Rail travel to games - away or home

angieram

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

Or return the ownership of the railways to their rightful owners and start anew.

I feel that we have missed the boat though. The time for massive investment in infrastructure projects (e.g. public transport) is when interest rates are low.

Agreed. I would fully support the return of the railways to public ownership (assuming it was managed effectively of course) but, as you allude to, a massive investment in the infrastructure would be required in order to deliver the service, at a reasonable cost, that most of us crave.

I know groups of 6-8 have been hiring a mini van taxi for the day to take them to away games. Works out cheaper than a train for the longer distances and the taxi actually turns up on time. A shame that folks are having to result to this. It's not manageable for smaller groups.

21 minutes ago, SSD said:

I know groups of 6-8 have been hiring a mini van taxi for the day to take them to away games. Works out cheaper than a train for the longer distances and the taxi actually turns up on time. A shame that folks are having to result to this. It's not manageable for smaller groups.

I remember years ago, loads of us piling into the back of a transit van and travelling all over the place. No seat belts or anything. You couldn't (shouldn't) do that now. Health and Safety gone mad. 😀

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I remember years ago, loads of us piling into the back of a transit van and travelling all over the place. No seat belts or anything. You couldn't (shouldn't) do that now. Health and Safety gone mad. 😀

Get Out Of Here Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

10 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I've told this story before but its a good excuse to reminisce again........

1982, Grimsby away. One of our lads back then was a builder (RIP Reg "Buster" Baxter of Doveridge). He told us all he'd got a van for the trip, he was going to clean it Friday evening and pick us up at 7am saturday.

We didn't really think about it too much when he turned up in the pub on the Friday night but next day we found his claim that he was going to clean it a bit dodgy.

3 sat up front in comfort and 9 of us sprawled in the back of a van, a couple of folded Union Jacks the only seats and a fine layer of cement dust.

We arrived om Cleethorpes sea front and joined a kick around on the beach with a hundred or two Rams, Covered in sand and cement we'd of been like the Terracota Army if it had rained.

Memorable weekend all in all. Two of our group got arrested for relative minor stuff. The remaining 10 of us stopped in Skeggy the night and couldn't get in a pub due to the state of us. Ended up drinking tins on the beach and climbing into the amusement area, sliding down the multi lane slide thing at 1am. We had a rams flag up and many others joined us as the pubs emptied until some clowns pished down the slide and the police arrived.

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I've told this story before but its a good excuse to reminisce again........

1982, Grimsby away. One of our lads back then was a builder (RIP Reg "Buster" Baxter of Doveridge). He told us all he'd got a van for the trip, he was going to clean it Friday evening and pick us up at 7am saturday.

We didn't really think about it too much when he turned up in the pub on the Friday night but next day we found his claim that he was going to clean it a bit dodgy.

3 sat up front in comfort and 9 of us sprawled in the back of a van, a couple of folded Union Jacks the only seats and a fine layer of cement dust.

We arrived om Cleethorpes sea front and joined a kick around on the beach with a hundred or two Rams, Covered in sand and cement we'd of been like the Terracota Army if it had rained.

Memorable weekend all in all. Two of our group got arrested for relative minor stuff. The remaining 10 of us stopped in Skeggy the night and couldn't get in a pub due to the state of us. Ended up drinking tins on the beach and climbing into the amusement area, sliding down the multi lane slide thing at 1am. We had a rams flag up and many others joined us as the pubs emptied until some clowns pished down the slide and the police arrived.

Some charcoal sketches, or it never happened!  👀