The offside rule

Loughborough Ram

It used to be a standing joke that women couldn't understand the offside rule.

I now believe that there are only a handful of people in the world that could actually explain it, so that it makes sense to the rest of us.

It seems like it's been complicated to such a degree that referees can pretty much make a decision up on the spot, and nobody can dispute it.

I used to run the line for my son's team and I genuinely wonder how on earth, that would be possible under todays various complications of the law.

29 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

It seems like it's been complicated to such a degree that referees can pretty much make a decision up on the spot, and nobody can dispute it.

Yep. You have to ask why it's become more complicated. Take some of the rules away and go back to basics, with the aim of why the game needs 'offside' in mind.

Offside should be offside. No 'not interfering with play' nonesense. I've always wondered why a forward can be deemed not intefering with play but a defender cannot, i.e. if a defender is across the opposite side of the pitch and would not be able to get across in time to make a challenge, then he should be deemed not interfering with play and therefore it's offside?

All the current rule does is add another layer of subjectivity to offside decisions.

Beats me!  ?‍♂️

skysports-rashford-alexander-arnold_6024

EDIT:
There's a vid on Sky Sports comparing the allowed goal for utd, and Liverpool not even allowed to get as far as shooting, despite nobody touching the ball.

Can't embed video or even add a link!  ?

Edited by Mucker1884

10 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Offside should be offside. No 'not interfering with play' nonesense. I've always wondered why a forward can be deemed not intefering with play but a defender cannot, i.e. if a defender is across the opposite side of the pitch and would not be able to get across in time to make a challenge, then he should be deemed not interfering with play and therefore it's offside?

All the current rule does is add another layer of subjectivity to offside decisions.

I like that.  

Not something I'd considered before, but a very good point.  

"If a player is not interfering with play, then they shouldn't be on the pitch"  to paraphrase one former esteemed Quarndon resident.