Matt Oakley

Day

Skysports.com understands Derby are in talks with Leicester midfielder Matt Oakley about a return to Pride Park.

Leicester are thought to be willing to offload the 33-year-old as they look to trim their squad ahead of the new season.

Derby have expressed an interest in bringing Oakley back to club as Nigel Clough looks to bolster his midfield options.

Talks between both clubs are thought to be at an advanced stage and Derby are hoping to tie up the deal as soon as possible.

Experienced midfielder Oakley spent two years at Derby before making the move to Leicester in 2008.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_7046393,00.html

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, i'd really like him back. He'll do a job this season, and will probably be a squad player next season. But he'll do a GOOD job, more importantly.

No idea why he was sold originally, he was one of the few players in that shocking squad of 2008 to have been pulling his weight in terms of form, he always looked like he'd be the one player to actually spark something. (There was only him and Hossam Ghaly that gave that impression that season, gah, what a bloody awful side we had)

Anyway, the important thing is that he'd be a welcome addition, and a useful addition. Oakley and Bailey in the middle seems alright to me! Plus Addison coming back in January, so we can either have the hardman with Bailey and lose the passing, or lose the 'big bugger' element and have someone who is still good defensively but able to put a few more intricate passes together too.

Besides which, we could play him and Addison if Bailey is unfit, and that still seems a pretty good system. (We may well be playing with 2 upfront most of the time but the 4-2-3-1 system will make a fair few appearances next season i'm sure)

So nice to see positivity about a signing. Well, apart from Wallsall_Ram, who would prefer sexual favours. And in fairness, most of us would, just......you know......not from Matt Oakley.

Everyone want Billy Davies back as well?

That's like saying if I wanted a WWII plane in the air again, would I like the return of Hitler.

No to your exaggeration, but Oakley would be useful. He was one of the better players even then.

Just because he played under Billy doesn't mean he should be treated with the same scorn surely? Or am I missing something here?

Archived