Shamima Begum loses appeal against removal of British citizenship

Ram-Alf

As others have said, we can't outsource our own problems to other people to deal with. She is our responsibility and should be dealt with here.

I think a reason some don't seem to see this, and are happy to be rid of her, is that probably hardly anyone has confidence the British state would do a good job of dealing with her in a just and effective way. The country is in a mess - schoolgirls willingly going off to be Islamic brides for an evil terrorist movement with a penchant for beheadings, is just one symptom of that.

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

As others have said, we can't outsource our own problems to other people to deal with. She is our responsibility and should be dealt with here.

I think a reason some don't seem to see this, and are happy to be rid of her, is that probably hardly anyone has confidence the British state would do a good job of dealing with her in a just and effective way. The country is in a mess - schoolgirls willingly going off to be Islamic brides for an evil terrorist movement with a penchant for beheadings, is just one symptom of that.

I agree it shouldn’t be outsourced but I disagree over why many people are happy to get rid of her. I reckon it’s just a case of “not our problem - let someone else deal with her”. Also, I don’t think said “Islamic brides” is an issue unique to the UK nor necessarily a reflection on the state of the countries they originated from. I really don’t think Begum chose to go to Syria because of the state of the UK. Surely she, and any other schoolgirls that have done the same, have done so because they feel a duty or a calling to go.

Edited by Tamworthram

Not against removing citizenship of people who came here and commit serious crimes - for example some of those convicted of grooming - but in Begum's case she was born here, she wasn't a Bangladeshi citizen just had the right to claim it and was under 18.   Any one of those factors for me means she should face any justice here in the uk. 

Just on principle I don't think the justice system should make an example of individuals and undoubtedly that is happening here.  

7 hours ago, trappatoni said:

Not against removing citizenship of people who came here and commit serious crimes - for example some of those convicted of grooming - but in Begum's case she was born here, she wasn't a Bangladeshi citizen just had the right to claim it and was under 18.   Any one of those factors for me means she should face any justice here in the uk. 

Just on principle I don't think the justice system should make an example of individuals and undoubtedly that is happening here.  

Exactly. 

Because the next person being made an example of could be me or you.