Are we on track? 2022/23

DerbyRevolution

What is the current state of play on the season's aspirations?

Hopefully we can can adapt to how Warne wants us to play in the coming months and we start to go on some 4 or 5 game winning runs in the second half of the season, I would take that if we can see progression and consistency in performances.

Is an automatic promotion push still likely? Unfortunately I don't see it now. We're 13 points off the top 2 with a couple of games in hand but we haven't played any of the current top 8 away from home yet. We'd have to go on a Jim Smith style run now to get close but I fear come 5pm after Portsmouth away the gap may be even wider.

I see the Play Offs now as a realistic target and even that is not a nailed on certainty.

After Saturday it also got me thinking, is this season right for us to go up? Would an extra season building be more beneficial? There's probably a reason it normally takes us 2 or 3 seasons to get out of this division, this time may be no different.

We need to show gress.

I'll explain. When i started work many years ago an old head said to me, where are we up with the project ? I said same as last week, it hasn't moved an inch. He said, listen lad, management want to see gress, that is progress or regress, but preferably the former. If we tell them nothing has moved they'll be asking questions and think we've done fack all, all week.

Warne knows how to get out of this league, it may not be very pretty but he's shown it works. Assuming the players get it, you are right, we've got enough to compete for top 6. If they don't get it, it could the wrong kind of gress before he gets the personnel to turn it around.

2 hours ago, DerbyRevolution said:

What is the current state of play on the season's aspirations?

Our club is still alive.  We are competing at the level I expected/hoped for (ie we have not been relegated a few divisions further down as additional punishment), and I get to watch my team on a regular basis.

Bang on, so far! ? ?

5 hours ago, DerbyRevolution said:

Is an automatic promotion push still likely? Unfortunately I don't see it now. We're 13 points off the top 2 with a couple of games in hand but we haven't played any of the current top 8 away from home yet. We'd have to go on a Jim Smith style run now to get close but I fear come 5pm after Portsmouth away the gap may be even wider.

I see the Play Offs now as a realistic target and even that is not a nailed on certainty.

After Saturday it also got me thinking, is this season right for us to go up? Would an extra season building be more beneficial? There's probably a reason it normally takes us 2 or 3 seasons to get out of this division, this time may be no different.

When you say you don't think automatic promotion is likely now that infers at the start of the season you did think it was possible.

What did you base this opinion on and what's changed for you to revise it?

56 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

When you say you don't think automatic promotion is likely now that infers at the start of the season you did think it was possible.

What did you base this opinion on and what's changed for you to revise it?

I’m not sure really, I hadn’t really thought about what made me think it was possible.

I guess it started with the signings, the opening day win against Oxford, the performance at Charlton. The opening few home results, Barnsley and Peterborough wins. 

Im not saying it’s out the question I think now i’m just mentally preparing for it not to happen, trying not to get the hopes up. What’s changed is I didn’t expect Clowes to change the manager, we’ve lose twice at home when winning and been so poor away up until Cambridge. Plymouth and Ipswich look really decent sides. 

I now feel like Warne is playing catch up mainly from the poor away form and the games in hand which makes some of the upcoming games like Ipswich and Portsmouth away much bigger for us than them. 

I’m in the Warne over Rosenior camp, but it could take time for that to come to fruition. 

Rome wasn’t built in a day. Think back to what Nigel Clough built. His foundations lasted for 6 seasons after he was sacked. Have faith & patience. Paul Warne and team have what it takes - it won’t be instant but it will happen. Have faith - I think we will see exponential growth around February 2023. I predict Jake Rooney will blossom this year & with one or two smart additions and the consolidation of a real team ethos & culture, we’ll finish this season very strongly. Fans need to keep supporting and keeping the bonds strong. It will happen. 

7 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

I’m not sure really, I hadn’t really thought about what made me think it was possible.

I guess it started with the signings, the opening day win against Oxford, the performance at Charlton. The opening few home results, Barnsley and Peterborough wins. 

Im not saying it’s out the question I think now i’m just mentally preparing for it not to happen, trying not to get the hopes up. What’s changed is I didn’t expect Clowes to change the manager, we’ve lose twice at home when winning and been so poor away up until Cambridge. Plymouth and Ipswich look really decent sides. 

I now feel like Warne is playing catch up mainly from the poor away form and the games in hand which makes some of the upcoming games like Ipswich and Portsmouth away much bigger for us than them. 

I’m in the Warne over Rosenior camp, but it could take time for that to come to fruition. 

The standard of football is better than I anticipated from some teams and is just as turgid as I thought from others .  Potentially, we have are a couple of enforcers away from being good at both.  Not sure the new manager will allow that though as he's used to managing a certain type of player of a certain standard and looks in no rush to change that blueprint. I anticipated another relegation battle prior to Clowes buyout, an 8-12 place finish when we started bringing a few in and a playoff finish when we signed some more and kept hold of Knight and others.  Anything less than a 6th place would be a failure I feel.  League 1 is now basically a league with 8 sides i'd expect to find in the bottom half of the championship with quite a few staying up.  Think we are about that level at the minute.  We're mid table due to one shocking ref and a number of individual errors.