A new daily game. Name the year & opponents of a famous Rams match

admira

2 hours ago, richinspain said:

Sheffield Wednesday, home (FA Cup?), around 1986. Nicholson's power driver from 140 yards that beat England goalkeeper Chris Woods all ens up but actually went in off his heel after hitting the bar.

So neither of us got the year, but you did get Chris Woods right.

I think it was only 130 yards out though 😉

17 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

And really it was  Chris Woods own goal 😁

They obviously didn’t have a Dubious Goals Panel in those days… or didn’t have the heart to take it away from Nicholson after a hit like that one!

Apparently Nicholson thought he scored a better one for us vs. Peterborough… I don’t remember it - does anyone else?

37 minutes ago, jameso said:

They obviously didn’t have a Dubious Goals Panel in those days… or didn’t have the heart to take it away from Nicholson after a hit like that one!

Apparently Nicholson thought he scored a better one for us vs. Peterborough… I don’t remember it - does anyone else?

Found it... but I must say there's no contest for me: the one against Wednesday is better!

image.png.725514a26943c9589c37f68ed299e5b2.png

3 hours ago, admira said:

55. Year, opponents, memories. 5-5 in normal time.

image.png.ca0c4aac6589ce84bdf4e2454fbe153a.png

I'm not sure about this but didn't we have a high-scoring League Cup draw at home to Scunthorpe under NC, and the personnel would seem to fit the Clough Jr. era. (Then we lost on pens, if memory serves.)

I will go for a year either side of my guess: 2011.

Right game, one year out.

I had no recollection of this game at all, which is odd because I was going to most games in this period. To be fair, I didn't bother turning up for league cup games because our players never turned up either. This was the 4th season in succession we got dumped out by lower league opposition in the first round.

2 minutes ago, Anon said:

Right game, one year out.

I had no recollection of this game at all, which is odd because I was going to most games in this period. To be fair, I didn't bother turning up for league cup games because our players never turned up either. This was the 4th season in succession we got dumped out by lower league opposition in the first round.

Correct, 2012. Lost 7-6 on pens.

18 minutes ago, jameso said:

I have to confess I couldn't be sure from the YouTube highlights but if you trust the Derby Telegraph (!) Jacobs assisted the first four; Coutts got the final assist:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/goals-galore-penalties-high-drama-3202730

I knew he got most of them, wasn't sure if it was all 5 though

27 minutes ago, admira said:

56. Year, opponents, memories. 7-0. Goals not necessarily listed in correct order.

image.png.15cfa20a4a090760c1aae62349a14f8d.png

I hope I'm leaving this wide open for someone else (especially when I get the year wrong again) but I have a hint of a sliver of a memory of a 7-0 win over Southend.

Can't picture the game/goals but looking at the players it's late-ish in the Arthur Cox era so I'll go for 1993.

Right on either?

1 hour ago, jameso said:

I hope I'm leaving this wide open for someone else (especially when I get the year wrong again) but I have a hint of a sliver of a memory of a 7-0 win over Southend.

Can't picture the game/goals but looking at the players it's late-ish in the Arthur Cox era so I'll go for 1993.

Right on either?

I Believe it was 7th October 1992 as it was the 25th Anniversary of me watching the super Rams.

1 hour ago, jameso said:

Right on either?

Southend Oct 92.

League cup 2nd round replay.

Lost to Arsenal in the third round replay.

64 competitive matches that season including the Anglo Italian Cup final.

1 hour ago, jameso said:

Right on either?

Yes Southend but one year out of course!

1 hour ago, jameso said:

Right on either?

Remember Gabbiadini get a really bad cut, having it stitched and coming back on.  Got a perfect view middle of the Ossie End of him heading one in straight after and busting the lot open again.