If you wanna stay alive, stay out the popside

IslandExile

46 minutes ago, dog said:

Anyhoo, anyone else remember getting out the popside without their feet touching the ground? Rammed in... like rams.. and bleating as we were swept down stream in a current of Derby 6, Citeh 2...

🙋🏻‍♂️

53 minutes ago, dog said:

Anyhoo, anyone else remember getting out the popside without their feet touching the ground? Rammed in... like rams.. and bleating as we were swept down stream in a current of Derby 6, Citeh 2...

You'd think this was an old wives tale, But, Once the game had finished getting out from the Popside was akin to sardines queueing up to get into the tins, Many times we were taken by the tide from the fans leaving and once out in the open it was like a cork popping from a bottle of Champagne...pure relief 😬

I never actually saw this 8th wonder of the world but have heard it many times 👍

1 hour ago, dog said:

Yes quite frequently, I used to see how far I could go without touching the ground.

I remember the cockney reds, Man U's London based fans trying to take the Popside once. I always stood at a rail above the walkway, just to the left of the vocal mob, for a great view. All of a sudden there was a disturbance behind me, I turned round to see a big space where people had been standing moments before. To my right there was the cockney reds led by a big muscular black guy in a blue vest, he was taunting the Derby popsiders, who were led by the guy with ginger curly hair. The standoff lasted some time, until 'Ginger' started the charge into the United fans. However, as he got level with me, he jumped sideways and stood next to me, to watch the punchup. He turned to me and said "F*** that for a game of soldiers".

On 21/10/2024 at 10:58, MadAmster said:

Spurs had a go. Came round the back into the Vulcan and came up towards the middle. They hadn't bargained on Fagin pulling a shovel out from under his trenchcoat.

Home against Boro, Loads of us in the Colombo. The Smoggies hadn't expected that and spent the match up against the railings between Colombo and Ossie End. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Fagin? There's a blast from the past!

6 hours ago, dog said:

I used to have an irrational fear of being swept into the old bogs on the way and never getting out again...

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I used to have an irrational fear of being swept into the old bogs on the way and never getting out again...

The "Gents" in the Vulcan side that were on the right on the way out. As  I recall were the only ones ?.

Went in the Columbo too, a few times the bogs were  at the side of  the Ossie end just after you came through the turnstiles they were a little newer?

Edited by Alan Ramage 4 EVA

I remember as a boy standing on the popside. Must have been very shortly before the seats went in because Tommy Johnson came over to take a throwin and I patted him on the back and he smiled at me! Made my day.

I'm pretty sure I only stood there once. Or at least I only remember that specific memory. 

I have plenty of memories elsewhere in the BBG

Edited by Sweetness34

17 hours ago, dog said:

I never experienced it leaving the ground but did once going in, the cup game against Plymouth I think it was. When we got to ground we managed to get to just outside the popside gates but then couldn't move for the crush, as couldn't the copper on his horse, but then all of a sudden there was a surge and we were just swept along with it with no control of where we'd end up but fortunately it was towards the popside turnstiles rather than the Normanton turnstiles or anywhere else. I wouldn't ever want to be in that situation again but 40 years or so ago, despite it being a bit worrying, it was a bit exhilarating too once the surge started and when we were through the turnstiles we could look back and have a bit of a laugh about it.