Ball Retention Team aka Ballboys

rammieib

5 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

At other clubs they are considered part of the wider team and drilled.......winning: sit on your stool.......losing: ball back in play and pronto

Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Better solution would just be to have 60 mins in play and stop the clock literally every time the ball goes dead for throws, corners, freekicks, fouls, injuries, subs, dog on pitch, the lot.

Not sure why they don't do this as it would remove the time-wasting blight from our game in an instant.

I don"t know if you went to the Fleetwood game but the lad with the hair like Marc Bolan sat on his stool while the ball dribbled past him and the cheeky little sod just put a thumbs up to one of our players when he had to retrieve it himself, and they were only drawing

17 hours ago, glyn1957 said:

I don"t know if you went to the Fleetwood game but the lad with the hair like Marc Bolan sat on his stool while the ball dribbled past him and the cheeky little sod just put a thumbs up to one of our players when he had to retrieve it himself, and they were only drawing

Must be one of the Children of the Revolution, and not easily fooled.

This topic comes up every season without fail.

Half the forum is never that fussed and see the ballboys as a nice experience for local kids to have.

The other half including me think we should get ballboys that understand the game and aren't scared to incorporate poohouse tactics to help us get the result. 

Either way Derby as a club seem to promote option 1 as their preferred way of looking at things so no point focussing too much energy on this topic. 

I imagine this topic will raise its head again next season, so see you then. 

On 09/10/2022 at 18:43, Heisenberg said:

They are incredibly slow to retrieve the ball we’re in a losing position and it’s quickly needed. 

Was quite noticeable yesterday.

Especially when Rammie had to end up kicking it back to their goalkeeper with it rolling all but 1 yard!

We could really do with 13/14 year olds who are able to read the tempo of the game instead of small children.

Rammies efforts were pathetic when we was chasing the game...

I was there and saw that. I`ve often thought that the ones we use are far too young and dont really understand whats going on.

For me, we should use the DCFC U14/15/!6s as part of their education in football. It would give them an insight into the pace of the game, the atmosphere to expect and the intensity of the game and crowd.

Again, give them instructions such as "If we are losing, get the ball as quickly as possible", "If we are winning, snails pace"

39 minutes ago, Betty Swollocks said:

I was there and saw that. I`ve often thought that the ones we use are far too young and dont really understand whats going on.

For me, we should use the DCFC U14/15/!6s as part of their education in football. It would give them an insight into the pace of the game, the atmosphere to expect and the intensity of the game and crowd.

Again, give them instructions such as "If we are losing, get the ball as quickly as possible", "If we are winning, snails pace"

Agree wholeheartedly. It should be part of the academy function and a prized role where you do everything in your power to assist the first team on the day, while getting used to what it's like down on the pitch in front of a large baying crowd.