We are all Derby

IslandExile

5 hours ago, IslandExile said:

You make some very good points in your post but I have to pick up on one thing....

Some of us who are dissatisfied with Warne are not basing it on 4 or 5 games, the performances or results, or judging it on the new players that he's brought in and who are still settling in and/or overcoming injuries, or even the efforts of the players.

No, we are basing it on the impressions we have formed of his tactical approach over the year that he's been in charge.

Warne has been here for over a year. He hasn't merely presided over 4 or 5 games. 

He has had time to lay the foundations for how the team should play and how the club should be run.

Yet, it seems, he's been forced to change formation from 352 to 4231 by injuries and Bradley's poor form.

He places too much emphasis on scoring goals from set pieces rather than enterprising football.

He rarely gets team selection or substitutions right in my view - Blackpool was an obvious exception.

For someone who claims to live and breathe football, it's surprising that the reports are that he hasn't been to a single academy game - and doesn't even know the names of some of their star performers. That's hardly providing an incentive to the kids.

If, as we're told, Warne was brought in to establish a tone for the club as a whole, he shouldn't be merely focused on the first team. The club have - rightly in my view - had an emphasis on having a Grade 1 academy. The impression is that Warne does not share that same interest.

So, you see, those of us who do not think Warne is a good fit for Derby County are basing it on far more than a handful of poor results at home.

We are concerned about the overall direction of the club, team tactics and the development of young players.

I understand your points. I do believe teams evolve as new players bed in and find how they compliment each other despite managers trying to implement their preferred tactics. 

I assume that David Clowes is in overall control of the future direction of the Academy and is happy to let Warne find a way out of this division as his priority.

42 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I assume that David Clowes is in overall control of the future direction of the Academy and is happy to let Warne find a way out of this division as his priority.

This bit is key and I think probably a case of nail on head. Warne always looks exhausted to me and I do think he's feeling the pressure. I hate all the we are massive shyte, but it's fair to say that we're a bigger club than he's used to and with that comes expectation, but my guess would be that it very much, first team, first, everything else on the back-burner.

It's not ideal and I do worry about the apparent lack of concern for the academy, but actually Bucko and co are turning things around there and results and performances are improving as new blood is brought in. The U18s were absolutely flying, last time I checked. 

"social" media (overall SM not just here) is full of "scoreboard warriors" again. Eejits going mental because we drew at Cheltenham. To put it into perspective, Bolton lost 1-3 at home to Carlisle.

More perspective. 62% possession. 17 shots to their 6. 8 on target to their 12. According to the "warriors" we were crap. In that case Cheltenham must have been awful. In reality, the game is all about goals and our luck seems to have been out. 2 NML efforts were well off target. Cash had one saved by the keeper, another blocked on the line by a defender. Collo mis-hit one giving the keeper an easy save, the one he did catch properly was straight at the keeper. On another day we'd have had more than one to show for our efforts but that's what defenders and keepers are there for, to prevent goals. We don't have a divine right to romp away with games.

The keyboard warriors also seem to have missed the fact that their other point this season came away at Pompey and they are top... add in new manager syndrome...

I was surprised Max was back on the bench following his performance at Blackpool. He started the 2nd half exceedingly well and had us encamped in their half. Never mind, PW to Cheltenham's rescue, Hourihane on and Max moved upfield and not getting the ball... CH didn't exactly set the world alight. He may be skipper but I don't think he's worthy of a start at the moment.

NML was very ineffective. He needs a rest but is now jetting off halfway round the world with his Guatemalan teammates. Following the break he needs to have some time on the bench.

Their goal? Bad choice of move by Fornah who was a mere shadow of his previous performances in a Derby shirt. A gift for their first goal of the season.

I feel for Sibley. Getting little to no game time and when he does it's never in his favoured position. Must be frustrating for the lad.

PW will have had his reasons for the starting XI and his choice of subs and positional changes. They were not the ones I would have made.

1st half showed a lack of urgency/sharpness from the Rams. 2nd half started very well until CHs introduction, IMO. That destroyed much of the momentum. Last 10 to 15 saw them utilise a massed defence and we couldn't break it down.

Still 3/4 of the season to go. The potential is there to do well. I just hope team selection is more Blackpool than Cheltenham.