John-Jules                   Sibley      

Waghorn

Then a back four:

Wildsmith

Ward    Nelson    Cashin    Forsyth

Hourihane    Fornah     Bird       

John-Jules        Sibley     

Waghorn

Fornah has offered some mobility in defence, so could cover for Ward when he's attacked up the pitch. I really want to see TJJ and Sibley link up. I think they'd suit each other a lot. Waghorn for his strength and his work off the ball as well as his finishing at this level.

43 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And yet David Clowes said our budget was good enough to get us up, how much more were you expecting?

I'm not expecting anything more, what I am saying is that I imagine DC has submitted a business plan that is well inside FFP, where as other owner's are in a position to subsidise their clubs a little. 

In terms of how much money a club generates, then we should be well ahead of anyone in this league, but nobody, including David Clowes, knows if any other owners have decided to pump some money into their clubs, to give them an edge.

6 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I'm not expecting anything more, what I am saying is that I imagine DC has submitted a business plan that is well inside FFP, where as other owner's are in a position to subsidise their clubs a little. 

In terms of how much money a club generates, then we should be well ahead of anyone in this league, but nobody, including David Clowes, knows if any other owners have decided to pump some money into their clubs, to give them an edge.

Surely that can be gauged from their squads and transfers? Wasn't it obvious that Ipswich threw money at the league last season?

10 minutes ago, ram59 said:

You tend to notice when a club goes from spending £4m on wages to over £10m

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

And yet David Clowes said our budget was good enough to get us up, how much more were you expecting?

This comment does make me smile a little. 

The same David Clowes who knows nothing about football which is why he made a mistake hiring Warne, at the same time he does know enough about football to know that our budget is good enough to get us promoted .

Can't have it both ways. 

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

This comment does make me smile a little. 

The same David Clowes who knows nothing about football which is why he made a mistake hiring Warne, at the same time he does know enough about football to know that our budget is good enough to get us promoted .

Can't have it both ways. 

I imagine the budget and the employment were done with the advice of Pearce, and why do they both have to be wrong or right?

Why can't Clowes/Pearce be right about the budget and wrong about Warne? Yes you can have it both ways. 😄

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I imagine the budget and the employment were done with the advice of Pearce, and why do they both have to be wrong or right?

Why can't Clowes/Pearce be right about the budget and wrong about Warne? Yes you can have it both ways. 😄

Yes agreed, can have it both ways, equally Pearce could have been right about Warne and wrong about the budget by your same logic.

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Surely that can be gauged from their squads and transfers? Wasn't it obvious that Ipswich threw money at the league last season?

But DC's comment about a competitive budget was made before any clubs had made any signings, around the end of last season.

34 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Which other teams spent lots of money then?

Who knows?

Bristol Rovers and Charlton had definite net spends in transfer fees, not including the failed £1m plus failed transfer of Clarke-Harris, but quite a few signings at other clubs were undisclosed which would indicate some kind of fee involved. Added to this are quite a number of loanees from the premier spread around, again these would cost money in terms of wages and loan fees. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I’d bump this topic and see what people’s thoughts are on this at the moment? Ideally without it turning into “well Warne won’t do this” or “so and so is useless”. More a general chat about the players in the squad and what the best combination of them is. 

What do you think our best side is? Given he’s the best finisher at the club how would you fit Sibley into the side? Do you break up the Fornah and Korey De Bruyne partnership to play Bird deeper and Sibley in the 10? Does Ward start ahead of NML? Etc.

I think I’d go;

Wildsmith

Nyambe  Nelson  Cashin  Forsyth

Bird       Fornah

Ward           Sibley         Barkhuizen

Waghorn

Subs; Vickers, Bradley, Wilson, Hourihane, Smith, Collins, NML

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Added my selection.

12 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I think I’d go;

Wildsmith

Bird       Fornah

Waghorn

I like it.

Good enough to go the rest of the season unbeaten 🐏

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Thought I’d bump this topic and see what people’s thoughts are on this at the moment? Ideally without it turning into “well Warne won’t do this” or “so and so is useless”. More a general chat about the players in the squad and what the best combination of them is. 

What do you think our best side is? Given he’s the best finisher at the club how would you fit Sibley into the side? Do you break up the Fornah and Korey De Bruyne partnership to play Bird deeper and Sibley in the 10? Does Ward start ahead of NML? Etc.

I think I’d go;

Wildsmith

Bird       Fornah

Waghorn

Subs; Vickers, Bradley, Wilson, Hourihane, Smith, Collins, NML

I like it Caerphilly but when and if fit I’d like to see John Jules in there probably ahead of Ward. Especially at home I’d love to see Sibley and JJ running at the opposition. Plus I like the idea of seeing Waghorn in the number 9 shirt because he holds the ball up a lot better than our other options.

8 hours ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

I like it Caerphilly but when and if fit I’d like to see John Jules in there probably ahead of Ward. Especially at home I’d love to see Sibley and JJ running at the opposition. Plus I like the idea of seeing Waghorn in the number 9 shirt because he holds the ball up a lot better than our other options.

In truth I forgot about JJ, he’s an unknown quantity for me so must have been in a mental blindspot. Perhaps once fit he’ll be the one to add something different to the forward line for those games where teams sit in. 

Depending on the opposition I'd go either 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Collins keeps his place because in these systems he should be told in no uncertain terms to stay central and get in the box as much as possible. There should be enough legs around him to do the running if the team are playing properly.

4-3-3

Wildsmith

Nyambe - Nelson - Cashin - Elder

Fornah - Smith - Bird

NML - Collins - Barkhuizen

4-2-3-1

Wildsmith

Nyambe - Nelson - Cashin - Forsyth

Fornah - Bird

NML - Sibley - Barkhuizen

Collins

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

This is our first team outfielders, including the position and formation which they've been used the most in recent seasons:

Cashin - LCB (4231)
Bradley - LCB/CB (352)
Nelson - CB/RCB (Various 3 at the back systems, mostly 4231 last season)
Rooney - RCB (352)
Forsyth - LB (4231)
Elder - LB (4231)
Nyambe - RCB/RWB (352)
Ward - RWB (various 3 at the back systems)
Wilson - RWB (352)
Smith - CM (3412)
Fornah - RCM (433)
Thompson LCM (4231)
Bird - RCM (4231)
Hourihane - LCM (4231)
Sibley - AM (4231)
Mendez-Laing - RW (4231)
Barkhuizen - RW/LW (4231)
John-Jules - CF (4231)
Waghorn - CF (3412)
Washington - CF (352)
Collins - CF (various)

We have a defence caught between 3 and 4 at the back, a midfield and wide players who are more used to having 3 central midfielders and 1 CF than anything else, and a group of forwards who will be better off in a 2. It's difficult getting all players into a formation which they're comfortable in. It's possibly a major reason in 

For now, we should stick with 4231, but we have a decision to make in January. Stick with 4231 for the rest of the season and sign short term cover at LW and CF, with both players suitable for a 4231, or commit to Warne's 352 by offloading our wingers and sign a LWB and another CF. For now:

Wildsmith
Nyambe   Nelson   Cashin   Forsyth
Bird   Thompson
Mendez-Laing   Sibley   Barkhuizen
John-Jules