hey my throughts about portmouth game

B4ev6is

"Attack is the best form of defence"

It could be come a 4-5-1 when we don't have the ball, with Bryson becoming DM.

The reason why I hate 4-4-2 is beacuase it is so stagnant.

attack isn't always the best form of defence, if you attack like you would in that formation you would get ripped to shreds. Who would play in center midfield in that system? davies and maguire? the personnel just don't fit.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ruddy bloody hell - 4-4-2 works!!

4-4-2 only works if your strikers are intelligent and do alot of running..

4-4-2 will never work with S.Davies because he isn't mobile enough, we don't have the bodies in CM to play possession football (you need 3 CMs to dominate a midfield) and 4-4-2 needs width (B.Davies isn't a natural winger) so you need a striker to run the channels (which S.Davies doesn't do) to collect the inevitable long balls from the back..

However it worked yesterday as Robinson and Maguire both defended from the front and both ran the channels.. If one of them stops, the formation goes to pot..

I much prefer a 4-3-3 formation with a RW cutting in (ie. Maguire or Cywka), Ward on the left with Robinson up top (or a new striker) a CM 3 of Bryson, Bailey and Hendrick.. and Brayford playing as a virtual RW.. However with our injuries this is near impossible at the moment as we don't have the personnel to play that.

B.Davies IMO offers little in terms of open play but he's vital in our current formation as he's the only one who can put in a decent deadball and offers decentish defensive work.. He's handy, but wouldn't be in my DCFC starting 11 if all fit..

B.Davies IMO offers little in terms of open play

That's very harsh. There was one game I went to where he scored from open play, and set up two assists - a MOM performance. I think he can be very industrial and productive. Maybe not an out and out winger but horses for courses.

4-4-2 will never work with S.Davies because he isn't mobile enough, we don't have the bodies in CM to play possession football (you need 3 CMs to dominate a midfield) and 4-4-2 needs width (B.Davies isn't a natural winger) so you need a striker to run the channels (which S.Davies doesn't do) to collect the inevitable long balls from the back..

However it worked yesterday as Robinson and Maguire both defended from the front and both ran the channels.. If one of them stops, the formation goes to pot..

I much prefer a 4-3-3 formation with a RW cutting in (ie. Maguire or Cywka), Ward on the left with Robinson up top (or a new striker) a CM 3 of Bryson, Bailey and Hendrick.. and Brayford playing as a virtual RW.. However with our injuries this is near impossible at the moment as we don't have the personnel to play that.

B.Davies IMO offers little in terms of open play but he's vital in our current formation as he's the only one who can put in a decent deadball and offers decentish defensive work.. He's handy, but wouldn't be in my DCFC starting 11 if all fit..

It also depends who you play against as to what system works. They seemed pretty reliant on getting the ball to Kitson at all costs, rather than getting it down an playing it - we didn't really need a defensive midfielder to break up the play.

It worked because the two central midfielders were tireless - once one becomes a passenger and doesn't track, or go forward with an attack, a big gap is created. The forwards did well but I think the midfield really made it happen yesterday - including B Davies.

442 never works, I mean no team ever wins anything playing it? Its fine to play that way and many teams play that way and are a lot better than us, many of the prem sides play it and most of the teams in the champ. I agree when you get into the champions league but people really need to stop playing champ manager. I love it when people say managers like Harry Rednapp arent tactically good enough, what a load of rubbish. You dont get where they are and not know more about tactics than the man on the street.

see the game bris?

is this the same ben davies who was leading the division in assists?

see the game bris?

is this the same ben davies who was leading the division in assists?

Yeh, the majority have come from set pieces.. But he wouldn't get in my DCFC side given everyone is fit because his general play isn't as good as Brysons, Baileys nor Hendricks.. And he isn't a winger.. He's useful though..

Yes I did see the game, the full 90 minute highlights..

