Steve Mclaren Anybody.

hintonsboots

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why some don't think he can't manage, he did pretty well at boro, they got into europe and got to the uafa cup final they went down hill after he left. I'm sure we would be gutted playing european football. He was out of depth as england manager but its a mad job, he did well in holland, he didn't in germany but just before they sacked him after he had bought his only players they were doing a lot better.

I'd prefer Clough to get his act together and sort out the current mess, but if Nigel makes way for someone else, McClaren would probably be my first choice - on the whole pretty good record with big(ish) clubs, although he does like to splash the cash.

Having said that prior to Jewell's reign I would've snapped him up, and was pleased when he was put in charge based on his past record....yeh hindsight is a wonderful thing!

To be honest I think McClaren gets a bad rep (apart from the bizarre accent he adopted 'how you say......' no McClaren you're English, it's how you say it already). As a manager I don't have too much of an issue with him. England was too much but then it's not an easy job and McClaren strikes me as someone who wants to work with players on a training ground which you can't do at international level so much as you don't have long with them. For those who say Nigel has worked under the great man and also had 10 years at non-league so he's bound to have picked up a think or two. McClaren worked under Sir Alex, has been a manager at BoroInternational, level, in Holland and in Germany - he wouldn't have done all that without picking up a think or two.

All redundant though as we have a manager that I don't see leaving any time soon.

If they truly believed him wouldn't they give him some substantial money as they believe he would take us into the prem?

Exactly. As Ken Bates said at the start of the season in his Championship review..."Derby County, there is no money there " This sums up our season, no Shaun Barker type signings, no Global brand, no Strikers, More outgoing than incoming in the window, targets identified, but no real attempt to sign them. As we go further down the league, the club becomes less and less attractive to potential signings.... It is a viscous circle of wage bill cutting, quality players being sold, and empty promises from the owners.

was on Talksport this morning, talking about being back in the country after being given the boot by the jarmens.

They talked about coaching in the Championship?

Now then!

He said, if a club in the Championship wanted to take them from the NPC to top 10 of the Prem and they had ambition and the means to do it, he'd be interested.

Counts us out then.:frown:

hasnt he just mate!!

im not saying our policy of spending nowt is much better but theres got to be somewhere in the middle that will work and be better long term and neither of the above managers could really do a great job without spending lots of money in my opinion

Didnt George Burley get us into the play-offs with even less money than Nigel has had??

So if the job became available I'd ask him back, the football was as good around that time as I've seen for quite a sustained period and I do think he likes to play the right way.

OK he struggled at Palace but wasn't really given much time to sort it out, remember he only just kept Derby up first season...not sure he could expect to do much with the current crop of Scottish players when head of the international team and of course before that he also did well at Hearts and got Soton in the playoffs.

I know most of the scouting network he used to have went to West Brom so I suppose there is the query as to whether he is as good without them.

Wouldn't be averse to Di Matteo coming and bringing them with him though either!

Not sure how MacLaren would cope with lack of purse strings so more of a risk for me, I seem to also remember the Boro fans weren't impressed with the style of football towards the end of his era.

oh please i hope so:D

billy cockmonch davies and steve mongyaccent mcclaren two mangers not quite good enough but will spend a fekkin fortune

just what they deserve

Not quite good enough? Wow.

Not to get lynched here but didn't BD get us promoted and we hardly broke spending records that season did we? He also got PNE to the play-offs. McClaren, won the Dutch league with Twente, the first time they'd ever won it. If Nigel had done either of those things I doubt he'd be labelled as 'not quite good enough'

wilko....the lowest points in the premier EVER counts in my book as not quite good enough mate..

also try and remember or av a look back as i think you will find billy spent quite a lot getting us up that season as well

so yeah promotion was good but overall not quite good enough (imo)

Archived