The 9 Game Reviews

Day

1) How do you feel about the performances from the team in the first 9 games of the season?

I fell pretty good about where we are. I was expecting a struggle, and hopefully end up in lower mid-table. And I was determined to be delighted with that, instead of being critical. We are ahead of where I thought we would been so all is pretty good so far.

2) How happy are are you with the first 9 results?

Fairly happy. We haven't been given a walloping so far - despite Radioactive Waste's feeling that Middlesbrough gave us a beating, I think it was just a case of giving them too much respect. They were better than us, but not by much. The Blackburn result was because having giving as good as we got, we suddenly reverted to abandoning midfield, inviting them to wade through us, and they duly obliged. It was clear to me that we needed to think higher of ourselves than we were doing at the start. We suffered at Sheffield United for the same reasons, although the bane of my life had their influence with the dodgy non-free-kick. And only against Sunderland was the difference in class apparent. Without the Norwich fiasco we could have been anywhere between 2 and 3 points better off, which would have been a fantastic response.

3) Thoughts on the summer signings so far?

Excellent signings, Osborne excepted as he hasn't really shown what the fuss was all about. At the time though, he was perhaps all we thought could be persuaded to come to us. It is satisfying to leave PP at the end of a match without anybody, including Osborne having let us down. All have been up to the mark, and the togetherness is brilliant.

4) Have the first 9 games changed your expectations for this season?

Yes, very much. Instead of a long, hard struggle, we can  think instead of just how far can we go this season?

5) With January fast approaching, is there a weakness in the squad that you would like to see addressed in the transfer window?

The obvious one of our front line. It might be partially solved when (not if) Yates gets off the mark.

6) Any additional thoughts on Warne, back room staff or  the team that don’t really fit in the first 5 questions?

Despite getting us promotion I remain critical of how Paul and crew had us playing for much of last season. He obviously viewed it as "needs must", but we were capable of so much more. So my concern this season was whether or not our coaching staff could get us to realise our greater capabilities. I have been greatly surprised to see us playing what is easily recognised as football. It is for me really enjoyable to watch, especially to see that since the first 2 or 3 matches we are n o longer treating midfield as a "no go" area! And it really does benefit us. My only concern is in terms of bringing our home-grown talent through. As I have said elsewhere, if Ringo Starr wasn't a scouse he could have written the song "All we are saying, is given Brown a chance". He may well be a colossal flop, but he may also be an astounding success, but with him sat on the bench on a good day, we will never know.

But apart from that, thanks so far Paul Warne, and thanks so far you Rams. Lets have some more!

Edited by DavesaRam

1) How do you feel about the performances from the team in the first 9 games of the season?

Overall very pleased with performances. Shown grit and determination, good shape without the ball and a big improvement in quality of football. It's more exciting to watch and we've been right there in every game against decent opposition.

Next step is to protect the ball a bit better and improve confidence retaining possession because I think the ability is there.

Happy, deserved more on the road but points on the board is above expectation. 

Really impressed. The good character first approach has been enhanced by 'good footballer' too. Winning combo! Kenzo in particular is a joy to watch. All others impressive too. Square pegs, square holes.

Much more optimistic for an enjoyable mid table finish.

5) With January fast approaching, is there a weakness in the squad that you would like to see addressed in the transfer window?

CDM cover/competition, Striker cover/competition. Ideally I think we try to offload some that won't really play a part (Wash, Barks, Ward?) and add competition for those in the first 11. I'd like Brown to go out and get games.

6) Any additional thoughts on Warne, back room staff or the team that don’t really fit in the first 5 questions?

Always confident that Warne would find ways to accumulate points but pleased it's been more 'progressive' than expected. For what is worth I would have been happy with pragmatic all things considered.

Credit to the set piece training, something we've been rubbish at for years pre-Warne but now showing creativity and causing problems for defences. 

Warne (and the whole squad) continue to be a guys I really want to succeed. Hopefully stay united when we have dips in form too.

8/10

7 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

Overall very pleased with performances. Shown grit and determination, good shape without the ball and a big improvement in quality of football. It's more exciting to watch and we've been right there in every game against decent opposition.

Next step is to protect the ball a bit better and improve confidence retaining possession because I think the ability is there.

Happy, deserved more on the road but points on the board is above expectation. 

