Shaun Barker reminder

PBW Ram

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who knows but if he does he is a class above as his career proves.

I do not know if he will ever be the same player but he does seem to be overlooked by a lot of fans.

I feel really sorry for Riggot, he could have been a top top player if it wasn't for injuries.

Do me a favour - think you had all better check into the nearest Alzheimers clinic immediately - obviously your memories have deserted you!

WHEN fully fit, Barker is one of the best CBs weve had for years, not just

because he can head and kick, more for his link play with midfield and his

ability to play the ball out of defense, go around people and put a decent pass in or a ball into the box.

OB is a fantastic young player with massive potential, but doesnt compare to

a fit SB on any scale. Why do you think that Clough preferred to play him injured rather than get a fit standin - possibly because he was more influential to the results than you are giving him credit for.

Holy moly I highly rate Shaun Barker but seriously have you ever seen him pass the ball? It is certainly his weakest area.

Barker is a quality defender when fit, and will be in the team.. Although I do believe ob should play until barker earns his place back in the team, because shacks and ob are looking solid at the minute and seem to be commanding the defence, and playing well!! Ob will only get better with experience,

Barker needs to realise now that there is competition for places at the back as does shacks and everyone else!!

Ob had his place due to injuries and cough prob never wanted him to play so early in the year but he has taken his chance and now deserves to be there!! Get riggs fit and we have four solid centre halves.. For once in a few years derby county seem to have a well working decent defence!!

Clough can only take praise for this!!

I don't really care to see Barker back in the eleven if Shackell and O'Brien continue to impress and contribute towards us keeping clean sheets.

To be honest, I don't think it's any coincidence that we actually look like we can defend now that Barker isn't in the side.

Until last week, we hadn't kept three consecutive clean sheets in the league since 2006-07.

Shaun Barker has been part of a long-standing problem at the club for the past two years. We can't defend. But everyone at the club has put him on a pedestal to the point where he was a virtual ever-present last year without being fit and boy did we suffer for it.

No way does he walk back into the side. He's just not that good. Shackell has been here a matter of weeks and already we look more composed and resilient at the back than we ever have with Barker at the heart of our defence.

Shackell and O'Brien merit being our first-choice centre backs and until they perform poorly, I don't see any reason why that should change.

Shaun Barker is massively massively overrated.. Anyone on here would think he has world cup medals in his cabinate at home..

When in reality his highest and best ever finish in his career is 14th in The Championship.. Best we've had in years? Darren Moore and Dean Leacock in BDs promotion season were 5x better than Shaun Barkers ability..

With how we are at the moment, we're solid at the back..

If NC drops O'Brien (a talanted young CB whose been a revelation so far) for an overrated Shaun Barker he'll make one if the biggest errors of his Derby County career. Up there with playing Green at RB and Brayford CB.

What a kick in the teeth that will be for O'Brien who hasn't put a foot wrong all season.. Could set hm back, and it wouldn't suprise me if it set the team back aswell.. No one can convince me Barkers games to goals conceded ratio is actually of top 6 standard. More like bottom 6 standard.

But what do I know, I don't have a season ticket.

I don't really care to see Barker back in the eleven if Shackell and O'Brien continue to impress and contribute towards us keeping clean sheets.

To be honest, I don't think it's any coincidence that we actually look like we can defend now that Barker isn't in the side.

Until last week, we hadn't kept three consecutive clean sheets in the league since 2006-07.

Shaun Barker has been part of a long-standing problem at the club for the past two years. We can't defend. But everyone at the club has put him on a pedestal to the point where he was a virtual ever-present last year without being fit and boy did we suffer for it.

No way does he walk back into the side. He's just not that good. Shackell has been here a matter of weeks and already we look more composed and resilient at the back than we ever have with Barker at the heart of our defence.

Shackell and O'Brien merit being our first-choice centre backs and until they perform poorly, I don't see any reason why that should change.

100% agree mate.

As good as O'Brien has been so far, we need to remember that he's 18 years old. If he plays 20 games this season and continues his development, I think that will be enough, and Cloughie can reassess our central defence next season. For me, Barker has to come back after the international break, when he'll hopefully be fully fit, and maybe get some time on the pitch against Burnley and/or Coventry.

Unfair to lay the blame at Barker's doorstep, don't forget we no longer have sideways Sav, Bywater or Jones in goal. Last season we also had no real attacking force to take the pressure off the defence.

Some fans may not rate him (worth pointing out he won player of the season 09/10) but the manager made him captain this season so he obviously does, will he leave him sat on the bench when fit? highly unlikely.

Shaun Barker is massively massively overrated.. Anyone on here would think he has world cup medals in his cabinate at home..

