Our set-pieces this season

Just heard on the 'Not The Top 20' podcast....we have the best ratio of goals from set-pieces to successfully defending them across the whole EFL. Someone in the coaching staff clearly knows their onions.

Thinking about it, across my 4+ decades following the club we've never been much cop at set-pieces, Hindmarch, Wright spring to mind but overall like being mostly crap away from home it's something that's always seemed to have followed us around.

Edited by Steadybreeze
Grammar

2 minutes ago, Steadybreeze said:

Just heard on the 'Not The Top 20' podcast....we have the best ratio of goals from set-pieces to successfully defending them across the whole EFL. Someone in the coaching staff clearly knows their onions.

Thinking about it, across my 4+ decades following the club we've never been much cop at set-pieces, Hindmarch, Wright spring to mind but overall like being mostly crap away from home it's something that's always seemed to have followed us around.

I think Warne said Matt Hamshaw was the man for set piece coaching, said he was employee of the week after Satudays game.

Set piece goals feel like a freebie. They feel like you don't have to work too hard to get them (comparatively, in the scheme of things). You can be distinctly second best, get 1 corner and suddenly you're ahead and things look different. Warne has preached the entire time that set piece goals are priceless and it's hard to disagree.

Just now, ramit said:

It's good to see us getting strong at set pieces, now we just need to work on player movement at throw-ins

Think Warne knows this is an issue as well, believe he's mentioned it relatively recently. Seemed to me that we noticeably took throw ins a lot quicker against Orient and it helped no end. Don't know if anyone noticed that?

1 minute ago, ramit said:

It's good to see us getting strong at set pieces, now we just need to work on player movement at throw-ins

I remember Rooney commenting on how poor we were at throw-ins, and that was a while ago. 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Think Warne knows this is an issue as well, believe he's mentioned it relatively recently. Seemed to me that we noticeably took throw ins a lot quicker against Orient and it helped no end. Don't know if anyone noticed that?

I hadn't thought about it but you're right. Still something to work on from what I've seen. A quick throw in, or long one into the box can do all sorts of damage. 

47 minutes ago, Steadybreeze said:

Good shout Steady! Our defence has been excellent all season, the odd brainfart notwithstanding, but the goals have been critical to keeping our noses ahead of the chasers, in recent weeks especially. I'm actually pretty chuffed with that, to top the stats for the entire EFL is seriously impressive. 

Is it Matt Hamshaw (first team coach) who is due a collective doff of our caps? I think it is as IIRC, Warne joked about Hamshaw getting his stuff right in the post-match presser.  It seems to me that when he's poking fun at someone, that usually means he's very happy with them. Whoever it is will probably be getting a raise in any case! 

EDIT: Thanks for confirming  @NottsRam - hadn't seen you post when writing this!

Edited by Comrade 86

1 hour ago, ramit said:

We still need to work on a lot of things but 100% agree on throw ins - we are rubbish. Other teams don’t seem to have a problem but invariably we lose the ball, either through a bad throw which the recipient can’t control easily, a poor return to the thrower or lack of options to throw the ball to. Don’t see it should be too difficult and Warne has mentioned it several times.

prefer to score from a set piece than get a throw in right. Can’t e have both?

Also I can’t remember too many goals scored from a direct free kick. Bird springs to mind but can’t recall any others. You would think with Hourihane and Ward we would get a few more.

1 hour ago, On the Ram Page said:

We still need to work on a lot of things but 100% agree on throw ins - we are rubbish. Other teams don’t seem to have a problem but invariably we lose the ball, either through a bad throw which the recipient can’t control easily, a poor return to the thrower or lack of options to throw the ball to. Don’t see it should be too difficult and Warne has mentioned it several times.

prefer to score from a set piece than get a throw in right. Can’t e have both?

Also I can’t remember too many goals scored from a direct free kick. Bird springs to mind but can’t recall any others. You would think with Hourihane and Ward we would get a few more.

Yep - only 1 free kick scored directly all season (Bird). So everything else is goals from corners or set pieces. Makes the stat more remarkable.