January Reinforcements

sage

54 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Why?  I think it’s explained pretty clearly and makes sense.  Think of it as we’ve effectively paid £300k for a 26 year old on a 3 1/2 year contract.  Good business.

We haven't got 300 k to spend upfront to allow us to bring in another player this window.  So we are taking from a future budget under the clubs own direction, or having to manoeuvre a pre existing condition in the 2 year plan.  Can't see any other reasoning unless I've missed it. 

Our website does say "The 26-year-old has linked up with the Rams on an initial loan deal for the remainder of the 2023/24 campaign ahead of signing on a permanent basis in the summer."

Maybe it's just the way it's phrased, but it does sound ambiguous. Either way we're Derby, these things are always fine...

It might give us some wiggle room in terms of which league we're in next season. He might have two deals on the table, a league one deal and a championship deal.  Obviously that's all speculation, no idea what the ins and out of this are. Do we just trust the process?

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We haven't got 300 k to spend upfront to allow us to bring in another player this window.  So we are taking from a future budget under the clubs own direction, or having to manoeuvre a pre existing condition in the 2 year plan.  Can't see any other reasoning unless I've missed it. 

If we can't afford a 300k transfer fee, Clowes is going to fume when he sees the 300k loan fee.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-bank-300k-loan-fee-from-corey-blackett-taylor-switch-to-derby-county/

1 minute ago, oodledoodle said:

If we can't afford a 300k transfer fee, Clowes is going to fume when he sees the 300k loan fee.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-bank-300k-loan-fee-from-corey-blackett-taylor-switch-to-derby-county/

So we are manoeuvring a business plan then.  We need a winger but we don't need anymore EFL bollox.  They've signed off on things before as we all know.  Makes me twitchy.  What will be, will be.

3 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Our website does say "The 26-year-old has linked up with the Rams on an initial loan deal for the remainder of the 2023/24 campaign ahead of signing on a permanent basis in the summer."

Maybe it's just the way it's phrased, but it does sound ambiguous. Either way we're Derby, these things are always fine...

It might give us some wiggle room in terms of which league we're in next season. He might have two deals on the table, a league one deal and a championship deal.  Obviously that's all speculation, no idea what the ins and out of this are. Do we just trust the process?

Why is it ambiguous ?

Pretty clear to me, unless I'm missing something, he is on loan and then signs a perm deal in summer.

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

Pleased that we've signed the lad but the structure of the deal leaves more questions than answers about our finances yet again....

I assume it's putting money into a specific column on an accounting sheet. One column is allowed by the EFL, the other is not. I was personally hoping to be past all this by now. But if it helps us move forward then let's do it. This will have all been agreed by the league, so let's enjoy it.

1 minute ago, Returning ram said:

Why is it ambiguous ?

Pretty clear to me, unless I'm missing something, he is on loan and then signs a perm deal in summer.

What if he changes his mind about signing in the summer? Is he under any obligation to actually join us? What if he has a fantastic few months here, then gets offered a deal elsewhere?

I'm sure I'm just paranoid, I'd just like to have seen him wrapped up with us today.

2 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

I assume it's putting money into a specific column on an accounting sheet. One column is allowed by the EFL, the other is not. I was personally hoping to be past all this by now. But if it helps us move forward then let's do it. This will have all been agreed by the league, so let's enjoy it.

It's coming up with some Byzantine plan to effectively spend 300k on a player regardless of how the outlay is made. Same result loan fee or permanent transfer. 300k. 

It also irks me slightly that the talk in the summer was that we had a pot of money for transfers but this pot is none existent as it has a dependency on players being sold. 

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's coming up with some Byzantine plan to effectively spend 300k on a player regardless of how the outlay is made. Same result loan fee or permanent transfer. 300k. 

It also irks me slightly that the talk in the summer was that we had a pot of money for transfers but this pot is none existent as it has a dependency on players being sold. 

And the Wycombe fans on their forum are still posting that we've bought the league....

2 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

What if he changes his mind about signing in the summer? Is he under any obligation to actually join us? What if he has a fantastic few months here, then gets offered a deal elsewhere?

I'm sure I'm just paranoid, I'd just like to have seen him wrapped up with us today.

Look at it the other way around, he comes here does his ACL (hopefully not kiss of death) and hasn't got any of his future secured. There is nothing stopping us from putting a contract in place now to ensure all parties are covered. Which based on the comments, is what has happened 

10 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Was he out of contract? I've seen plenty of loans with options to buy, but can't remember a single pre-agreed loan and then signing. Maybe it's just my beer addled brain.

I'm not 100% sure, it was about 14 years ago incredibly.  Just rang a bell.