Derby Away Following / Safe Standing / Football Specials

therams69

Just wanted to ask your opinions on the below whilst we have the international break, it is DC related.

Many fans want safe standing (option) introduced and as you know I very much back the idea. I think it will probably be only a matter of 3 years before this is introduced.

My point being in particular to yesterday was our large away following. I think its fair to say that the reason we had such a large following was because:-

1) Standing option available

2) Adult standing £20 ticket, excellent price for the already inflated price of attending a football game

3) Cheap public transport option, the train was about £20 return.

Does anyone else agree?

Hi Nick,

1) YES

2) YES

3) YES

Went last season to P'boro in the snow, and loved standing on the terrace again.

I have just looked at the train prices for Ipswich, standard 6 weeks before game in case of TV change etc, and its coming in at £87 return. A ridiculous price for a person to pay no matter a football fan (on top of match ticket) Should public transport not be encouraged? Surely?

I think a return of a more regulated football special should be encouraged and if not possible due to low away following then at least a special fare for fans attending the football on production of match ticket. Not only would this boost the coffers of Midland Mainline and the likes but also mean more fans would be able to travel to away games without having to pay overpriced train tickets.

I think mixed in with standing yesterday this encouraged a lot of fans to go to this match. If for example Leicester had standing we would have filled the end where as in reality we took a poor 1500.

Would be great if the above happened, not only for DC but also other clubs too. Surely something has to give? Attending football is no longer for the working man/woman it would seem.

Nick

In addition to it being no longer for the 'working man' - I am really concerned about the acute lack of young kids/teenagers in the ground. Perhaps standing/cheaper prices could help to persuade them to attend ?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're all sat at home watching ManYou on the box or playing on FIFA 2014

Can you blame them though? This is the wider problem. If they saw there mates having fun, singing away, having a bounce, enjoying the atmosphere as well as the game they will come back.

Forget ticket prices, there is a reason why so many of the younger generation went to the BBG on their own compared to PPS today where they probably go with parents and then drift off as bored.

Well done, fella - i heard you.

You came over very well.

Keep at it.

Thanks mate, hate talking on radio...

Will be interested to hear the debate on talksport, we have to remember not everyone wants it, HOWEVER, it will not affect everyone so hopefully if fans push hard enough then a law change can occur and only then would it be in the hands of Derby County to choose.

it would be interesting to see if clubs just did it, they still technically have seats, it is still an all seater stadium technically if the government says no the clubs should just say no we want to do this we will do this, let's face it people stand at matches and does anything happen? no it doesn't.

Radio Derby done. Think Colin and Roger liked my points on safe standing.

Roll on talksport now!

If Bloomfield liked your points I would be worried, I heard and he came across as pretty clueless as to the points you made so well. I think Peterbrough shows that the potential is there to reinvigorate the away support there were hundreds of lads on the train and a lot of those were saying they don't even set foot inside Pride Park.

This shows that some effort needs to be made by Glick and co to get the youth of Derby back involved.

1 CONSISTENTLY reasonable priced match to match tickets not some deal on a website, which will attract tight middle class fans.

2 A Vocal fans section with good relations with authority. North Stand would be perfect.

3 Standing would be a big bonus and there is no credible reason why this should not happen. It works well in Germany and would reenergise the game, which will decline rapidly over the next few years without change. All the protests from Liverpool should be ignored it is a different time with different safety regulations.

Not listened to it yet (been out), I guess they have an Iplayer type thing, but supposedly the whole thing was very much for the idea, which is nice. Just voted yes on their poll too, which has 88% down as a "yes to standing areas". Hopefully the roadshow will come to Derby, Glick likes it, pushes it through at his football league meetings and hey presto, law change. Well, I can hope!

It was a good debate on talksport, missed the last 10 minutes as was playing football but was the 2nd caller on.

Still annoyed me though how all this safe standing kept being related back to the old days of football terracing. It will not be anything like that and we need to get that message through.

Cheaper prices will come through safe standing.

You are right football is declining and will continue to decline. I dont think its always down to the football, if we lost and you still had a great time on the safe standing it would increase the chances of you coming back either next week or buying your ST next year.

Radio Derby done. Think Colin and Roger liked my points on safe standing.

Roll on talksport now!

i thought it was you.

I read this post before the normal moan-in, thought it was you.

Then you commited the cardinal sin of advertising talk sport on BBC radio.

Nice!

Also as annoying as Stan collymore is, at least he got a few jibes at the giner prat Durham in.

Well I couldnt possibly break my promises to Boycie! LOL!!

RD knew I was going to mention Talksport beforehand and they were happy with it. National debate took place and then hopefully once I get things sorted this end we can have a chat in the studio with Colin in more detail specifically related to Derby County.

Yes Stan is very good!

Ha Ha when listening last night I said to friends I thought it was "Nick from the forum" they said I was very very sad for knowing that!!!! I now know your 29 and sound like you are quite sane and gave a very good account of yourself, should of gave Stan some stick though mate!!!

I'm all for a return to terraces, cheaper, fantastic atmosphere. However lets not delude ourselves about the safety issue - nothing has changed in the last 20 years or 50 years - it is not a different age now.

My daughter broke her little finger on Saturday after Derbys second goal.

Ha Ha when listening last night I said to friends I thought it was "Nick from the forum" they said I was very very sad for knowing that!!!! I now know your 29 and sound like you are quite sane and gave a very good account of yourself, should of gave Stan some stick though mate!!!

HA HA!! Well I like to think I am sane! I am just a typical Derby fan that goes home and away. Just normal, I think.......

Thank you, yeah wanted to mention 10 men but will save that for another day mate!!

I'm all for a return to terraces, cheaper, fantastic atmosphere. However lets not delude ourselves about the safety issue - nothing has changed in the last 20 years or 50 years - it is not a different age now.

My daughter broke her little finger on Saturday after Derbys second goal.

It is not a return of terraces.

It is "safe standing"

This is why it will become a problem, alot of fans seem to think that its the old terrace that is coming back like Peterborough, this is not the case. This is also why I am very keen to bring the safe standing roadshow to Derby to supporters can be educated and see it for themselves.

May I suggest googling safe standing or checking out the Football Supporters Federation website. Plenty of links and some great information.

One crucial thing here is that it is "safe"

Hope your daughter is okay after her injury on saturday?

Archived