Sheff UTD (A) - Match Thread

Eoghan1884

JWZ

nyambe Nelson Philips Cashin elder 

Adams.    Osborn 

NML           Yates.          Edwards 

yep I know no Kenzo starting but Warne will go for strength in this one and it’s a shame Ozoh is missing 

15 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I can absolutely see why we might be tempted to go with this cautious approach but we don’t have sufficient up front to provide an outlet when we get the ball.

Neither wing back is especially attacking and if they get to the byline, there’s little to aim for.

I think we have to risk losing to get a result. Let them worry about our front three, released by Kenzo, and trust Osborn and Adams to protect the back four.

Otherwise we’ll be looking at a 30:70 possession game which is harder to cope with away from home. 

There’s always Wardy / Wilson at wingback if we need more in attack, but whilst I like both of them I can’t see Warne doing that away from home ? 

8 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

JWZ

Adams.    Osborn 

yep I know no Kenzo starting but Warne will go for strength in this one and it’s a shame Ozoh is missing 

New signing or just a little brain fart?

I don't mind the idea of this change of shape and could definitely see Warne doing it,  but leaving Kenzo out would be a real shame. I can see the argument for minimising changes and slotting Osborne in for Ozoh. 

Glad I'm not in charge!

17 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

JWZ

Adams.    Osborn 

What am I doing I meant Jackson not Edwards - how the Huw he got there I’ll never know 

7 minutes ago, jono said:

There’s always Wardy / Wilson at wingback if we need more in attack, but whilst I like both of them I can’t see Warne doing that away from home ? 

My point was we should have our players in the roles in which they perform best.

Keep a back four which has worked well. Keep the three in midfield with Osborn slotting in for Ozoh, and let the front three who have gelled so well together terrorise Sheffield in the break.

If we only have two strikers they will be snuffed out.

6 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I do think Warne might use this as a reason to bring Phillips in and shift to 343. We've not brought in him to keep him on the bench and I think it'll just be a case of facing a good team + need to make change + warnes preference for 3 at the back will make the case for it. 

Makes it easier to have cover in midfield as well. 

I'm not 100% how you best balance a 343 to get the most out of Goudmijn though. I think it probably depends on choice of wing back and perhaps getting one or both to act more like a midfielder.

I think it'll be a gradual change. Maybe for the last 20/30 this weekend, before we start wit it again.

To go 3 at the back, we'd have to either drop Goudmijn for balance or move him to the AM in a 3412 which doesn't really solve the lack of CMs problem.

The other part is putting Wilson or Ward in at RWB with Nyambe dropping to the bench - a change which doesn't make sense given Nyambe's form since coming back into the side.

If going 3412, it means we drop one of Mendez-Laing and Jackson and moving the other into a central position. Both have been critical for our defensive shape so far this season, with no other winger being close to their defensive output, as well as Jackson looking effective in the final third from the right.

All things considered, I expect a 433 from the start, with a shift to 343 by the end of the game

Key Points from Paul Warne's interview with BBC radio derby 

- Does like a back 5 but he is considering a few options with Ozoh's absence 

- Admits he'll need to slightly change how we play at home in comparison to away to help get results 

- Says Osborn is a great person to have with a good footballing brain and will be a good coach 

- Says CBT and Washington are back to fitness and trying to get into the squad. 

- Ozoh 4-5 weeks, Tommo 3-4 weeks, Chirewa is back after saturday and Barkhuizen is back in a week or so.

Didn’t Cash make his first team debut as a DM? I seem to recall him coming on as a sub and nearly snapping Matt Clarke in two with a horrendous challenge. Might be misremembering.

Anyway, I’m not suggesting playing him there this weekend, but talk of playing Phillips there made me think of it. I’d bring Phillips in and move to a back 3. We need to be solid first and foremost against a very good side.

13 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Dom and Ed were talking about this on BBC radio derby and they can’t find any record of Phillips ever playing in midfield or klopp talking about it. I also had a look and can’t see any record of him playing there either. I actually think this has stemmed from someone making a mistake and saying he played there before. If he can great but I don’t think he actually ever has.

Thought it came from their forum, but if that's the case, then I'd still be going with the same back 4 and have Osborn and Kenzo either side of Ebou, with Kenzo given license to roam a little. I think to take something from the game, we still need to present some form of threat. Starting with 3 CBs and two FBs playing as WBs doesn't help in that regard IMO as I could see Yates cutting a lonely figure upfront. Have to concede though, that I felt the same at the end of last season and clearly Warne got that right and I didn't. I'd also concede that in terms of personnel, we do now have more willing and rapid forwards at hand too and that may prove key in Warne's thinking, especially if a 3/5 really is his natural inclination anyway.

Not long to wait now until all is revealed in any case and if we do nick a point with a solid and disciplined defensive set, then I'll be blooming delighted. A 10 point haul from 6 games with us having played 4 of the current top 10, 3 of them away from home... That'd be quite something now, wouldn't it?

COYR

1 hour ago, Kinder said:

Didn’t Cash make his first team debut as a DM? I seem to recall him coming on as a sub and nearly snapping Matt Clarke in two with a horrendous challenge. Might be misremembering.

Anyway, I’m not suggesting playing him there this weekend, but talk of playing Phillips there made me think of it. I’d bring Phillips in and move to a back 3. We need to be solid first and foremost against a very good side.

Pretty much. Rooney initially used him to see a few games out and kick anything which moved. A couple of injuries to CBs and he returned to where he had spent his entire youth career.