Derby Away Following / Safe Standing / Football Specials

therams69

All,

Just wanted to ask your opinions on the below whilst we have the international break, it is DC related.

Many fans want safe standing (option) introduced and as you know I very much back the idea. I think it will probably be only a matter of 3 years before this is introduced.

My point being in particular to yesterday was our large away following. I think its fair to say that the reason we had such a large following was because:-

1) Standing option available

2) Adult standing £20 ticket, excellent price for the already inflated price of attending a football game

3) Cheap public transport option, the train was about £20 return.

Does anyone else agree?

I have just looked at the train prices for Ipswich, standard 6 weeks before game in case of TV change etc, and its coming in at £87 return. A ridiculous price for a person to pay no matter a football fan (on top of match ticket) Should public transport not be encouraged? Surely?

I think a return of a more regulated football special should be encouraged and if not possible due to low away following then at least a special fare for fans attending the football on production of match ticket. Not only would this boost the coffers of Midland Mainline and the likes but also mean more fans would be able to travel to away games without having to pay overpriced train tickets.

I think mixed in with standing yesterday this encouraged a lot of fans to go to this match. If for example Leicester had standing we would have filled the end where as in reality we took a poor 1500.

Would be great if the above happened, not only for DC but also other clubs too. Surely something has to give? Attending football is no longer for the working man/woman it would seem.

Nick

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It probably won't surprise you Nick, but I agree with you - those 3 factors definately contributed to a larger following, a noisier following and ultimately more enjoyment for me and i'm sure many others.

Give me an option to stand freely, a ticket under £20 and travel for under £20 and i'd never moan about football again.

I know only 2 replies but do get the feeling that most would agree with it.

Football specials were fun back in the day but you wouldn't get away with them nowadays in the old format. Beside at Leicester and Forest anyway there are normally set trains to go home on anyway.

Not surprised Joe ;-) LOL!

Is this the future for football? I think something along these lines needs to be introduced as we are losing the likes of the working man. Yesterday was a prime example with many working lads out to enjoy a game of football.

Football is very much geared towards the family supporters and elderly supporters, nothing wrong with that, but as Stan Collymore says what about the hardcore support that go home and away.

And also I always have a good time at away games but yesterday I had a great day due to:-

1) Standing without hassle

2) Allowed to have a drink with the lads on train

3) It hasn't killed my bank balance, affordable to the working man which means more lads could go.

Should this be applicable for every game!

You had to change trains in Notts I assume? Bet that was a laugh?

Yesterday it was Leicester, no problem though. Great policing in Leicester I thought, no hassle. Not allowed off the station for obvious reasons but they worked around this for the smokers by allowing them to smoke in a secluded place on station, common sense and good policing in my eyes.

Yesterday it was Leicester, no problem though. Great policing in Leicester I thought, no hassle. Not allowed off the station for obvious reasons but they worked around this for the smokers by allowing them to smoke in a secluded place on station, common sense and good policing in my eyes.

I looked at the trains, and it was dearer than you paid, Then online sites are rubbish.

How much do you reckon it would cost to give a section of Pride Park safe standing?

It'll never happen.

3 years Rams69 say's. How does he work that out? The stand is not designed for standing (if you know what I mean lol!), the bit where you stand will have a big step down in front of it.

It'll never happen.

3 years Rams69 say's. How does he work that out? The stand is not designed for standing, the bit where you stand will have a big step down in front of it.

It was a bit of a leading question.

Might be easier for older grounds (Ashton Gate immediately springs to mind), but surely they won't/can't do it in the newer grounds.

It'll never happen.

3 years Rams69 say's. How does he work that out? The stand is not designed for standing, the bit where you stand will have a big step down in front of it.

Not true. Rail seats - basically what most teams have in Germany is a piece of p*ss to implement in nearly all the grounds in England (old grounds like Goodison, perhaps a bit trickier for example due to shallow steps). This is the myth the FA, the government, the FLA etc have been peddling since they visited Hamburg in 2001, which has a really weird system which they have now actually replaced in parts.

Not true. Rail seats - basically what most teams have in Germany is a piece of p*ss to implement in nearly all the grounds in England (old grounds like Goodison, perhaps a bit trickier for example due to shallow steps). This is the myth the FA, the government, the FLA etc have been peddling since they visited Hamburg in 2001, which has a really weird system which they have now actually replaced in parts.

How's it done so easily?

It'll never happen.

3 years Rams69 say's. How does he work that out? The stand is not designed for standing (if you know what I mean lol!), the bit where you stand will have a big step down in front of it.

3 years I believe until it is allowed by law to have a safe standing option, not to say PPS will.

I know someone has already mentioned that PPS cannot accommodate safe standing, i haven't heard that before though and would like to see facts regarding this.

Of course its not designed for standing, it was designed for seating. However, PPS can handle an X amount of supporters standing at any one time. The change would be gaps in seats and a bar across each seat, nothing else would need to change in my opinion.

And in addition can be removed quite easily and quickly and taken back to be a seated stadium.

Don't get confused with what a terrace (old school) would be. It is totally different!!

Archived