Steve Mclaren Anybody.

hintonsboots

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I concur, if only nige walks away though

I agree. Would not like to see him sacked, but the combination of lack of support in the transfer market and some bizzare tactical and positional experiments from Nige, which have gone badly wrong, leaves him in a weaker position. A win against the Tree shagge*s, Commons signing and some decent signings in the window, and he will be safe, but the reverse means the end for NC.

Not saying I disagree but what, in your opinion, makes him a 'bloody good' manager?

I just believe that he has what it takes, from having to cut the squad down to a 1/3 of what it was whilst halving the wage budget and still managing to improvement in the league, I know it's been done to the death but 8pts better of in the league, I personally think this year has been fantastic because I've seen our potential which excites me I never in a million years thought we had that kind of ability and at the start of the year I was resigned to us going down, and we've gone on to push inside the top half without even thinking of relegation.

I also genuinely believe if we lose Clough this club will go back to square one and there will never be improvement, the only way to get a quick fix is by buying it.. that isn't Cloughs fault, on his budget he has got to go through lower league players to find gems. I also think his worst two signings have been established championship players in Croft and Roberts, I just think it's down to pure ignorance and lack of intelligence that people are asking for his head.

i just dont see what makes you a good manager just because you have cut the squad down.

what makes a good manager? here is a good start

L - Long term strategy/philosophy that everyone buys into

U - Understanding players at every level

C - Communication skills

K - Knowledge of the game at a technical/tactical level

I - Innovative and inspirational

E - Experience and expectancy

R - Recognising and recruiting talent

i just dont see what makes you a good manager just because you have cut the squad down.

what makes a good manager? here is a good start

L - Long term strategy/philosophy that everyone buys into

U - Understanding players at every level

C - Communication skills

K - Knowledge of the game at a technical/tactical level

I - Innovative and inspirational

E - Experience and expectancy

R - Recognising and recruiting talent

Clough has managed more League games than many managers far older than him. He achieved promotion with Burton twice (well, left before finished but it was all his work) and made the side a comfortable League Two side.

He has shown with signings that he knows good players, he has shown he can inspire good runs and he has managed to improve our finishes in consecutive seasons while reducing the playing staff and wage bills.

Including managing a decent season and finish last season while battling a crippling injury list, i'd say we've got a cracking manager on our hands already.

I just believe that he has what it takes, from having to cut the squad down to a 1/3 of what it was whilst halving the wage budget and still managing to improvement in the league, I know it's been done to the death but 8pts better of in the league, I personally think this year has been fantastic because I've seen our potential which excites me I never in a million years thought we had that kind of ability and at the start of the year I was resigned to us going down, and we've gone on to push inside the top half without even thinking of relegation.

I also genuinely believe if we lose Clough this club will go back to square one and there will never be improvement, the only way to get a quick fix is by buying it.. that isn't Cloughs fault, on his budget he has got to go through lower league players to find gems. I also think his worst two signings have been established championship players in Croft and Roberts, I just think it's down to pure ignorance and lack of intelligence that people are asking for his head.

As someone who isn't amazingly pro-Nigel I enjoyed your post, up until the point you called people ignorant and lacking in intelligence.

As a view from my side. We've had to reduce the wage bill from what it was. That's not an easy task and I take nothing away from what he's done there. That said, we did have a large squad and were were very overstaffed in some areas, like up front. He's got rid of a lot of players and on the whole brout in young players to fill the gap. I like this approach, I like the idea of building a team around young skilful players. In Brayford, Addison, Bailey, Cywka, Doyle I think we have a good group of young players who look for the ball and are comfortable with it. I like that side of him and the team.

On the flip side we've signed Roberts, Martin, Croft who either aren't good enough or won't get a look in and it seems a waste of wages and squad space. We've always been short up top under Nigel and again we are in for yet another attacking midfielder, the one position I would consider us to be in a good position with. Savage looked on his way out but Nigel brought him back in to the fold and made him captain. The few good performances are eclipsed by the amount of poor ones. I don't buy the good influence, he looks like a strippy teenager on the pitch and lays into the younger players (then moans at the fans that the younger players are nervous!). Could have saved on his wages and used them to help the team elsewhere. He seems to have faith in Bywater no matter what when we could have kept Fielding on loan.

We've hit a bad patch and appear to have hit the panic button of going back to last season and trying not to lose rather than trying to win, the mentality that took us to 4th. We lost to Norwich and Reading but those defeats were easier to take as most of the game we attempted to play football still. But we appear to have abandoned that in favour of getting the ball away from our goal - we will fight delegation if we keep that mentality all season.

4 CM's across the midfield, Green in back four. Chooses that he uses again and again and they've not worked but he continues with it. Metgod introduced the 4-2-3-1 formation, that's well known. So other than the picking up of young players, what else has he brought to the table? Motivation? If confidence is so fragile at PP then not really.

Jury's out for me. Next few results may provide a verdict, whether that is a guilty, not guilty or retrial who knows.

bit of a question to you all, you are in charge of derby county and Avram Grant randomly decides to try his skills in the championship, would you sack clough for a change of direction?

Don't get your question. Are you asking if we'd take Avram as manager? I wouldn't the money at Chelsea masked his shortcomings as a manager.

Clough has managed more League games than many managers far older than him. He achieved promotion with Burton twice (well, left before finished but it was all his work) and made the side a comfortable League Two side.

He has shown with signings that he knows good players, he has shown he can inspire good runs and he has managed to improve our finishes in consecutive seasons while reducing the playing staff and wage bills.

Including managing a decent season and finish last season while battling a crippling injury list, i'd say we've got a cracking manager on our hands already.

L

yeah i would say he has that, he wants the game to be played the right way, on the floor to feet.

U

Understanding players at every level? yeah i would say he does with his non-league experience.

C

i think he has poor communication skills. eg: slagging off particular players.

K

tactically he is poor but his knowledge of the game is second to none.

I

well if he cant inspire his team against their fiercest rivals and against a non-league team in the FA cup.....i dont know when he can.

E

experience and expectancy? experienced only at non-league level but he does expects his players to peform week in week out.

R

recognising and recruiting talent? yes and no....buxton/brayford/bailey/cyfka/moxey/barker GOOD.....deeney/croft/porter/roberts/martin POOR

Archived