Derby County v Southampton

Day

I'm pleased that we seem to have found a formula that makes hard to beat. I know we got wiped out at Leicester but other than that, teams haven't had it easy against us, and we held a side that are technically much better than us.

I think we would have rolled over after the equaliser a year ago. Well done.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anderson was **** , is **** and will aways be ****!

ummm.... interesting comment

how come **** passes the swear filter?

yet **** doesn't?

anderson was ****, is **** and will always be ****

surely **** is ruder than **** ?

The difference yesterday was Southampton had a striker who can score goals and a manager with the balls to go for a win. Striker wise ,theo isnt good enough and steve davies is lazy,both dissappointing.

Manager wise clough doesnt seem to have any confidence in his subs,or he is incredibly naive or both.He seemed to be happy to play out for a point yesterday,whilst saints were going for 3 points.He only brought Cywka on because he had to.

We were also defending far too deep for long periods of the game,inviting saints to attack.Instead of being pitchside barking orders to the team,clough was reclining in his seat.

We will win nothing with him.

On the contrary I thought Derby were the better side after Soton equalised. Soton dominated the game while it was 1-0 but you would expect that. I agree with your comments about Lambert and Clough would love to sign him however as Clough pointed out in interview he cost £1.5m and we're not in for such players!

On the contrary I thought Derby were the better side after Soton equalised. Soton dominated the game while it was 1-0 but you would expect that. I agree with your comments about Lambert and Clough would love to sign him however as Clough pointed out in interview he cost £1.5m and we're not in for such players!

I agree. Whilst they were the better team overall, after they scored they became less effective and threatening. I thought we looked the more likely winner at the end.

Found this report on the Sunday Mirror website.......

Nigel Adkins never gets tired of telling anyone who will listen that his Southampton side just want to be the best they can.

Right now, they are playing to the maximum of their ­potential as they maintain their surprise grip on top spot in the Championship.

And, if they carry on like this, then Adkins and his Saints will surely go marching into the Premier League on the back of ­successive promotions.

This was tagged the toughest test of the season so far by both managers ahead of kick-off and so it proved, with third-placed Derby ­giving as good as they got in an absorbing encounter.

It was a game either side could have won, but both should be happy to settle for a share of the spoils. And, on the evidence of the quality ­paraded by both teams, they are both going to be in the shake-up for places in the top flight come next May.

Despite their 4-0 trouncing at East Midlands rivals Leicester two week earlier, the Rams have still made their best start to a season for 40 years.

Boss Nigel Clough, who will sign his new three-year deal this week, said: “It was an excellent Championship game between two quality teams.

“You certainly couldn’t fault my players for their honesty and effort against a side who showed why they are top.

“That was a game we might have lost in the last couple of seasons, but we didn’t buckle and a draw was fair overall.”

Derby had surged ahead in the third minute.

Midfielder Jeff Hendrick found Ben Davies with a cross from the left, after a clever dummy by Steven Davies had unhinged the visitors’ defence.

The striker’s fiercely hit drive was well parried by ­Kelvin Davis but the keeper enjoyed no luck as the ball fell straight to the feet of Theo ­Robinson, who gleefully fired home his third goal this term.

It didn’t take Saints long to re-gain their composure and they almost levelled after 19 minutes.

Rickie Lambert floated a free-kick into the Rams’ box, where Frazer Richardson nodded on for veteran hit-man David Connolly to put in a close-range header which keeper Frank Fielding held.

Only another fine save from Fielding and goal-line clearance by Steven Davies preserved the home side’s lead.

Fielding threw himself full length to his left to keep out Guly Do Prado’s 34th minute and a minute later Jose Fonte’s header was booted off the line by Davies.

Ben Davies almost doubled Derby’s lead six minutes after the break but, after cutting in from the right, he was unlucky to see his low left-foot effort hit the side-netting.

A Saints equaliser always looked on the cards and ­Lambert duly provided it with a clinical 61st minute strike.

He played a one-two with ­Connolly before firing a drive into the bottom corner for his 11th of the season. Clough’s outfit might have snatched a late winner when Jason Shackell’s header was cleared off the line.

Adkins said: “We didn’t quite have the cutting edge in this one but we have got a good squad of players.

“We have got a great team spirit going and the lads are all working hard for each other.

“We try to play the game right way and our objective is to stay in the race at the top end of the table.”

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Derby-1-1-Southampton-match-report-Rickie-Lambert-cancels-out-Theo-Robinson-goal-article813110.html#ixzz1aw34rzA2

Wouldn't quite agree with you, after they equalised for bout 5 mins we was on the back foot and was all a sixes and sevens at the back, then it even out a bit before Derby took control . IMO of course

[size=4]Match Report[/size]

[size=4][url=http://jmp90.wordpress.com/2011/10/16/resilient-rams-hold-on-to-a-point-derby-county-1-1-southampton-%e2%80%93-saturday-15th-october-2011/]Resilient Rams hold on to a point – Derby County 1-1 Southampton – Saturday 15th October 2011[/size]

In what was so far arguably the biggest match of the 2011/12 nPower Championship, Pride Park Stadium was open to a sell-out crowd of over 33,000 fans. Welcoming 2,500 travelling fans, England’s fourth highest attendance was in Derbyshire today.

