EFL new TV deal

alexxxxx

21 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

The Efl will lose their power as a regulator. 

This is the bit about the deal I don’t get, from any figures quoted, it’s difficult for the ordinary fan to make a true value judgement, as we only ever find out retrospectively what it means to our clubs.

Instead many regular stadium attending fans, have to suffer kick off times changing, which could discourage season ticket tickets sales. So you would think given the noise around government fan led reviews, the football authorities would want to be squeaky clean in having the fan’s interest at heart.

This is a crap deal, but really it’s not surprising that it’s going ahead. It does nothing to address the disparity between the Championship and Premier League, yet creates a larger gulf and mirrors that problem between the Championship and League One.

I’m surprised it was passed through with such ease. It seems unfortunately likely that as a whole this will have a direct impact on crowds in the EFL too, I would anticipate a 15-20% drop in attendances, ticket prices are no doubt going to be increased in that time and with the game more accessible at home then some people will naturally take the easy option - especially when going through a bad spell.

This is the business of football. The landscape of the game has changed to be so top6 centric and that everyone else is just looking to survive best they can. Living in Nottingham, I see as many kids in shirts of top 6 clubs as I do Forest. I’d imagine it’s the same in Derby. The media have driven that narrative and I can’t imagine it will slow down.

Look at how clubs increase their attendance after getting promoted to the Premier League, for example. The fair-weather fans, if they are even fans and not local people who support a top 6 side and want to watch premier league football, come out in their droves.

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Living in Nottingham, I see as many kids in shirts of top 6 clubs as I do Forest.

To be fair, even you don’t go to watch your local team, prefer to go to the Etihad 😂

The balance between ensuring fans can access games remotely whilst not changing kick-off times too often and ensuring we still incentivise in-person attendance is a fine line to tread. Of course, in these difficult financial times, football falls by the wayside as a priority. A day out for a family of 4 is rarely cheap at the football, so many will perhaps think it's much cheaper to buy a couple of pizzas from the supermarket, a bag of sweets and switch on rams tv. I would never have a go at or judge a family or a fan for making such a decision.

I am in a financial position and was during my studies where I can't make every match that I'd like to. But we all missed live football during covid. The club's ticket prices are currently very reasonable, and they'll need to be maintained at that level to ensure fans keep coming. Local clubs like ours rely upon the passion and engagement of the local area to retain the high levels of support we have traditionally enjoyed. I think next season perhaps a bit more could be made of the match day experience to try and entice as many people to come as possible. 

Looking at the potential make up of next season’s league 1 -if Wednesday win the playoffs I would say we will feature in the lion’s share of televised games for the division which could well mean some variable kick off times as the primary game will be the championship one