Steve Mclaren Anybody.

hintonsboots

bit of a question to you all, you are in charge of derby county and Avram Grant randomly decides to try his skills in the championship, would you sack clough for a change of direction?

No I would not. But if I were in the unfortunate position where Nigel walked then it would be an intriguing proposition.

I'd be straight after Hodgson though.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
L

yeah i would say he has that, he wants the game to be played the right way, on the floor to feet.

U

Understanding players at every level? yeah i would say he does with his non-league experience.

C

i think he has poor communication skills. eg: slagging off particular players.

K

tactically he is poor but his knowledge of the game is second to none.

I

well if he cant inspire his team against their fiercest rivals and against a non-league team in the FA cup.....i dont know when he can.

E

experience and expectancy? experienced only at non-league level but he does expects his players to peform week in week out.

R

recognising and recruiting talent? yes and no....buxton/brayford/bailey/cyfka/moxey/barker GOOD.....deeney/croft/porter/roberts/martin POOR

His slagging off of players has brought results though, look how much he had a go at Commons and look at how hes performed this season.

The last bit i'll have to argue with too, Porter is a good player. Deeney is cheap cover, Croft hasn't worked but anyone in his shoes would have taken him. Martin isn't poor at all, he's a decent winger at this level. Roberts is yet to show what he can do.

Mostly i'll agree with you. The inspiring players bit he did in previous seasons, but it's up to the players to go out there and perform at the end of the day.

I'd love to live in your world Alex, you'd see the positives if we got relegated.

If we got relegated I wouldn't be happy, of course not. But i'm so positive because I don't think it's going to happen. Clough will sort this, just needs a few tweaks and personnel changes and all is well again :)

It's rare that i'm in a bad mood about things.

His slagging off of players has brought results though, look how much he had a go at Commons and look at how hes performed this season.

The last bit i'll have to argue with too, Porter is a good player. Deeney is cheap cover, Croft hasn't worked but anyone in his shoes would have taken him. Martin isn't poor at all, he's a decent winger at this level. Roberts is yet to show what he can do.

Mostly i'll agree with you. The inspiring players bit he did in previous seasons, but it's up to the players to go out there and perform at the end of the day.

Lol, he's shown us what he can do alright.

I'd hate to live in Alex's world.

The only thing Clough has lacked at DCFC is investment. I also wonder about his relationship with Metgod.

Metgod was very much in the fold during our excellent run, and has since disappeared into the background. I must admit i prefer the idea of Clough and Metgod, compared to Clough on his own.

Otherwise, his younger signings bar Martin (who looked pretty good to me, but what do i know) have all shown promise or worked out very well. The older, more experienced have all struggled. I include Barker in that, recent form suggest the guy is not happy.

I really do wonder about Metgod and Clough though, what was it that worked before that doesn't work now.

Otherwise, i can find no fault in Clough and am largely disappointed with our most experienced pro's. They look to have given up. Particularly Bywater, he's served us ok'ish over the years but, he's never been a great goalkeeper.

I also think his worst two signings have been established championship players in Croft and Roberts, I just think it's down to pure ignorance and lack of intelligence that people are asking for his head.

...and of course those 2 had something in common.A young side is good,but you have to have experience mixed in,of a decent quality.I applauded the signings of the youngsters at the start of the season,but said then we needed to add a couple of good,experienced players and that remains my view.It's always been acknowledged to be a tricky job bringing youngsters in and then judging when to take them out of the side.I feel we've probably got too many at a time and are having to play them because of circumstances.I also think that contract extensions may only have been given in some cases purely because we couldn't afford better replacements.

Youngsters are fine when you're on a good,confidence filled run.It's unfair to expect them to turn a bad run round and I fear for the rest of the season, if some decent,experienced players aren't brought in.

Just my opinion-agree with the rest of what you say.

Just to add, if Clough and Metgod are happy people, the squad are happy people.

Maybe Metgod's experience in management at club and international level intimidates Clough a little? Clough wants to make his own individual impression, whilst Metgod has experience of working with international class players.

I really think if that is the case, and Clough has jealousy of Metgod, he should bite that tendency and work closer with Metgod. They probably have things to teach each other about various different things.

if the tactics in the good run were down to Metgod, and his suggestions what makes you think the decisions now are all down to Nigel. Surely Metgod still has an input? no doibt if we start playing well again it will be because of Metgod abd nothing to do with Nigel.

Metgod as far as I know has never managed, hes always been a coach.

if the tactics in the good run were down to Metgod, and his suggestions what makes you think the decisions now are all down to Nigel. Surely Metgod still has an input? no doibt if we start playing well again it will be because of Metgod abd nothing to do with Nigel.

Metgod as far as I know has never managed, hes always been a coach.

Metgod has managed once, quite a while a go. In fact he's probably managed twice as caretaker manager at Excelsior Rotterdam. But i'm not talking about managerial skills, i'm talking about knowing when to listen to someone when you may be wrong yourself.

I think maybe Clough can be a little stubborn from time to time, just to try and prove a point. His sheer determination, whilst serving him well in the past and will continue to do so for the rest of his career, could also be his weakness.

Metgod might serve to point things out when Clough is getting to far ahead of himself. Frustration, Clough clearly is frustrated, is a blind spot when trying to achieve.

We've all been there, doing homework or a puzzle like sudoko. We try to figure it out, but for a long time we can't, we take a break and then go back to it, suddenly the answer is staring at us. We wonder why we couldn't see it in the first place. Or sometimes our friend/colleague points it out, we're either grateful or envious.

I like Clough, i think he is the right man, but he has this weakness. I like Metgods presence and feel Clough and Metgod can work well together, i sincerely hope Clough is not envious of Metgod.

You haven't noticed how Metgod is less involved with media now? They had an argument on the touchline, now the guy is very much in the background.

ETA: My main point was the motivation factor. The squad is happy if Clough, and Metgod are happy. Clough is a very frustrated man at the moment and it shows in his squad choices. It shows in the personnel, they don't look at all the same squad as that great run.

His words after the Forest game were '....that will live long in the memory...', meaning he was seriously upset about that, angry.

It shows!

you are the epitome of ignorance.

Haha, Get your head outta your arse. The squad trimmed itself down. **** panic buys in the prem and much other **** was hauled into the club. It's obvious which people go and who stays. I respect the fact that he is dealing with a VERY tight wage budget, But there was alot of obvious crap to be shifted.

Haha, Get your head outta your arse. The squad trimmed itself down. **** panic buys in the prem and much other **** was hauled into the club. It's obvious which people go and who stays. I respect the fact that he is dealing with a VERY tight wage budget, But there was alot of obvious crap to be shifted.

If it was so obvious, why didn't the previous manager shift it?

If it was so obvious, why didn't the previous manager shift it?

Because it was Paul Jewell who signed most of the **** in the first place and done nothing for us. Any new manager coming in, Clough or not, Had no option but to trim it and there were a lot of players within the higher wage band who didnt deserve to be here.

One could argue that relegation to Division One aided Norwich, Leicester, Forest and Leeds in the long term.

Relegation is always a step back.

I'm getting bored of this, first hutchings and now mclaren.

we have a f*ckin' manager, and a bloody good one too!

Agreed, but a small minority are blind and have nothing better to do than post 20 odd emails a day slating him. Probably the same ones that phones the "moan in" as well:mad:

Archived