[size=4]It was a big game because it was first against third. Derby were thankful of the opportunity during the international break to rest a side that does a lot of running to get its wins. Though a dismal defeat away at Leicester prior to the break made fans fear that they would be outclassed once again today by another of the top teams outside of the Premiership, Southampton. Nigel Adkins side were on top, and needed just to come away from the East Midlands unbeaten in order to guarantee their status.[/size]

[size=4]The only change to the Derby eleven was Russell Anderson in for John Brayford. The Stoke-born right-back was missing his first match since August 2010. Despite not being the most massively enjoyable game for Rams fans to watch, the home team couldn’t really have started any better. In a brilliant opening attacking play that involved speed and neat passing, Ben Davies launched a powerful shot from just outside the box that was parried away by Saints ‘keeper Kelvin Davis. However, Theo Robinson was in the right place at the right time to knock in his first goal of the season. A goal that the fans agree he deserves as a reward for his hard work and threatening pace demonstrated in previous games such as the recent midweek encounter with Barnsley.[/size]

[size=4]Though disappointingly, Derby couldn’t keep their momentum throughout the rest of the half. Southampton were able to ping the ball about, and kept a staggering seventy-percent of first half possession. Derby looked very much on the back foot and were probably relieved to go into half-time still ahead. With Guy Do Prado and Jose Fonte having opportunities, it was feared Southampton would equalise. Derby consistently gave the ball away, and lacking a driving force in midfield really struggled to keep possession.[/size]

[size=4]It was frustrating that Derby went out in to the second half in the same poor rhythm. Still on the back foot with Southampton battling to remain top of the table and making efforts on goal, an equaliser from in-form striker Ricky Lambert was inevitable. Derby’s defence could have done much better but the goal was one of quality. Utilising fellow striker Connolly, a one-two pass was made that freed the Football League’s leading goal-scorer to wrap up a neat finish past Frank Fielding and level the afternoon’s proceedings.[/size]

[size=4]Otherwise Frank Fielding had given a remarkable performance, making some fine saves that kept Southampton from scoring on several occasions. Without the England ‘keeper. Derby could have easily suffered their second home defeat of the season. After the 4-0 defeat by Leicester at the Walkers Stadium two weeks prior, it was feared that the south coast title challengers could have steamrolled the Rams.[/size]

[size=4]Though it seemed to perk up Nigel Clough’s side a little, who saving their best period of the match till last made more attacks going forward. Late on, Steve Davies suffered a nasty looking injury to his skull that will keep him out for the next six weeks. Returning from last season’s freezing out, Polish forward Tomasz Cywka came on to replace him. Alongside Theo Robinson, their pace had an impact. Ben Davies and Jamie Ward were able to provide their usual flair on the wings. Delivering crosses and winning a corner, a Jason Shackell came very close to grabbing a late winner but it was cleared off the line. During a whopping seven-minute stoppage time, Do Prado made the last effort of the game which was stopped by Fielding.[/size]

[size=4]As the final whistle went, it was agreeable that a draw was the fairest result this afternoon. Now the Rams prepare for two away fixtures at Reading and Middlesbrough. In the post-match interview, Nigel Clough admitted that the Derby County of last season would probably have fallen to a defeat as result of Southampton’s equaliser and constant pressure. So it was positive to see a very resilient Derby, who had a confident goalkeeper, gain a point against one of the few teams ranked higher than them this season.[/size]

[size=4]

[/size]

[url=http://jmp90.wordpress.com/2011/10/16/resilient-rams-hold-on-to-a-point-derby-county-1-1-southampton-%E2%80%93-saturday-15th-october-2011/]http://jmp90.wordpress.com/2011/10/16/resilient-rams-hold-on-to-a-point-derby-county-1-1-southampton-%E2%80%93-saturday-15th-october-2011/

The difference yesterday was Southampton had a striker who can score goals and a manager with the balls to go for a win. Striker wise ,theo isnt good enough and steve davies is lazy,both dissappointing. Manager wise clough doesnt seem to have any confidence in his subs,or he is incredibly naive or both.He seemed to be happy to play out for a point yesterday,whilst saints were going for 3 points.He only brought Cywka on because he had to. We were also defending far too deep for long periods of the game,inviting saints to attack.Instead of being pitchside barking orders to the team,clough was reclining in his seat. We will win nothing with him.

I thought on the way home that if you swapped Ricky Lambert for Steven Davis we'd have won. A lot of people sounded him out as a good potential purchase while he was in league 1 but he'd be an absolute stellar signing for us. I don't think he lost a header all day (even against Shackle), he's got a good touch, great awareness and showed great composure for his goal. You put a striker like that in our side and we'd be nailed on for a top 6 finish.

As for the game - I was tearing my hair out at some of the sloppy play, the apparent lack of confidence on the ball and the terrible decision making in the final third but at least we didn't crumble when they equalised. In fact I'd agree with Hucknull and say we were on top from 75 mins onwards but I think that's more down to Southampton being happy with a point, considering their away form of late, than us playing decent stuff or really going for it.

I guess it's a measure of how far we've come and our expectations that we're disappointed with just a point against the league leaders...

IMO Frank Fielding was MOTM - he pulled off some cracking saves - and he had to as well because Southampton made it look easy getting through our defense too many times.

I said before the game I'd be happy with a point, well done lads.

IMO Frank Fielding was MOTM - he pulled off some cracking saves - and he had to as well because Southampton made it look easy getting through our defense too many times.

DId he? I remember one good save from Guly, late in the first half. Plus we cleared two off the line from set-pieces. But aside from that it was all relatively routine stuff for Fielding. For all their possession and pretty football, I thought they actually created very little.

DId he? I remember one good save from Guly, late in the first half. Plus we cleared two off the line from set-pieces. But aside from that it was all relatively routine stuff for Fielding. For all their possession and pretty football, I thought they actually created very little.

I thought so. After I read through Joe's post above, it seems the guy who did the match report thought so too. I reckon he saved us from a loss there.

Archived