Really impressed. The good character first approach has been enhanced by 'good footballer' too. Winning combo! Kenzo in particular is a joy to watch. All others impressive too. Square pegs, square holes.

Much more optimistic for an enjoyable mid table finish.

CDM cover/competition, Striker cover/competition. Ideally I think we try to offload some that won't really play a part (Wash, Barks, Ward?) and add competition for those in the first 11. I'd like Brown to go out and get games.

6) Any additional thoughts on Warne, back room staff or the team that don’t really fit in the first 5 questions?

Always confident that Warne would find ways to accumulate points but pleased it's been more 'progressive' than expected. For what is worth I would have been happy with pragmatic all things considered.

Credit to the set piece training, something we've been rubbish at for years pre-Warne but now showing creativity and causing problems for defences. 

Warne (and the whole squad) continue to be a guys I really want to succeed. Hopefully stay united when we have dips in form too.

8/10

Agree with everything you’ve said. I think to get to where we are now after what we’ve been through over the past few years is a great achievement and reflects well on everyone connected to the club. Now is a good time to be a Rams fan and I’m very excited to see what the next 3/4 years brings. COYR!!!!

Better football than I expected. About the points haul I expected. The 5 teams we've lost to are all above us in the table. None of them gave us a hammering with the possible exception of those mad 15, 2nd half minutes at Blackburn. We've played reasonably well in all of them. IMO we were worth a draw at Watford, got robbed by poor officiating against Norwich, well worth a point at Sheff U which we didn't get. We might have had more points on the board. 

Would love to have won all 9 but that was never going to happen. Of the results that did go our way, the Boro defensive display was immense, they will bemoan the fact that they had the lion's share of play but, apart from the, rightly, disallowed offside goal, they were restricted to long range shots. We have yet to play badly, which is very acceptable.

JWZ immense. Kenzo quality. Ozoh will be a top player. Ebou is back this time as one of our own and is, well, Ebou. Harness has started to show what he has in his locker. Jackson is very good. As is Yates who will score soon and then will go on to get more but is still worth his place for all the positive work he does. Phillips hasn't really had the chance to show us what he's about, yet, but has shown that he does have a solid game in him.

I can see us being comfortably midtable, which is better than I expected.

Double edged sword there. A consistent, goal scoring #9 would be good but Yates does a mountain of work we'd miss if we got a replacement in. Do we need a 20 goal man this season seeing we've had 9 or 10 different goal scorers this season so far? We also have to remember that the 25 man squad is currently full so, for anyone to come in, someone would have to go. Striker in sees one or two of Wash, Collo and Brown out on loan. Barks out on loan maybe. Considering NML has been average at best, and has a contract to the summer of '26, might the club cash in come January?

6) Any additional thoughts on Warne, back room staff or  the team that don’t really fit in the first 5 questions?

Hard to judge with still 80% of the season to go but, thus far, it seems that those suggesting Warne can't manage at this level, may well have been wrong and that those of us who pointed out that the single common denominator in all RUFC's relegations, has been RUFC who sold off the crown jewels after each promotion leaving the staff with yet another uphill battle. They were 8th, 5th if they won their game in hand, when we nicked PW et al. They plummeted to 19th that season and were relegated the season after. All his time at the Millers proves is that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and, in footballing terms, Rotherham United are a sow's ear.

On 07/10/2024 at 21:53, Carl Sagan said:

Definitely. Here's the table so far showing how goals have been scored, ranked by set pieces:

image.thumb.png.69362dc879a8cc457f13e34e858fa6ce.png

What a magnificent effort by coaching staff and players to have scored almost twice as many set piece goals as our nearest rivals.

I think that you've missed a column off there, next to the 'open play' one, there should be an 'out of play' one, Norwich would have at least 2 in that column.

The performances are better than they were in League 1, but we are still very much one dimensional offensively. Get it down the wing - cross it in the box. If you can't do that, back to the defence, switch play, try again. Defensively, we're pretty solid. When we've conceded, it's generally felt like we've lost the ball when overcommitted and been countered on. A better midfield presence and a set up that allows us to retain the ball in midfield would help us out massively.

The best thing about our performances this season has been the number of goals we're scoring from set pieces, and the worst thing about our performances is that we can seemingly only score from set pieces. If that dries up, I'd be quite worried.

2) How happy are you with the first 9 results?