4-4-2 worked against Pompey at home because of the runners we had uptop... It failed miserably against Coventry, Middlesborough, Southampton, Reading, Leicester etc.. because S.Davies doesn't do any running, he isn't mobile.. What's worse is S.Davies uptop on his own in a 4-5-1.. It's constant pressure (see Leicester City at home last season)

I don't claim to know more than Harry Redknapp, but if it wasn't for my life here I'd definately move to either Spain or Portugal to take up football coaching.. I believe my ideas are top notch..

see bris - i don't believe you and i think you talk rubbish.

that's fine.

you claim to see a stream here highlights there and quite frankly i think you are fibbing.

i'll give you an example - the watford game - you were on here telling everyone about how we had played - there was no stream - or highlights - perhaps just in your head.

davies' assists from set pieces? really?

you constantly post in assertions - most of which do not hold up to scrutiny

but what really bugs me is that you think you know better than people who actually do go to games.

Yeh, the majority have come from set pieces.. But he wouldn't get in my DCFC side given everyone is fit because his general play isn't as good as Brysons, Baileys nor Hendricks.. And he isn't a winger.. He's useful though..

Yes I did see the game, the full 90 minute highlights..

4-4-2 worked against Pompey at home because of the runners we had uptop... It failed miserably against Coventry, Middlesborough, Southampton, Reading, Leicester etc.. because S.Davies doesn't do any running, he isn't mobile.. What's worse is S.Davies uptop on his own in a 4-5-1.. It's constant pressure (see Leicester City at home last season)

I don't claim to know more than Harry Redknapp, but if it wasn't for my life here I'd definately move to either Spain or Portugal to take up football coaching.. I believe my ideas are top notch..

When you watch a game on TV, you only see what the lens sees - at a match you see the running, movement and everything else off the ball.

Davies does do more than take free kicks. Honest.

see bris - i don't believe you and i think you talk rubbish.

that's fine.

you claim to see a stream here highlights there and quite frankly i think you are fibbing.

i'll give you an example - the watford game - you were on here telling everyone about how we had played - there was no stream - or highlights - perhaps just in your head.

davies' assists from set pieces? really?

you constantly post in assertions - most of which do not hold up to scrutiny

but what really bugs me is that you think you know better than people who actually do go to games.

No, you think you know better than me because you go to games.. Not once have I ever said I know more than those that go to games, I've always said that those that go to games have no more of an opinion than those that don't and those who watch via a stream or telly etc..

I told you after the Watford game that the formation was all wrong and we were pummelled.. We were, we was playing 4-1-3-2 or something stupid like that.. I started a thread crying for a CM 3 of Bryson Bailey and Hendrick, and we played exactly that at Blackpool and were much better and I creditied NC and the team for a solid performance..

When did I say that I saw the Watford game via a stream? I've seen every game, 90 minutes this season, via streams, 90 minute repeats or 90 minute highlights via Rams player.. This gives me the same amount as credibility as someone who watches from from K munching a tuna sandwich, standing up to he song 'stand up if you hate Forest' which automatically pees off the elderly guy behind with a dodgy hip..

Not all of B.Davies' assists have come from set peices, but the goals against Brum, Blackpool, Reading off the top of my head were directly from a corner or freekick..

When you watch a game on TV, you only see what the lens sees - at a match you see the running, movement and everything else off the ball.

Seriously mate let's not go there with this debate again, we all know that it's exactly the same..

i agree - sat is the perfect example - whilst his contribution in a creative sense was not his best - it thought his defensive play was top notch.

there were at least three occasions where he tracked back and made key challenges.

like i posted earlier - you post assertions far too often. these imply you know best.

bris - it's not just me thinking it...

Would it help if I write IMO at the start of every sentence?

IMO S.Davies doesn't move alot. IMO we play better with a front 3. IMO Maguire has better ballcontrol and intelligence than S.D. IMO B.Davies doesn't offer too much during open play.. IMO.. 4-4-2 isn't a successful formation unless you have mobile strikers. IMO Barker is overrated and an average NPC CB. IMO Tyson is a waste of money. IMO Croft limits Brayfords play when played at RW. IMO we'll finish midtable this season. IMO we're very negative with 10 minutes remaining in games.

Better or not?

Archived