the point.

[url=http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/the-proposal]http://www.safestand...uk/the-proposal

The photo at the bottom is pretty much what most modern grounds in England would be able to have i'd imagine. Good site that is, we should request a visit.

Have had a look at that site - quite a few interested clubs have put their weight behind this cause. Can the Roadshow be invited to DCFC and canvass the opinions of fans on a bigger scale?

Also, isn't Tom Glick on the FL Board?? (Not sure, don't quote me) but if he is, maybe he could sway the decision a bit?

Still feel it would be pointless doin it any where other than the SE corner, atmosphere in the north stand is non-existent because the away fans couldn't be further away so i would imagine most people in the corner would want to stay there and carry on standing as they are.

Have had a look at that site - quite a few interested clubs have put their weight behind this cause. Can the Roadshow be invited to DCFC and canvass the opinions of fans on a bigger scale?

Also, isn't Tom Glick on the FL Board?? (Not sure, don't quote me) but if he is, maybe he could sway the decision a bit?

Already done and await a response. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Archived