Shaun Barker reminder

PBW Ram

I should start by saying I'm absolutely delighted about the start young Mark O' Brien has made, the young uns' like a breath of fresh air, I've watched him launch himself at anything and everything.

He seems to have a great character as well, I hope he has a massive future with Derby and I'm convinced he's going to go on and play at the highest level.

Now having said all of that. I just want to "put out a shout" for Shaun Barker, our captain and the heart of the team for the last couple of seasons.

I've seen posts suggesting we could sell him, mentioning that OB should keep his place ahead of Shaun. that we might be alright without him.... I might get hammered for this but....

Hang on a minute, have we forgotten who Shaun Barker is? Have we forgotten how he plays?

Have we forgotten that Shackell was signed to play alongside Barker, he was bought to compliment him, left and right sided leaders at the heart of the defence.

I love "OB" and his attitude and the size of his heart but for me, the second Shaun Barker is fully fit, we get him back in the side.

We see what kind of back four we've got when Barker and Shackell are alongside each other..

I'm pretty convinced by now that NC can spot a player and I'd like to see whether he was right about Barks and Shacks together as quickly as possible.

Barker is still our leader in my eyes, Shackell looks to be a signing and a half, but Barker has earned the right to captain the side as soon as he's 100%.

Thoughts?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have to say i disagree old chum, unless o brien makes a mistake barker shouldn't come back in, we have shipped 1 goal in 4 league games what message does it send to the kid if barker comes straight back in when the lad has played great? it will only dishearten him, and for a young player that is a dangerous move, keep the young lad in until he makes a few mistakes.

Surely no one in their right mind would be serious about selling Barker. Granted he was off it last season but he was carrying an injury for a lot of that time.

This is the first time in a long, long time that I can remember us having 3 quality CBs.

It poses a tough decision for Nigel to make when Shaun's back, but the nice thing now is that we don't need to rush him. We can ease him in gradually, and carry on with OB's development in the meantime.

Surely no one in their right mind would be serious about selling Barker. Granted he was off it last season but he was carrying an injury for a lot of that time.

This is the first time in a long, long time that I can remember us having 3 quality CBs.

It poses a tough decision for Nigel to make when Shaun's back, but the nice thing now is that we don't need to rush him. We can ease him in gradually, and carry on with OB's development in the meantime.

who would want to sell him? i wouldn't but he should be made to fight for his place.

OB was in because no-one else was fit

but he's shown that he should now be in on merit

don't underestimate what he's doing....i particularly liked one thunderous leg-breaking tackle on the half way line v watford

he's right footed so works in combo with shackell just as well

have to say i disagree old chum, unless o brien makes a mistake barker shouldn't come back in, we have shipped 1 goal in 4 league games what message does it send to the kid if barker comes straight back in when the lad has played great? it will only dishearten him, and for a young player that is a dangerous move, keep the young lad in until he makes a few mistakes.

Strongly agree, for the first time on here.

barker shouldn't walk back into the team without proving anything, bare in mind we are yet to conceed a league goal with OB in defence.

i think Bloomers on the phone in tonight made an excellent point.

Barker isnt ready yet, by the time he is ready we will have seen O'brien in a lot more matches and will be able to judge him better, and gauge exactly how good O'brien is over a decent amount of games.

Clough must be delighted at the way OB has performed since coming in. He's grabbed his chance by the scuff of the neck and is certainly making picking Barker, when he is fit, difficult.

This is how it should be for postitions across the team, no one has a god given right to aplace in the team, that place has to be earned , OB is earning his place right now by doing all the right things. Barker will have to wait his turn .....hopefully it will make him just as determind to perform as OB is performing now.

Do me a favour - think you had all better check into the nearest Alzheimers clinic immediately - obviously your memories have deserted you!

WHEN fully fit, Barker is one of the best CBs weve had for years, not just

because he can head and kick, more for his link play with midfield and his

ability to play the ball out of defense, go around people and put a decent pass in or a ball into the box.

OB is a fantastic young player with massive potential, but doesnt compare to

a fit SB on any scale. Why do you think that Clough preferred to play him injured rather than get a fit standin - possibly because he was more influential to the results than you are giving him credit for.

Archived