Scunthorpe

MarsdenRam

Get relegated again they will be playing Cleethorpes Town.

Said to a mate earlier (Grimsby fan), surely you don't wish that, a rivalry is only a rivalry if you get to play each other at a similar level.

Nope.

Still don't believe it. That first game we play Forest again will be an electric atmosphere.

36 minutes ago, David said:

Said to a mate earlier (Grimsby fan), surely you don't wish that, a rivalry is only a rivalry if you get to play each other at a similar level.

Nope.

Still don't believe it. That first game we play Forest again will be an electric atmosphere.

Forest won’t suffer back to back relegations will they?

1 hour ago, David said:

Nope.

Nowt wrong with Clee, my Nephew played for them.🙂

Wow, that really is terrible. I wonder what went wrong there, you can see there fall from relative grace here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scunthorpe_United_F.C._seasons

16-17: finish 3rd in league 1, miss out in the playoffs 
17-18: finish 5th in league 1, miss out in the playoffs 

18-19: instant crash and burn, relegation. 
19-20: no instant rebound, crash and burn continues, finish just above the relegation zone in 20th. 
20-21: things get worse, and they just scrape survival in 22nd.

21-22: finally relegated in last place

22-23: back to back relations

what went on there then? I’m interested, as it seems like there’s a cautionary tale to be learnt there. 

7 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

what went on there then? I’m interested, as it seems like there’s a cautionary tale to be learnt there

Looks to be a classic case of incompetence, lack of stability, questionable owner and it all boils down to money.

31 minutes ago, MarsdenRam said:

Looks to be a classic case of incompetence, lack of stability, questionable owner and it all boils down to money.

It really boils my piss that there are so many stupidly wealthy people out there, that can afford to buy a football club, who are clearly complete idiots. How did they get so rich, when there are so many sensible, clever, normal people that are just scraping by?!

12 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Wow, that really is terrible. I wonder what went wrong there, you can see there fall from relative grace here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scunthorpe_United_F.C._seasons

16-17: finish 3rd in league 1, miss out in the playoffs 
17-18: finish 5th in league 1, miss out in the playoffs 

18-19: instant crash and burn, relegation. 
19-20: no instant rebound, crash and burn continues, finish just above the relegation zone in 20th. 
20-21: things get worse, and they just scrape survival in 22nd.

21-22: finally relegated in last place

22-23: back to back relations

what went on there then? I’m interested, as it seems like there’s a cautionary tale to be learnt there. 

A guy called Peter Swann happened. Scunny were spending well over 100% of their turnover on player wages alone in those play off seasons. He gambled on promotion and when that wasn't achieved the league sanctioned the club for the overspend, leading to an exodus of players including Duane Holmes (what's the saying about rats and sinking ships?). Scunthorpe have been dealing with the consequences of that overspend ever since, Swann sold Glanford Park to his own company to write off some of the debt (sound familiar?). He also had some pretty insane plans before the poo hit the fan, like wanting to build a new 12000 seater stadium for a club with an average attendance of 4000 when the current ground is only 40 years old.

Edited by Anon