hey my throughts about portmouth game

B4ev6is

So you are suggesting that Brendan Rogers can manage his team on a Saturday and get to the Nou Camp or wherever they are playing away by 9pm? Cloud Cuckoo Land

When you say there isn't a team where you live, do you mean no top league team, no pro team, no semi pro or no football at all?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you are suggesting that Brendan Rogers can manage his team on a Saturday and get to the Nou Camp or wherever they are playing away by 9pm? Cloud Cuckoo Land

When you say there isn't a team where you live, do you mean no top league team, no pro team, no semi pro or no football at all?

No football at all, I practically live on an island.. Only a 5 a side league played on artificial grass, though the touch and move football some of them play is pretty good..

And are you suggesting that Swansea City play at 3pm every saturday and Barca play at 9pm every Saturday?

To be fair Bris, there are things you see live at the game that you cant see watching on telly. Admittedly you can see 90% of things watching on telly but certain movements, pressing and positioning isnt picked up by the cameras.

Why would clubs bother sending scouts to games or managers attending other teams games that are live on sky.

I am in a similar scenario to Bris in that all I see is TV/streaming and highlights - you get a decent feel for a game and definitely enough to have an opinion although I would always hesitate to question things like formation, effort and mobility as these are exactly the things you miss on TV, you generally only see what players do on the ball so B.Davies has been pretty impressive although not a traditional winger.

I think Football as a sport is the biggest difference - I have seen Boxing, Cricket, Rugby, F1, Golf and Tennis live and on TV as well as Football and it definitely had the biggest difference although Tennis was pretty impressive as I really didn't realise how hard they hit it.

Of course the other angle is on TV you see a lot that you don't see in the crowd, if you are in a corner and something is happening up the other end it is tough to see who is doing what so in that area TV is actually better (IMO) but I would struggle to criticize a player for effort or the formation as I just don't see the whole picture.

To be fair Bris, there are things you see live at the game that you cant see watching on telly. Admittedly you can see 90% of things watching on telly but certain movements, pressing and positioning isnt picked up by the cameras.

Why would clubs bother sending scouts to games or managers attending other teams games that are live on sky.

As a tracker.. They don't give a damn what anyone else does, they solely fix their eyes on the one player for the whole 90 minutes.. Alot IMO is also the judgement of body language, when certain things don't go their way no one likes to see a player just throw his arms up in a strop.. Those could be the things you don't see on the telly admittadly..

But as far as formations go, player positioning and movement I can see everything on a telly that someone in the ground can see..

But I don't honestly believe for a minute that I'm anyway disadvantaged in my opinion just because I don't go to watch the games live.. And I also don't see many people criticising the likes of Mark Lawrenson, Alan Hanson, Alan Shearer etc.. when they do their analysis, they can't be at everygame at once.. They form their opinions through watching the telly, are they less knowledgable than your row K tuna sandwich muncher?

I think we all have people who's opinion we would value more than others whether they go to a game or not so can't really compare a professional pundit to a "row K tuna etc" whoever that may be. As you say quite a few go to the game for the social aspect, singing aspect and so may not be the best person to assess the merits of a 4-3-3 against a 4-2-3-1 and they probably wouldn't care

Only way to apply it is do you think you personally would have a better view on a game if you were there to see it live, I can only speak for myself but I honestly feel that I would especially as I probably would watch the highlights etc on the box or RP afterwards anyway and so get both points of view.

How many times have you found yourself screaming at the TV because they don't keep up with play or the camera focusing on the ball at the wingers feet rather than the midfielders running into the box (or not), you will miss stuff - as I said it's a different view on TV and in someways better but for me you'll never beat the real thing (not that I will ever move back:)

The classic TV debate again.

Maybe those who have a problem with opinions based on watching the 90 mins on the Internet should think about quit using forums as a high percentage of members don't attend games.

I'm getting pissed off with people's posts being rubbished due to not actually being at the game rather than actually discussing the points made.

Every member has a right to having an opinion on this forum positive, negative and from South America.

I watch every game the same as Bris on the internet, I've spent a ******* fortune in the 3 years keeping this forum online and if it gets to the point where I couldn't have an opinion I'd pull the plug.

In a recent game at pp the away team Southampton had a corner that went to the front post and theo was there, he gave it a bid boot upfield as a Clarence that went into the opposition half!! He then started to chase his own hoof at sprinting pace, just to try and relieve the pressure on the defence!! He prob sprinted 2/3rds of the pitch yet Steve Davies was prob 20 yards away from where it landed.. Did tv show Davies making no effort to win the ball or just show theo chasing!! Things like that that the cameras dnt pick up on!!

IMO you can see how a well a team plays on tv but off ball movement and positioning is not seen!!

The classic TV debate again.

Maybe those who have a problem with opinions based on watching the 90 mins on the Internet should think about quit using forums as a high percentage of members don't attend games.

I'm getting pissed off with people's posts being rubbished due to not actually being at the game rather than actually discussing the points made.

Every member has a right to having an opinion on this forum positive, negative and from South America.

I watch every game the same as Bris on the internet, I've spent a ******* fortune in the 3 years keeping this forum online and if it gets to the point where I couldn't have an opinion I'd pull the plug.

Totally agree, i dont get to many games, i work saturdays,and all week, i go to any game i can, and i watch and read everything about my beloved DCFC, and have for 45 years, i'd like to think my opinion is as valid as a guy who goes to every game, i had my time doing that when i was a teen, one year in 1967 i think, missing 2 games,one was a friendly at St. Johnstone ! the other Milwall at home, i had measles ?

I like others watch a lot on T.V and online, and bow to superior knowledge, i want to read superior knowledge, so totally agree with all you say, and thank you for all your hard work and commitment daveo, and the others who make sites like this one available,so i can follow every word about MY team .....

I loved that as admin, you got ******ed 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' />

It is, don't worry about that.

I don't, and to qualify what i mean by 'superior knowledge', its someone who actually was present, in the flesh and saw or heard that which we are discussing,or has a proffesional/or qualified opinion, otherwise it just a point of view... same as mine.

Archived