Do we need to work on set peaces

B4ev6is

"One Reddit user analysed 115,199 corners taken in 11,234 matches to see how much use they were. From those, 1,459 goals were from a corner. This meant an average of 4.74 per cent of goals were scored in some way or another from corners, but just 1.27% of corners led directly to a goal."

https://sqaf.club/goals-from-corners-stats/#:~:text=This meant an average of,led directly to a goal.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

It’s heading in general. Watch the teams we play against. They not only win headers, they direct them to team mates. We seem to put all our effort into heading it hard and it goes straight to the opposition.

That’s been the case for a while.

We should try getting bodies to the near post for a flick on. Can’t see any of the current team winning headers from a long ball.

Totally agree. I used to comment about Bielik that he was the one player in our squad that actually put any thought into his headers - he’d often knock it towards a team mate who was in a position to start a counter attack. It’s a very basic thing, but it was so important to us as a team, and no one else seems capable of it. You compare to Stearman, god bless him he tries, but duck me he really doesn’t put any thought into his headers - his job is done when he wins the ball in his mind, no matter where it ends up next.

I’ve also thought that the set up from our corners could be an issue too. Even when we get a good delivery in, there’s never anyone on the end of it. You look at where players are stood before a corner is delivered, and you never think “he’s gonna score here”, we’re far too easy to defend against.

10 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

But seriously we need a load of different options. So in recent seasons I’ve not seen us try that one Spurs (Kane) scored with on Saturday. When Given was with us our set pieces were excellent. We are just SO STATIC 

Matt Clarke was good at corners. Unfortunately he has a square head and the bounced off anywhere but on target

11 hours ago, DerbyRevolution said:

Is there anything technical in the fact that a corner is easier to head away from goal than towards it? The angle or starting positions? 

The percentage of headers won by defenders from corners must be above 90% 

Or is it simply a desire thing? 

Only 3% of corners end up in a goal. Being good at them is a marginal gain - perhaps it might add the odd point, or change your GD, but if you’re looking to add goals there’s much lower hanging fruit.

It’s strange we get so excited about corners in England when only about 1 in 30+ result in a goal. 

33 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Only 3% of corners end up in a goal. Being good at them is a marginal gain - perhaps it might add the odd point, or change your GD, but if you’re looking to add goals there’s much lower hanging fruit.

It’s strange we get so excited about corners in England when only about 1 in 30+ result in a goal. 

I raised this a while ago. The only outlier statistically was WBA a few seasons ago when they had a 10% score rate, but ironically fairly few corners to start with.

This pessimism over our scoring is ridiculous. We had 40 is shots in the last few games. I remember watching whole matches where we only have 2 or 3 in the entire game. Sooner or later they will start to go in.