Athletic article on Chris Kirchner

I thought the jist of the article from those interviewed was that in retrospect they were taken aback by how genuine he seemed, and how they thought it impossible (at the time) to even consider that he wasn't the real deal

The bit where someone describes him being at the LIV Pro-am golf thing and he was giving Yasir Al-Rumayyan bear hugs and acting like they were the oldest, bestest friends. Without the benefit of hindsight, if you'd witnessed scenes like that - would you have thought "nah he's probably a fraud"?

Taking the fact he nearly destroyed our club out of the equation, you almost have to have a kind of admiration for quite how far he took his fantasist lifestyle and what he got away with. On a par with Anna Sorokin. Would anyone be surprised if they maker a Netflix series out of it?

10 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

That’s the issue with the article, it’s alright saying ‘look at this wrongun’ and MM or Preston saying ‘we knew he was a wrongun’ but they didn’t raise any concerns at a time when they could. Yes there is an issue of football clubs that are going into the wrong persons hands, but part of that is those that help legitimise those people and push them through in the first place. Saying they didn’t know absolves the EFL, Cook, Stretford, Quantama and a whole lot of others who caused a lot more mess for Derby County. 

Can you imagine the absolute meltdown amongst the fanbase if Morris had basically come out and said he didn't like/trust/whatever Kirchner and wasn't going to deal with him?  The same with the EFL and Quantuma really.  Kirchner passed the basic tests he was required to pass, and had all the hallmarks of a reputable businessman - it wasn't like he was that random Sheikh who may or may not be related to the Man City lot, or that Spanish guy who seemingly had very little beyond an Instagram profile (which was probably faked anyway), or any of the other chancers who cropped up over the years.  He owned a legit business, had major financing from reputable companies and was actively involved in sports sponsorships.

If any of MM/the EFL/Quantuma etc had come out and said they weren't dealing with Kirchner, then Kirchner would have been all over Radio Derby/social media etc saying he was trying to save Derby and whoever was stopping him doing it.  It would have been chaos.

53 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I thought the jist of the article from those interviewed was that in retrospect they were taken aback by how genuine he seemed, and how they thought it impossible (at the time) to even consider that he wasn't the real deal

The bit where someone describes him being at the LIV Pro-am golf thing and he was giving Yasir Al-Rumayyan bear hugs and acting like they were the oldest, bestest friends. Without the benefit of hindsight, if you'd witnessed scenes like that - would you have thought "nah he's probably a fraud"?

Taking the fact he nearly destroyed our club out of the equation, you almost have to have a kind of admiration for quite how far he took his fantasist lifestyle and what he got away with. On a par with Anna Sorokin. Would anyone be surprised if they maker a Netflix series out of it?

You can question, as a head of a supporters group, why you’ve been invited to a LIV-Pro event by him in the first place and whether it’s appropriate to accept that offer.

Presumably this is the same LIV-Pro event where Kirchner was stepped by Dan Roan for not yet producing the funds for the takeover?

23 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Presumably this is the same LIV-Pro event where Kirchner was stepped by Dan Roan for not yet producing the funds for the takeover?

Yes - and Nigel Owen states that within an hour of that approach being made by Roan - CK was telling everyone privately that the funds had been transferred and the job was done

24 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

You can question, as a head of a supporters group, why you’ve been invited to a LIV-Pro event by him in the first place and whether it’s appropriate to accept that offer.

You can question that with the benefit of hindsight yes, but it's easy to see why, at the time the head of a Supporters Group would have accepted the invite. CK's MO was very much flattery and trying to make emotional connections with people

Kirchner gets sentenced on, IIRC, July 11th, I wonder what he'll get? If he gets the maximum on all charges and serves those consecutively, rather than concurrently, he could get as much as 150 years.

I don't think he'll get anything like that, based on what the Bitcoin whizz kid got earlier this week. 25 years for embezzling Billions rather the around $25M which CK is being done for. 20 to 25 is my guess.

15 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Kirchner gets sentenced on, IIRC, July 11th, I wonder what he'll get? If he gets the maximum on all charges and serves those consecutively, rather than concurrently, he could get as much as 150 years.

I don't think he'll get anything like that, based on what the Bitcoin whizz kid got earlier this week. 25 years for embezzling Billions rather the around $25M which CK is being done for. 20 to 25 is my guess.

Will the court make him give back the Rams coat he wore?

He did obtain it under false pretences 😂

Edited by Elwood P Dowd