The72unite

the72unite

unfortunately this battle and probably war was lost a long time ago - the changes to the parachute payments, the creation of a european league via the so called champions league groups and the link between the UEFA cup and the champions league and now the latest in a long line, the academy system changes - are all designed for one thing only, to keep the so called top clubs at the top and never mind the rest (including Derby).

The recent chat about no relegation, proportional distribution of TV money, selling TV rights for individual clubs abroad and all the rest are merely the next steps and Dave Whelan threatening to remove Wigan will have little impact, as will Harry and Fergie protesting. In the end they are employees and will do as they are told - or not be there.

This is what companies - because that is all the so called top 5 in England and the few others elsewhere are now - do. They chase growth to the exclusion of all else. And eventually in order to get new growth you have to chase something completely different. But you also have to protect yourself by absorbing other companies, by changing the rules of the game. Feeder clubs anyone? What are long terms loans from over inflated premier league squads other than a sophisticated feeder system?

which is why this right but is too little too late. The self perpetuation of the new order has to be broken. The Berlin Wall did come down, eventually. So did Gadaffi, so will Fidel Castro. Orders can change but only when the foundations collapse. And in this case it is TV/Sky and its money that needs to go, or one/two/three of the 'top 5' that have to become so poor at playing that they go down, or some Arabs/americans have to go bust under the weight of their debt with no one to replace them.

Which is why, with an increasingly heavy heart, i am coming to the (almost) inevitable conclusion that the club i love and have supported for nearly 50 years, that i have seen win leagues and get to semi-finals of european competitions, that i have given to my son for the next generation, is better off where it is - in a league with proper competition still, where good management and players can prosper still, where i can travel home and away and watch honest performance, endeavour, some skill and maybe a victory, instead of overblown hype and overrated celebrity.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What should be done is get a epetition going and make parliament investigate the strangle hold that the premiership has on football.

It is about time that the fans do do something about this, and not just accept it. Boycotting games is only hurting your own club, we have a democratic system, instead of moaning about it, start putting pressure on it to actually do something about it. We, the fans, are as guilty as anyone as we are happy to rant, however the vast majority are too lazy to actually start to think about what you can do.

Unfortunately so am I, time for a change in my attitude.

Of which there's no chance of happening if fans don't want to miss even 5 minutes (which they probably miss when leaving early/going for a p*ss/getting a pint anyway). Got to start somewhere and this is as good a start as any.

All Derby fans should do this if they don't want to see us lose Mason Bennett for £2.50. If they still don't want to do something about it, then they have no right to moan when that happens whatsoever.

Don't tell me I don't have a right to do anything. I think these new rules are completely pathetic and something needs to be done but im not missing 5 minutes of a match ive payed for, especially when ive seen every minute of every match for 11 years.

I'm not saying it is right but... won't the new legislation help us more than it will hinder us?

Our academy will stand a good chance of getting a category one status as it is well funded, very well equiped, will surely meet all the academic requirements and more importantly the category has no bearing on league position.

Also the abolition of the 90min rule will allow us to bring in players from more traditional breeding grounds attracted by our facilities and set up.

Don't tell me I don't have a right to do anything. I think these new rules are completely pathetic and something needs to be done but im not missing 5 minutes of a match ive payed for, especially when ive seen every minute of every match for 11 years.

Wow I wish I was as good a fan as you.

Doing what you can isnt turning up late for 1 game- demand a refund on your season ticket, cancel your sky subscription, stand on st peters street giving lectures, start a face book group, boycott the games by starting a picket line and shouting "scab" at any fans going to the game. Throw eggs at the FA head quarters, send threatening letters, chain yourself to railings, steal the EPL trophy and melt it down, abduct gary lineker. Then realise that it still didn't make a difference to your cause (just got you put in prison).

To be honest, I just don't have the time or inclination to go to those lengths for a sport I don't really care about that much anymore. If there's something organised i'll join in but i'm not going to spend years of my life protesting on my own.

As for your suggestions...

I don't have a Sky subscription and never will.

Facebook groups do f**k all - I know this through the Safe Standing campaign - got thousands of people on the facebook page and E-petitions but that particular battle will be won (or most likely lost) in Parliament.

Boycott games, again one person isn't going to change anything - if there was a mass boycott, yes i'd join in with it but me missing games on my own isn't going to do anything and i'd rather not insult fellow fans just because they want to go to the game.

To be honest, I just don't have the time or inclination to go to those lengths for a sport I don't really care about that much anymore. If there's something organised i'll join in but i'm not going to spend years of my life protesting on my own.

As for your suggestions...

I don't have a Sky subscription and never will.

Facebook groups do f**k all - I know this through the Safe Standing campaign - got thousands of people on the facebook page and E-petitions but that particular battle will be won (or most likely lost) in Parliament.

Boycott games, again one person isn't going to change anything - if there was a mass boycott, yes i'd join in with it but me missing games on my own isn't going to do anything and i'd rather not insult fellow fans just because they want to go to the game.

Exactly my point- there is no point as it won't make a difference

Might aswell do it as not.

"well no one will do it so i wont. What difference will i make on my own" it's the first thing that comes into all our minds straight away.

I'd guess it's a typical British line of thought aswell?? Don't exactly rally about much do we? We just all take **** we don't like because "i can't do owt about it on my own".

But THAT is the reason this wont work. Because nearly everyone who is angry about this thinks exactly the same way. And this will die a humiliating death.

Why not just say fluck it. It's only 5 mins. More happens in the last 5 mins of games than the first anyway. Doesn't seem to stop people leaving then. The place is bloody half empty by the 85th min.

Why not do it? 1 day, 1 game. 5mins? If no one else does it then you've probably not missed a great deal. If everyone else does it........ well, it might atleast show the not so money men (what few of them there is) where our game is headed.

Sky and the PL. Build a bonfire for 'em.

I do agree with this - I hate being late for the start.

We'll probably score as well.

Last home game we scored in 3 minutes!! Dont want to miss another possible early goal. Seriously though the agreement is a total disgrace and it is time the FL stood up to the Premier League. Who needs the PL anyway, they are all far to greedy. The FL teams were 'advised' to vote yes or lose £70k from the PL

The FL Championship is the 4th most watched league in the world and perhaps it is time the FL started to promote the Championship as an alternative to the PL.Time to break away I think and let the foriegn owners get there way and have a European league. Then watch the likes of Wigan and Blackburn come running to the Championship

Will the protest make a difference? Who knows until you try. If it gets mentioned by the media & gets noticed then the extra publicity can't hurt.

Whilst there may be more effective ways to protest, surely it can't hurt to do this in addition to other protests.

Archived