Officially getting old... and...

Mucker1884

8 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

Well I would have to factor in depreciation which I think is the main cost. Cost of two bikes at the top end is more than I paid for my second hand car. And could you really do 10 miles a year like I do with my car?

How long will these things last? The risk of them being nicked is quite  high I think so if you don't have insurance you would probably need to replace at some stage due to theft. 

Depreciation is a good point well made. ?

They’ll last as long as they are looked after well. 2 Yr warranty on electric motor & battery. 5 year for the rest. I’d like to think we’ll still have them in 5 years… unless we part-ex for newer models! 
Insurance and security is key, I agree. There’s only so much we can do on that score, and keep our fingers crossed!  

I guess it’s like anything else… hobbies and interests cost, and folk make their savings elsewhere, as do we.

??

Been considering them things for a couple of years, mainly because abroad they all seem to have them.

I've got past the 'it's cheating' stage but the expense has put me off, that and being able to put them on a bike carrier for transportation, the weight must make you do wheelies in the car?

We had no problems riding 30km on normal bikes round Lake Annecy this year so definitely going to take my time on getting one.

Tempting though, especially as we walk up hills, too much effort to cycle them.

8 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Been considering them things for a couple of years, mainly because abroad they all seem to have them.

I've got past the 'it's cheating' stage but the expense has put me off, that and being able to put them on a bike carrier for transportation, the weight must make you do wheelies in the car?

We had no problems riding 30km on normal bikes round Lake Annecy this year so definitely going to take my time on getting one.

Tempting though, especially as we walk up hills, too much effort to cycle them.

Thule Euro summat-or-other bought in 2014, so some spec is from memory (So marked with a * below).  (2 bikes.  c/w tilting platform, for tailgate access)  I've already struggled to confirm precisely what model I've got, and remind me of it's definitive spec... so I'm winging it!?

70 plate Ford Galaxy heavy 7 seater... with absolutely no room for kids or dogs... but chockerblock with camping equipment... oh and a roof box... ditto! ?

Bikes (without batteries/pannier bags etc) weigh 24.7kg x 2 = 49.4kg
*Cycle carrier itself weighs 18kg
Total weight on tow ball = c. 68kg
Tow ball limit = 90kg = ?
*Bike Carrier limit = 31kg per single bike, or max 55kg in total, so only just a ? (by 5kg?)

Lake Annecy is very high on our bucket list... thus far delayed until we "get electric bikes in a few years time, due to the surrounding hills".  Sane goes for Alsace).
That delay may well now end a few (3 or 4?) years sooner than we thought!  ?? 

On 09/10/2022 at 21:30, PistoldPete said:

Well I would have to factor in depreciation which I think is the main cost. Cost of two bikes at the top end is more than I paid for my second hand car. And could you really do 10 miles a year like I do with my car?

How long will these things last? The risk of them being nicked is quite  high I think so if you don't have insurance you would probably need to replace at some stage due to theft. 

I think @Mucker1884 and muckerette could probably do 10 miles a year, according to what he’s said. Though whether it’s wise to believe everything you read on t’internet is a good point.  Well done on the low mileage though. You might want to think about getting a bike.

On 11/10/2022 at 18:36, Mucker1884 said:

Thule Euro summat-or-other bought in 2014, so some spec is from memory (So marked with a * below).  (2 bikes.  c/w tilting platform, for tailgate access)  I've already struggled to confirm precisely what model I've got, and remind me of it's definitive spec... so I'm winging it!?

70 plate Ford Galaxy heavy 7 seater... with absolutely no room for kids or dogs... but chockerblock with camping equipment... oh and a roof box... ditto! ?

Bikes (without batteries/pannier bags etc) weigh 24.7kg x 2 = 49.4kg
*Cycle carrier itself weighs 18kg
Total weight on tow ball = c. 68kg
Tow ball limit = 90kg = ?
*Bike Carrier limit = 31kg per single bike, or max 55kg in total, so only just a ? (by 5kg?)

Lake Annecy is very high on our bucket list... thus far delayed until we "get electric bikes in a few years time, due to the surrounding hills".  Sane goes for Alsace).
That delay may well now end a few (3 or 4?) years sooner than we thought!  ?? 

Yeah, have a Thule 2 bike carrier but changed to a newer CMax so need to get a towbar fitted to that. Will check the box for stats.

Also, camping, we managed to put the 2 bikes inside the car along with all the camping equipment, bit of a squeeze but it worked!

As for Annecy, the bike path that goes round is mostly flat apart from a small bit on the eastern side. 

We stayed here, https://www.campinglesolitaire.com/ and would thoroughly recommend it, direct access to the lake which is quite warm. 

As always, depends on the pitch you get, ours had a view over a field that sometimes had cows with their bells on, like the Swiss.

And you can get to Geneva and Mont Blanc/Chamonix pretty easily, should you so wish.

As for Alsace, we went there in 2019, a little village near Colmar called Eguisheim. Small site but again, very nice and another beautiful part of France. Might check out some parts of Germany next, have only done Heidelberg (Hirschhorn) so far.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/10/2022 at 09:36, David said:

Have you thought about something a little less embarrassing like a mobility scooter?

I can't wait to get mine. Can even get covers on so the seat doesn't get wet whilst you're in the pub.

I heard your battery went flat outside the pub and you had to walk home?

Any truth in it?