Bryson Interview - The Sun.

MrsRam

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good interview, good player.

Like this bit.......

[size=4]

Nigel Clough's team — with an average wage of about £4,000 a week — are third in the Championship and could move to the top tomorrow with a win over big-spending Leicester.[/size]

[size=4]

In contrast to Clough, Sven Goran Eriksson has spent bucketloads of cash — with some players earning £40,000 a week. So far, Leicester are in 11th spot.[/size]

With a outlook and attitude like that, we know why there is such a team togetherness. Feet on the floor and real world experience. This guy demonstrates the mindset of the team. After the tevez incident this week, it is refreshing to know that not all pro footballers think the world owes them a constant stream of praise and the belief that they are so much above the rest of us. It would appear that the whole group of guys have exactly the same daily considerations as the fans and don't get carried away with the cheers on matchday. Good on you.

If you think about it that sounds about right. The average for all playing staff? Including 1st, reserve, youth teams?

Take some very round numbers... £9m and 40 players on pro contracts

£9,000,000 / 52 = £173,076 a week

/ 40 players = $4,327 each

So over the whole club may be correct, just not representative of the 1st team salaries.

AFTER making a lucrative move into English football, Craig Bryson is ready to splash out.

The Scotsman is purchasing a luxury home for his mum Liz, who has multiple sclerosis and needs a converted ground-floor property.

In the week a player earning £1million a month refused to appear as a substitute, Bryson — although admitting he now banks an excellent Championship salary — is proof that not all footballers are deluded idiots who have lost touch with reality.

Bryson is one of the understated players behind another Clough revolution at Derby which is promising to take the club back to the Premier League.

Nigel Clough's team — with an average wage of about £4,000 a week — are third in the Championship and could move to the top tomorrow with a win over big-spending Leicester.

In contrast to Clough, Sven Goran Eriksson has spent bucketloads of cash — with some players earning £40,000 a week. So far, Leicester are in 11th spot.

Central midfielder Bryson, who arrived as an unknown for £350,000 from Kilmarnock, said: "A lot of people associate football players with all the top earners.

"Sometimes footballers earn the same as any other job.

"I had four years at Clyde in the Scottish First Division. My first contract was £55 per week.

"When I became established I was moved to £150 a week. My final wage at Clyde was £300 and my first car was a £1,000 Corsa.

"Then I moved to Kilmarnock who were in the Scottish Premier League so my money moved up.

"But those small wages made me work a lot harder. I knew if I wanted to be comfortable in life I had to work harder to get there.

"Getting here, the money is a lot better. Obviously I am here for the opportunity and not the money. Equally, though, the salary will enable me to help my family.

"Mum was diagnosed as having multiple sclerosis at 26 and now she is 55.

"She has it in her back, legs and hands. She struggles with it and fights it every day. The doctors say she should be in a wheelchair by now but she is determined to beat in.

"I want to be successful for her. I want to make her proud and give her as much enjoyment as I can.

"I'm hoping to buy them a home with a ground-floor bedroom.

"But, most importantly for me, the football is going really well.

"We have a good manager who looks for bargains, at people from all levels. He knows Derby cannot pay millions for players but has done a great job with the resources available. I think, finally, this is his very own Derby team. The club suffered a hangover from relegation and he has had to rebuild everything.

"The atmosphere in the dressing room is great. You have to sing a song when you arrive and I chose the Proclaimers' '500 Miles' — I had to, I guess, because I am Scottish. But it wasn't the best experience in my life!

"The results are also good and to make a journey from the Scottish First Division to the Premier League would be unthinkable."

Despite being only 24, Bryson has already made more than 250 professional appearances.

Bryson, from East Kilbride, added: "When I was at Clyde, Roy Keane made his Celtic debut against us and we beat them 2-1. I scored the first goal.

"At Kilmarnock, I played in Robbie Keane's debut for Celtic and we beat them 1-0.

"In Scotland, I don't like the fact you can end up playing the same team six times in league and cup.

"Here, the stadiums and facilities are a lot better."

Bryson is frustrated he keeps getting ignored by Scotland.

He said: "I've been overlooked at all age groups. I have one senior cap, against the Faroe Islands.

"Particularly in the younger age groups, it seems Scotland would prefer to pick reserve players at Premier League clubs rather than those playing in the first team.

"They must think that's a better plan and it's frustrating. But **** happens."

Wow what a top guy, if the rest of the squad have a similar attitude it certainly looks healthy for the immediate and long term future. I think it is about time that players (Derby quad largly exempt), realise that they are their to do a job of work, and should do it as to the best that they can.

I think NC will only employ those who have this work ethic, and long may it continue, as personnally, I would sooner see small incremental improvements YOY, rather than over spend and under achieve.

Wow what a top guy, if the rest of the squad have a similar attitude it certainly looks healthy for the immediate and long term future. I think it is about time that players (Derby quad largly exempt), realise that they are their to do a job of work, and should do it as to the best that they can.

I think NC will only employ those who have this work ethic, and long may it continue, as personnally, I would sooner see small incremental improvements YOY, rather than over spend and under achieve.

Totally agree. Nigel should be getting huge congrats for the way he has rebuilt the club. GSE also have toughed it out and stuck by their idea's and their man. Derby County I feel are in safe hands.

Now...................let's get to stuffing that team in blue with idea's above their station!

UTR

What a top man. I read similar from him when he moved to Derby an article appeared in a Scotish paper and he mentioned his Mum. Family is so important to him.

Its good to have a rounded, level headed type of player rather than a Tevez "only here for the money" attitude. I notice a number of player interviews have appeared this week. They all sound a very together and a top bunch of people.

Mr Bryson should be in the Scotland squad but I'm sure that will come in time.

Makes you proud to be a Derby supported

If Derby continue to play well and stay around the top 6 I can't see them ignoring Bryson for long. Selfish as it sounds though I would prefer none of our players to get call ups!

I would prefer, however I think with Bryson he deserves it, hard to balance wanting proven internationals play for you, however the fear of injury if they do play for their country!

I love that our average wage is £4,000 p/w. This probably comes to about £250,000 a year, a lot more than most people earn but still not enough for it to put one out of reality. Including things such as tax, having a family etc most of our players won't be ridiculously rich yet. It's certainly not enough money to make someone sorted for life, so they don't actually even need to ever work again.

I just hope that if we were to get promoted then players wouldn't lose motivation despite being in the 5% bracket of PL players that aren't earning insane wages.

Archived