What are you reading? πŸ“š

12 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I met a couple of Irish girls at uni who absolutely hate us and fully believe they were the good guys. I don't know enough about it to comment but the strength of feeling is there. It was quite eye-opening tbh.

Some of the younger generations are more fired up by the whole history than older generations, partly because they're only taught about it from one perspective in school and much of it is glamourised by the rebel songs and sad ballads that are a strong part of Irish culture.

I married into an Irish republican (small r) family who's forebears were active in Irish politics and rebellion in the early part of the 20th century. They were anti-Treaty, and fought the Crown and later the Free State Government. The older relatives were always welcoming, though keen to tell me about the family history. Some of the younger ones were a bit aggy with me, but that passed over time. In general nowadays, I get no grief about the history when I go to Ireland, though occasionally some juiced-up stranger in a bar will say something, but I never react.

I'd recommend anyone going to Ireland to brush up on the true history of the English and British in Ireland. At the very least, it may help to save you from making crass or insensitive remarks. It is also noticed and appreciated if you show you're not as ignorant about the history as they think we all are.

Edited by Crewton

I got last minute cheap tickets for Girls Aloud last week and it left me wanting to read Sarah Harding’s autobiography Hear Me Out. I really enjoyed reading her memories. There wasn’t any earth shattering revelations but some funny behind the scenes stories and a lot of honesty around her fight with breast cancer at such a young age. I don’t usually read celebrity autobiographies but I really enjoyed it and got through it in just a few days.Β