When in reality his highest and best ever finish in his career is 14th in The Championship.. Best we've had in years? Darren Moore and Dean Leacock in BDs promotion season were 5x better than Shaun Barkers ability..

With how we are at the moment, we're solid at the back..

If NC drops O'Brien (a talanted young CB whose been a revelation so far) for an overrated Shaun Barker he'll make one if the biggest errors of his Derby County career. Up there with playing Green at RB and Brayford CB.

What a kick in the teeth that will be for O'Brien who hasn't put a foot wrong all season.. Could set hm back, and it wouldn't suprise me if it set the team back aswell.. No one can convince me Barkers games to goals conceded ratio is actually of top 6 standard. More like bottom 6 standard.

But what do I know, I don't have a season ticket.

When he was fit though he was the stand out player in the pile of crap we had.

Unfair to lay the blame at Barker's doorstep, don't forget we no longer have sideways Sav, Bywater or Jones in goal. Last season we also had no real attacking force to take the pressure off the defence.

Some fans may not rate him (worth pointing out he won player of the season 09/10) but the manager made him captain this season so he obviously does, will he leave him sat on the bench when fit? highly unlikely.

To be fair Daveo, I said that Barker is 'part of a long-standing problem'. Of course it's not his fault alone that we have been poor defensively for the past two seasons. But he's certainly played a part.

Extending Savage's contract for a further year when he was clearly past his best is also a factor. Bywater never rebuilding his confidence after the Premier League season and being out of favour under both Clough and Jewell and the subsequent goalkeeping merry-go-round that followed are also factors. The defence has needed a complete overhaul long before now.

But now for a change we actually look pretty difficult to break down and are actually keeping clean sheets which is the defence's priority after all. And people are already advocating we change that. It just seems absurd.

I agree that once fit, he won't be sat on the bench twiddling his thumbs. Clough values him too highly. But that doesn't mean that might not prove to be at the expense of the team and other players. How can we be certain that Shackell and Barker will even work well as a centre-back pairing after all?

I just think you get a first-team place on merit, not reputation or status. So unless O'Brien and Shackell start to play poorly or get injured, right now, I don't see how he gets back in the side.

I'd be a little bit worried if I was Barker.

Shackle as captain, a young lad playing a blinder in your position.

No, he'll be raite though, Toyota have a massive advert out front with him on it as Derby Captain.

He's as safe as houses.

O'Brien has done very well, great prospect.

Barker has leadership, goal threat, composure on the ball, passing and muscle in his locker on top of everything O'Brien has though.

The prospect of Barker and Shackell together is pretty exciting too.

Harsh on O'Brien, but if Barker was magically fit on Saturday, I'd play him.

I do love your posts Bris, I especially look out for the unbridled positivity.

You bring a bit of culture to the site as well I see. I'm assuming thats some kind of fancy french ********??

Is it pronounced "ar tay" or eight?

(not been ar*ed to look through the pages)....

but I would like to make these points..

Man Utd had Evans, Jones & Smalling playing on Monday night, all three did fantastically well.. Does that mean MUFC should sell Vidic, Rio and Rafael?!..

O'Brien is a fantastic prospect and deserves game time in our First XI, as does Hendrick.. but to say to sell Barker after 3 and a bit games (what OB has played this season) is a bit daft.

Another point I want to make.. Derby used to play with 3 CB, Carbonari, Stimac and Laursen/West etc etc etc... Could this return? I doubt we would use the LWB role well atm, as I don't think Kilbane would be up for it(only if we could find another Chris Powell)... but Brayford, Bailey, Bryson and Hendrick/B.Davies/Addison would all fit well into a 5-3-2 formation, having Ward and S.Davies up top.

Thoughts?

Man Utd had Evans, Jones & Smalling playing on Monday night, all three did fantastically well.. Does that mean MUFC should sell Vidic, Rio and Rafael?!..

O'Brien is a fantastic prospect and deserves game time in our First XI, as does Hendrick.. but to say to sell Barker after 3 and a bit games (what OB has played this season) is a bit daft.

Another point I want to make.. Derby used to play with 3 CB, Carbonari, Stimac and Laursen/West etc etc etc... Could this return? I doubt we would use the LWB role well atm, as I don't think Kilbane would be up for it(only if we could find another Chris Powell)... but Brayford, Bailey, Bryson and Hendrick/B.Davies/Addison would all fit well into a 5-3-2 formation, having Ward and S.Davies up top.

Thoughts?

I had been thinking the exact same thing for ages. But, we should keep to the current formation until we start conceding.

I think it would work with Addison as one of the CB's as well.

Thoughts?

No one plays 5-3-2 anymore for a reason, a lot of sides play 1 up front so the three centre halfs only have one forward to mark, most sides have attacking full backs in modern football so the wingbacks get two against one most of the time.

Archived