Bolton tactics

Really interesting dilemma for the Bolton manager today. How to set up the team.

Playing away at your main rival for the autos. 1 point behind.

Do you set up the team to avoid defeat with the belief you can overcome the 1 point deficit over the next 7 games? {Or perhaps even nick a winner in the break}

Or do you play for the win and potentially more open, risking defeat and being 4 points behind at the end of the day?

How would you set the team up in Bolton's position?

Whenever I’ve seen them recently their football has been similar to Roseniors so I imagine they’ll just look to control the match. 

We’ll probably start bright for the first 15 mins and maybe have a good final 15 depending on the score of course. Everything in between will be tightly contested.

They will look to starve us of the ball, for sure, but I do wonder how high their back line will be - I’d suspect a mid-low block and a lot of emphasis on Sheehan (their DM) to play through the lines and control the space between midfield and defence. I’d like to see us get a man on him whenever they have the ball, make them play longer passes. 

Of course that all changes if they play with a high line but I just don’t see them doing that with Barkhuizen, NML and Gayle upfront. A huge risk that they don’t need to really take. 

15 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

They will look to starve us of the ball, for sure, but I do wonder how high their back line will be - I’d suspect a mid-low block and a lot of emphasis on Sheehan (their DM) to play through the lines and control the space between midfield and defence. I’d like to see us get a man on him whenever they have the ball, make them play longer passes. 

Of course that all changes if they play with a high line but I just don’t see them doing that with Barkhuizen, NML and Gayle upfront. A huge risk that they don’t need to really take. 

We're wondering the same - it's a dilemma for Evatt because he changed things up for the Oxford game and put more emphasis on depending on Santos' athleticism to snuff out any counter attacks - he is a beast after all, but he's not been at his best recently. Conversely, it would be risky for the Rams to commit too many players forward as our midfield plays quickly through the lines and we'll be in your box faster than you can say rampant rabbit. A problem for both managers and it will be interesting to see which way it goes.

I would be setting up to win 4 3 3 get the ball wide and get as many crosses into the box and a attacking winger over lapping 

When teams play for a draw they usually lose anyway so it's better attacking and taking chances 

Anyway here is hoping we get the three points

Don’t expect a lot of midfield players making runs into the box .I can see crosses coming in with not many players in the box. Congestion in midfield , tackles flying in . Bit of rolling around . A sending off will spoil the game . Both managers would take a draw . Don’t expect the kitchen sink to be thrown . 

12 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

A sending off will spoil the game . Both managers would take a draw . Don’t expect the kitchen sink to be thrown . 

Expect a few tantrums tho if things don't turn out well.

I'll be elbowing my way to the front of the line anorl......😁