blackNwhites Life Story (split from Transfer thread)

Just finishing my first year of A levels at college as I wanted to go somewhere different from all my friends. I'm not sure about a gap year but Manchester University is my top choice.

Manchester University is a very good university. If they do a psychology degree (probably do) i'll probably go their myself. Also have friends out there.

Take a gap year. You could volunteer at a shelter in the UK or anywhere in the world, helping those who are less fortunate than yourself. You won't regret it, you'll meet and experience people that blow your mind with stories to tell. Literally blow your mind. Seeing how those who struggle to feed themselves and find clean water can have more fun than those with wealth is what gets me. Inspiring.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
any particular reason? or just for the sake of doing something different. To be honest plan b you come across as very sheltered. I wouldn't say I've had a particularly hard life but I know the realities of it. To dislike poor people is outrageous.

I have a feeling that we have different opinions of sheltered. Can you explain what you mean by it?

Manchester University is a very good university. If they do a psychology degree (probably do) i'll probably go their myself. Also have friends out there.

Take a gap year. You could volunteer at a shelter in the UK or anywhere in the world, helping those who are less fortunate than yourself. You won't regret it, you'll meet and experience people that blow your mind with stories to tell. Literally blow your mind. Seeing how those who struggle to feed themselves and find clean water can have more fun than those with wealth is what gets me. Inspiring.

I don't fuly understand a gap year I don't think.

The kind of attitide I have about my education now is 'I want to get it over with' so I can just start my own life.

Which obv. is not the attitude I want right now but that is down to nerves.

I don't know about you Plan B, you're only 16 so you're probably not old enough to understand things can be complicated sometimes. Which i can understand, i was pretty sheltered myself at that age, had high hopes, everything planned out. The kids that i work with are about your age actually.

Some of them have come from 'broken' homes, their parents are drug addicts, alcoholics, thugs, uneducated. Some are exceptionally shy, withdrawn and have suffered extreme bullying from kids at school, or even their parents. Depends on their surroundings. Many are abused physically, psychologically...sexually.

These people actively quit society, they don't want anything to do with anyone because for all they know everybody out there thinks the same way. They have no experience of kindness, love etc.. Only abuse. Some turn to drugs, some are 'used' by stronger people (physically or mentally).

When i first lived in sheltered accommodation i lived with a girl with Aspergers Syndrome (on the Autism spectrum) whose mum had divorced her father and had a mental breakdown. Threw this girl out onto the streets and left her to fend for herself. She was abused by landlords, 'friends' and was pretty suicidal herself. Used to cut her wrists everyday. Wouldn't eat. Her mum eventually ended up in a psychological ward. This girl is doing pretty well for herself now, no longer borderline anorexic, but still withdrawn from society. Doesn't trust anyone easily.

Pretty tough. She wasn't much older than you.

Nobody asks for it, just environment influences those who occupy it. Nature over nurture.

Lots of bad people, lots of good people. Doesn't matter what 'class' they are from. If you've ever read George Orwells 1984 you might understand how that works.

Don't be to quick to judge, in my opinion you have a very old fashioned opinion of ignorance. But you're only 16, so how can you understand, like i said, i was very naive at that age myself.

Good luck with your ambitions though young man, Zoology is very interesting. Would love to do something like that myself. Learning about wildlife around the world. I do it as a hobby.

I watched this secret millionaire becuase in the description is said something about it being in sheffield so I watched it. I would not last two days working with homeless people that had drug/alcohol problems as I really can't stand them. But there was this one guy that was poor so he commited armed robberys with a replica gun. In his first robbery he had the gun and they gave him the money straight away so he made a hanit of it and was doing it every day until he got arrested. When they were speaking to him, he was no different from a common person.

The only place I would even consider doing charity work would be in an African country but I would not like to go alone as I know how supersticious they are there. (as seen in recent years both first hand and on tv)

I watched this secret millionaire becuase in the description is said something about it being in sheffield so I watched it. I would not last two days working with homeless people that had drug/alcohol problems as I really can't stand them. But there was this one guy that was poor so he commited armed robberys with a replica gun. In his first robbery he had the gun and they gave him the money straight away so he made a hanit of it and was doing it every day until he got arrested. When they were speaking to him, he was no different from a common person.

The only place I would even consider doing charity work would be in an African country but I would not like to go alone as I know how supersticious they are there. (as seen in recent years both first hand and on tv)

The things people will do because they are desperate are things they never imagined themselves doing.

Like i say, good luck, give that gap year a thought. Don't have to do it straight away, wait until you're 18+.

I have friends who tried the woofer thing in America. Working on farms in various states. Loved it. Not all volunteering (or in woofers case, paid work) has to be in war torn nations, or places where people are extremely poor. Can help the yanks out with their farms, earn a basic wage and you're fed whilst there.

What's been happening in Heanor anyroad bNw?

Yesterday, there were police running about up the hill by Tesco's, in and out a flat above the Indian Restaurant - then today, the Police were taking out brown bags, which I presume were evidence bags, (they didn't look like takeaway bags :D) from the same flat.....

They did say on telly that they'd arrested a bloke from a flat in the 'Amber Valley area' in connection with the Somercotes murder....hhmmm:eek:

What's been happening in Heanor anyroad bNw?

Yesterday, there were police running about up the hill by Tesco's, in and out a flat above the Indian Restaurant - then today, the Police were taking out brown bags, which I presume were evidence bags, (they didn't look like takeaway bags :D) from the same flat.....

They did say on telly that they'd arrested a bloke from a flat in the 'Amber Valley area' in connection with the Somercotes murder....hhmmm:eek:

22 year old blokes been nicked I think

Nope.

I have seen 'young, smart and living by myself'

You should watch it when it comes back on, full of 15-20 year olds that haven't experienced life off the breast yet think they have life all figured out.

Archived