Matt Oakley

Day

Bailey doesn't get forward, but he gets to the 20-25 yard line and either attempts a shot or threads someone through. That's his job, then just to harry other players when he doesn't have the ball.

Green is very good, but he just doesn't seem to suit an entirely defensive role. He also doesn't score enough to be considered a real attacking threat. He's what they call on FM a 'box-to-box' midfielder, and i'm not sure he suits our system at the moment.

Hope we find some way to accomodate him though, he's too versatile and useful to get rid of.

How many assists did bailey have last season?

1 goal in 76 career appearances suggests him getting to 20-25 yards and shooting he isnt doing it very well.

Bailey is decent on the ball and isnt afraid of putting a challenge in, i think he fits the mould perfectly of a defensive midfielder.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because if you have any idea about football he can tackle, he is a leader, he can pass, he can run, he is coming from a team which has had 3 good seasons and coming with a positive attitude, he wants to play football, can bring players on positively. He can shoot and at 33 has 2 or 3 seasons left in him and will not sulk if not picked and he loves Derby especially when PP cheered him when his own fans booed him.

Now compare this to Savage as you want to. Savage could now and then pick a pass, put a good tackle in each game, ran round like a headless chicken, more interested on being on radio/tv, was not the best leader on the pitch, came to us after being at Blackburn where not wanted and had a chip on his shoulder. Know a bit harsh as he did us a job but his motivation last season was not there.

Oakley will do us proud and would welcome him in our side.

You're basing that opinion on the player he was about 4 years ago, if he's nearly as useful as he was then i'd be very surprised. Im not saying he would be a terrible signing, cos he would have his uses, but i think we've got more important priorities in other positions right now.

How many assists did bailey have last season?

1 goal in 76 career appearances suggests him getting to 20-25 yards and shooting he isnt doing it very well.

Bailey is decent on the ball and isnt afraid of putting a challenge in, i think he fits the mould perfectly of a defensive midfielder.

Haven't got a clue, but that's his role regardless. (Atleast I think that's his role, in several interviews and watching him play it seems to be).

In fairness, half of those appearances will be when he broke through at Crewe where he was only just learning his trade, and i'm not suggesting that he's our long shot expert, only that it's an option for us. He mostly threads players through.

He isn't afraid of it no, but he's not built for defensive work, he seems to harry more than put in crunching tackles. He harries and badgers players, and then plays people in when on the ball. He is more defensive than attacking, but not an out and out defensive player.

Haven't got a clue, but that's his role regardless. (Atleast I think that's his role, in several interviews and watching him play it seems to be).

In fairness, half of those appearances will be when he broke through at Crewe where he was only just learning his trade, and i'm not suggesting that he's our long shot expert, only that it's an option for us. He mostly threads players through.

He isn't afraid of it no, but he's not built for defensive work, he seems to harry more than put in crunching tackles. He harries and badgers players, and then plays people in when on the ball. He is more defensive than attacking, but not an out and out defensive player.

That probably was his role, but i think he's got the credentials to make a good defensive midfielder. How are you built for defensive work? Makelele was a skinny 5ft 10 defensive midfieder and was arguably the best in the world in that role.

Anyway, we're going off topic, although Oakley would have his uses, i think the negatives out weight the positives.

That probably was his role, but i think he's got the credentials to make a good defensive midfielder. How are you built for defensive work? Makelele was a skinny 5ft 10 defensive midfieder and was arguably the best in the world in that role.

Anyway, we're going off topic, although Oakley would have his uses, i think the negatives out weight the positives.

Bailey doesn't seem to have that sense of presence about him, with Makelele you knew he was going to flatten you. Bailey......well, you know he's going to be after your heels but he doesn't seem to have that 'umpf' to be a strong defensive midfielder, imo.

Indeed we are! And i'm of the other persuasion :D (Not in a YR way). I think he'd be useful. Not quite the romantic return many will hope for, but a useful return nontheless.

I'm a bit surprised at the positivity around Oakley. I think he was excellent while last here but even then he tired in the last 10-15 minutes.

I can't think he's got any fitter or faster and I think Eustace made a bigger impression at Watford than Oakley did at Leicester.

Smacks of second choice if you ask me, but will be willing him to succeed if he comes.:confused:

Rams have denied any approach according to East Midlands Today.

Not a big fan of bringing players back. Seth worked out. And i'm very glad we got him back. But usually i think you should move on. And stay moved on.

Leicester fans think he's utter rubbish. Not saying i agree or whatever. Just throwing it out there.

Players can rapidly decline once over their peak age. Wouldn't expect the same Oakley that we had before.

When we played Leicester at PP he was dawdling on the ball and had as much legs as Savage. He was just a non-entity.

I like him. Enjoyed having him. But no thanks.

always liked oakley, would definately have him back. he jumped ship when we were sinking but don't think i'd blame anyone for that.

quay!!!! jumped ship my arse, jewell the king of managerial wonderment got rid of Oakley when he brought Savage in. Savage did us a job but if I had a choice would have kept Oakley over Sav anytime. Jewell got rid of him and Howard to fester and they were part of the catlayst of them coming straight back up and then played in the season after where they nearly got through the playoffs to prem league.

Is this the same Matt Oakley that clapped every single corner of Pride Park on his return with Leicester, or the other one you seem to be describing?

4 pages since I posted that.. Don't you think someone would of posted this (your reply) sooner if anyone actually cared about Oakley.

Archived