North Stand Block A v Doncaster + Barnsley

therams69

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will anyone want to go to the Barnsley game?

To be fair though, bad performance and upsetting but the stand still rocked..

Probably not but.....

Players may have lost there pride on the pitch, we will not lose our pride in the stand!

Absolutely no point in reviewing the game as there is nothing more to say that hasn’t already been said, so how about I review the Block A experience?

I decided that I’d try out a ticket move last night for me and my lad, as the atmosphere has been pretty flat of late round where we sit.

So I asked the chap in the ticket office to move us up to Block A to sit with the singing contingent. He seemed to know what I was talking about and after a few minutes of messing about on his computer, gave me the new tickets.

Here lieth the first problem, he put us on Row K – which was quite a few rows forward from where the singing was, and we were surrounded by a lot of people who were very much NOT singing and neither of us really had the confidence to join in as we were just too far away from the singers. There was plenty of space between us and the singing, so I just don’t get why the guy in the ticket office put us so far away?

So apart from that, you lot did the team proud singing non-stop and although we couldn’t really join in without feeling daft, at least we came away feeling like we’d been at a football match (rather than a funeral)

My only criticism really is that you almost did too much singing! As daft as that may sound, it felt a bit like you were at one level throughout the whole game, never getting any louder (or quieter) and that made it seem a bit forced. In the old Popside days the singing felt more organic, in terms of reacting to what was happening on the pitch, it would swell when it was needed and die down if there was a prolonged stoppage...then build up again into a crescendo as the team pressed on. I guess what I mean is that without the ebb and flow it is in danger of just becoming background noise that people find easier to ignore rather than join in with

I have no idea what you do about that, hopefully it will get more organic as time goes on and your numbers grow. Keep at it!

My only criticism really is that you almost did too much singing! As daft as that may sound, it felt a bit like you were at one level throughout the whole game, never getting any louder (or quieter) and that made it seem a bit forced. In the old Popside days the singing felt more organic, in terms of reacting to what was happening on the pitch, it would swell when it was needed and die down if there was a prolonged stoppage...then build up again into a crescendo as the team pressed on. I guess what I mean is that without the ebb and flow it is in danger of just becoming background noise that people find easier to ignore rather than join in with

I echo these comments.

I echo these comments.

Same, yes it's great what your trying to do but at times as bad as last night surely you mentle bunch can't really be up for singing ? Good support yes but they far from deserve it..

That's a good point Green Ram.

No question fair play for singing no matter what, but a lot of the time it just sounds like a constant droning noise - partiularly with Dale Cavese and that god awful Just Can't Get Enough. I've noticed you never really seem to react to what's going off on the pitch. When we get a corner for example, or have a free kick, you just carry on with the song you've been singing before hand. A corner or another "moment of excitement" is an opportunity to change it up a gear.

Also I think you carry songs on for far too long. By all means go for a 45 minute epic "We are Derby", but even 2 minutes of "Nigel Clough's Barmy Army" is too long, same for "Hoist up the Derby Sail".

Just a few thoughts.

Phew - glad it's not just me that thought it!

I was worried you might all slaughter me, but honestly it's meant as constructive criticism from someone who has nowt but admiration for what you're doing

U know what? I start alot of the songs up there and sometimes myself I agree with that, at corners I want to start the come on derby and start to go a little mad with excitement .. BUT we need help off others in the block.. We do( well I) feel a little isolated up there at times, and although the ticket office help us they often give people tickets who ask to be with us tickets that are too many rows away.. And alot in block B are stuck in there ways and won't sing... Or are afraid to sing... I'm even considering having a game in block b to try and get them going in there!!!

i agree with GreenRam, i was sat about 10ish rows infront of the singing lot and although i really like the attitude and passion of you guys it was abit much at times.

my season ticket used to be in the north stand under the jim smith era and it was great when a song started in south east corner (or wherever) and spread round the whole ground. problem is no-ones gonna sing non-stop (apart from you guys;)) and so there is no flow to the chants.

i guess the old footballing analagy of 'trying too hard' is apt.

U know what? I start alot of the songs up there and sometimes myself I agree with that, at corners I want to start the come on derby and start to go a little mad with excitement .. BUT we need help off others in the block.. We do( well I) feel a little isolated up there at times, and although the ticket office help us they often give people tickets who ask to be with us tickets that are too many rows away.. And alot in block B are stuck in there ways and won't sing... Or are afraid to sing... I'm even considering having a game in block b to try and get them going in there!!!

don't worry trooper agent norfolk will be doing his best to get block b going on sat against barnsley!

I agree with Green ram about how it can drone on a bit at times. I love what your doing and I think we need new original songs, but I dont think you can beat a bit of 'derby till I die' or 'come on derby' or 'derby super rams' and it helps get other crowd members going cause they are simple and well known, I think they should be used to spur the team on (the team will also know where they are coming from as well)

Just my opinion though.

There was quite a few younguns not far below us when we played Hull. They were loving it. Think a few Derbyshire based kid clubs had been invited for a game, all joining in and being told to sit down by their supervisors. Go for it fatbazz!

is it u lot playin football outside franikies on home games

Archived