What was different?

Ram-man

Why was there keeper awful? U can't blame him for the 1st goal. Did well to get anywhere near it. And the 2nd was deflected past him I hear. He made one or two decent saves.

1st goal his positioning was inexplicably bad! He was stood away on the far post from the defender, leaving the whole goal exposed. 100% his fault, it was a run of the mill back pass the defender was being harried by Green and didn't have time to look up. He was within his rights to expect the keeper to be somewhere close to central, or at least covering the angle!

2nd goal was deflected, but not by much and very early in the flight, as it came off the defender challenging Davies. He got a hand to, but seemed a very limp attempt at a save

The one good save he made was Davies shot which was brilliantly taken and heading for the bottom corner. He got down very well to turn it round the post

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a basic rule your supposed to pass the ball to the left or right of the goal if your going back to your keeper. So i suppose Williams must take some blame. Had he done that then there would of been no problem. Their keeper bizzarely chose the wrong side of the goal though. He should of come to the near post so a pass wouldn't cross the goal face.

For the second goal i thought he should of had much stronger hands and it looked a bit of a flap.

I thought all three goals could of been dealt with better by goal keepers. But they are both good keepers still.

my view on how we played so well, Swansea the 'Arsenal' of our league, how did barcelona stop them in midweek.. Everybody chased down, not one person didn't put a shift in! Great team effort, even Bueno running after everything putting them under constant pressure. A great energy about our midfield yesterday helped us do that, Pearson, Savage, Green and Ward all have good energy and even Doyle when he came on early in the second half. Not saying were anything like Barcelona :D we aint, but maybe that one tactic helped us massively yesterday..

my view on how we played so well, Swansea the 'Arsenal' of our league, how did barcelona stop them in midweek.. Everybody chased down, not one person didn't put a shift in! Great team effort, even Bueno running after everything putting them under constant pressure. A great energy about our midfield yesterday helped us do that, Pearson, Savage, Green and Ward all have good energy and even Doyle when he came on early in the second half. Not saying were anything like Barcelona :D we aint, but maybe that one tactic helped us massively yesterday..

To all those who say don't boo the players because they're giving their all, shouldn't the performance yesterday be the norm and not the odd game in 20?

Presssing players with the ball, can that be called a tactic or shouldn't that be what good players do every game? Get into the face of the player with the ball and work hard for each other to keep it once you've got it. Yesterday we were half way there.

To all those who say don't boo the players because they're giving their all, shouldn't the performance yesterday be the norm and not the odd game in 20?

Presssing players with the ball, can that be called a tactic or shouldn't that be what good players do every game? Get into the face of the player with the ball and work hard for each other to keep it once you've got it. Yesterday we were half way there.

I agree, we should always do this as should every team pretty much but certain types of players either don't have the energy or the will to do this for the team, yesterday we have a midfield full of energy but not that much footballing abilty and it shone through!

I agree, we should always do this as should every team pretty much but certain types of players either don't have the energy or the will to do this for the team, yesterday we have a midfield full of energy but not that much footballing abilty and it shone through!

That was the key to the purple patch we had earlier in the season, keeping the ball when you've got it, which isn't just about more quality from the man in possesion, but everyone around him moving into space to give the man with the ball 2 or 3 options to pass to, then closing down and harrying the opposition when they have it. It's not a secret, it's called hard work. Which is why it annoys me when fans say lay off the players because they're doing their best, because they obviously weren't.

I think Clough and Metgod are sending out the wrong messages to the players as well, we shouldn't be encouraging them to hoof the ball as that just invites more pressure, we should be encouraging them at every opportunity to work hard to keep the ball.

my view on how we played so well, Swansea the 'Arsenal' of our league, how did barcelona stop them in midweek.. Everybody chased down, not one person didn't put a shift in! ..

Merson said that on Sky yesterday. Just like watching Barca, can't wait for that chant although we did start the season like Brazil according to Sav

Merson said that on Sky yesterday. Just like watching Barca, can't wait for that chant although we did start the season like Brazil according to Sav

haha! I didn't realise he said that! I thought we closed down like Barca, nothing more!! And the Brazil comment.. Well :p

1st goal his positioning was inexplicably bad! He was stood away on the far post from the defender, leaving the whole goal exposed. 100% his fault, it was a run of the mill back pass the defender was being harried by Green and didn't have time to look up. He was within his rights to expect the keeper to be somewhere close to central, or at least covering the angle!

2nd goal was deflected, but not by much and very early in the flight, as it came off the defender challenging Davies. He got a hand to, but seemed a very limp attempt at a save

The one good save he made was Davies shot which was brilliantly taken and heading for the bottom corner. He got down very well to turn it round the post

You should never kick a ball towards the goalmouth, and being right footed he moved into a position to minize the ball being sliced into his net,

Blacknwhite thats fine you don't argee with me everyone has a right to there opapion but thing is he had two great chances to grab a goal, but as you said your self he has a bad touch, but not just yesterday but last three or four games since he come here, fair enough first couple of games but i have seen none improvement from him, and he needs droping as he can not score from six yards out and even when he does have a shot on goal there eathier dead soft or blows them over the bar.

Blacknwhite thats fine you don't argee with me everyone has a right to there opapion but thing is he had two great chances to grab a goal, but as you said your self he has a bad touch, but not just yesterday but last three or four games since he come here, fair enough first couple of games but i have seen none improvement from him, and he needs droping as he can not score from six yards out and even when he does have a shot on goal there eathier dead soft or blows them over the bar.

He did come off the bench yesterday so Clough doesn't quite see him as first choice, or maybe it's the fitness issues we've got with practically every forward at the club.

Off the ball, his movement was great, with a bit of time (rest of the season and if he stays permanently, pre-season) his ball control will improve.

Don't forget every forward we have has been out injured for a lengthy spell at some point this season. So rotation will be important just to keep everybody healthy and injury free.

i was willing to give him a chance i think he movement off the ball, is very poor like when abrouno was in a good position to score, what does he go and do shoot himself and to make worse was high and wide, i much rather callium ball or chris porter instead of him.

i was willing to give him a chance i think he movement off the ball, is very poor like when abrouno was in a good position to score, what does he go and do shoot himself and to make worse was high and wide, i much rather callium ball or chris porter instead of him.

Alberto Bueno.

You mean Robinsons second chance? I agree, he should have laid it onto Bueno.

Porter wouldn't have been in the same position, he hasn't got the pace. Don't know much about Callum Ball, but if he had done the same thing you'd be preferring Robinson to play.

You can't write young players like Robinson off after a handful of games. Like i said, just back from injury, only 22 so room for improvement. He looked rusty on the ball.

One thing that was different was the timing of the substitutions - players were brought on with plenty of time to make an impact - rather than waiting til it was too late in the game ...

Another aspect that was different was the inclusion of two youngsters on the Subs bench - excellent decision IMO !

Archived