We are beating the teams we need to be beating. We're also losing the games we'd expect to lose. With the exception of Middlesbrough, we haven't got a result better that what we'd expect if we're aiming to stay up. Which is fine, but it means games against the teams around us are more critical if we want to stay up, especially if we aren't likely to snatch an unexpected away result. We can't afford to have a 'bad day' against Plymouth at home, for example.

The signings are definitely better than what we've let go. JWZ and Kenzo are the gems - our European scouting network will hopefully pay some dividends in the future!

It also seems like we haven't spent a penny that we haven't generated through player sales (JWZ and Kenzo were paid for from the sell on fees of Kellyman and Delap?). 

Investment is critical by January - especially with the new set up and scouting. With more money we can make better investments.

They haven't. Staying up is critical. That's all we ask. If anything, I think it may end up being a closer run finale than we'd have hoped. We've lost 5 games this season to teams that will be going for play-offs this year, which doesn't include teams like Burnley, Leeds, West Brom, Luton, Coventry etc. We need to start getting some results (I'd take draws) against those teams nearer the top (especially away from home), if not I can imagine us being right down in the mire by the end of the season

Striker for sure. I'd like another up top to run off Yates' shoulder. Someone like a Marriott, or a Nugent type striker.

A holding midfielder/ bruiser (like a Eustace or a Seth). Those players don't really exist anymore though. Nor does Warne ever want one.

Left Wing/ Left Back. Not sold on CBT, and we're light down that side. Also, Elder and Fozzy could both be a little to injury prone without another backup. Maybe that's Osborn though. A player that could cover both would be nice (like a Joe Ward with a left foot).

The team are progressing nicely. We look better than we did last season which I wasn't really expecting. But I think the management/ playing style needs to progress a little more. We need to be comfortable keeping the ball in the middle of the park. Preferably higher up the park too. All the good teams that have come to Derby have done that well. It gives us another option other than down the wing, cross it in or play it back. It'd also make our crosses better because we'd have more bodies in the box.

We need to find good patterns to score from open play. Set pieces are great, but can only get you so far - the other teams will wise up to it eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s 10 games now so I am going to duck the questions if that’s allowed 😛

We are where I hoped we’d be .. that’s pragmatic hope as opposed to dreaming hope.

The good:

New players have integrated well 

Style has improved and become more interesting to watch in general as we use variable tactics and actually use the middle of the park

The not so good and the missing

Ball retention isn’t good enough.

Percentage of individual errors is too high

Another striker please

REPORT CARD

Pupil Name DCFC

Class 2A

Term Autumn 2024

Class Position 12/24

Exams. None until May but current progress indicates a B is obtainable

Staff Comment. It should be noted that only PE teachers are allowed bobble hats.  Mr Atwell will be away on Monday for his belated visit to spec savers. Those hoping Mr Collina will deputise are going to be disappointed (again)

2 hours ago, jono said:

It’s 10 games now so I am going to duck the questions if that’s allowed 😛

We are where I hoped we’d be .. that’s pragmatic hope as opposed to dreaming hope.

The good:

New players have integrated well 

Style has improved and become more interesting to watch in general as we use variable tactics and actually use the middle of the park

The not so good and the missing

Ball retention isn’t good enough.

Percentage of individual errors is too high

Another striker please

REPORT CARD

Pupil Name DCFC

Class 2A

Term Autumn 2024

Class Position 12/24

Exams. None until May but current progress indicates a B is obtainable

Staff Comment. It should be noted that only PE teachers are allowed bobble hats.  Mr Atwell will be away on Monday for his belated visit to spec savers. Those hoping Mr Collina will deputise are going to be disappointed (again)

While Mr Atwell is at spec savers maybe he could take his linesman with him to get some prescription sunglasses 😎 

Better than expected and indications that there could be improvement.

Expectations exceeded, in terms of points tally. 

Kenzo, Ozoh & Zetterstrom obviously the ones that stand out. Harness looks a tidy player with good energy levels. 

Yes, if we can improve away form we should comfortably avoid a relegation scrap. Outside chance of mid table finish.

A proven striker needed. But only if better than we already have. It's a difficult one as there is competition for goal scorers at all levels.

Warney is keeping the team competitive, and although not my preferred managerial choice, he's doing a reasonably good job. 

Edited by europia