Finance thread 2022.

Rev

31 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

And could cost even less

Yep, if employers paid a living wage. Let's not forget that things such as Working Tax Credit were invented to top up the wages of the lowest paid, and therefore remove that obligation from employers. It's crazy that it even exists as a concept

But as already stated, the game of "capitalism" involves paying your employees the least amount you can get away with. 

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

Because it's derogatory it's rooted in jealousy? Blimey, what a simplistic world view.

Yep, crying because others have more than them so use derogatory names, not really rocket science it comes from jealousy is it? Blimey, how complicated do you want it. 

3 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Yep, if employers paid a living wage. Let's not forget that things such as Working Tax Credit were invented to top up the wages of the lowest paid, and therefore remove that obligation from employers. It's crazy that it even exists as a concept

But as already stated, the game of "capitalism" involves paying your employees the least amount you can get away with. 

and imagine those sitting at home not working topping up their benefits with a wage, there’s a concept for you. 

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

Yes, of course. - only you are allowed to be derogatory.

We’re all allowed just don’t deny it when it’s done 

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Not really. You're talking absolute toss and I'm laughing at you for it.

How sad for you. Not really tosh is it, different opinion to you but not tosh. So you’re alright with people living of the state not working or contributing and happy for people doing ok for themselves getting half their salary taken from them? 

3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

How sad for you. Not really tosh is it, different opinion to you but not tosh. So you’re alright with people living of the state not working or contributing and happy for people doing ok for themselves getting half their salary taken from them? 

I'm so glad you are here to tell me what I'm happy with. Of course I'm not surprised. Your contributions to this thread are littered with assumptions that you can't possibly show are true. Not least the bit about people having half their salary taken from them.

What is the cost of people 'living off the state'?

22 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Because it's derogatory it's rooted in jealousy? Blimey, what a simplistic world view.

So It's not simplistic to describe someone who works for a bank as a spiv? And what would motivate someone to use such a term if not some form of resentment, most probably jealousy?  

1 minute ago, PistoldPete said:

So It's not simplistic to describe someone who works for a bank as a spiv? And what would motivate someone to use such a term if not some form of resentment, most probably jealousy?  

You'd have to ask the person who used the word. Though I will say that resentment is not jealousy. It's quite possible to find something distasteful without wanting to be it.

12 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I'm so glad you are here to tell me what I'm happy with. Of course I'm not surprised. Your contributions to this thread are littered with assumptions that you can't possibly show are true. Not least the bit about people having half their salary taken from them.

What is the cost of people 'living off the state'?

The marginal rate of tax for people earning between £100k and £125k is 61.5%, due to them having their personal allowances taken away. So yes it's not true that people have half their salary taken away.. its actually more than that for earnings in that band.

I don't earn that amount, but on a purely objective basis I think that is too high a marginal rate of tax for anyone at any income level. 

15 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You'd have to ask the person who used the word. Though I will say that resentment is not jealousy. It's quite possible to find something distasteful without wanting to be it.

Well I should say I know people who work in banks, who worked 80 to 90 hours a week in the City. I certainly would not want that but neither would i begrudge them the money they earned. They certainly are not spivs. 

Money saving tip of the day number two:

Save a fortune in commuting costs and income tax by getting sacked from your job to enjoy a wonderful life on the dole.

Not only will get to watch This Morning everyday like all those bloody middle class home office b*******, but you can even save up your massive £2002 per year "salary" (assuming you eat, drink, wash and sleep for free) and in just 50 years you'll have enough money to buy a one bedroom flat. Assuming your payment doesn't get stopped after 6 months that is.

6 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

The marginal rate of tax for people earning between £100k and £125k is 61.5%, due to them having their personal allowances taken away. So yes it's not true that people have half their salary taken away.. its actually more than that for earnings in that band.

I don't earn that amount, but on a purely objective basis I think that is too high a marginal rate of tax for anyone at any income level. 

Except it's not. You have to earn over £100,000 to get to that point and that 100k is taxed in the normal way. They don't tax it all at 60%

I never realy knew what the term spiv means so looked it up: "a man, typically a flashy dresser, who makes a living by disreputable dealings."

I think this is an accurate term for the sort of bankers whose actions resulted in the financial crash in 2008. This government wants to uncap bonuses, something that was put in place to reduce the level of gambling bankers did. Well, I say gambling, but that implies they can lose as well as win big. The government also wants to reduce the tax on these new uncapped bonuses.

Is this the growth plan? Encourage higher stakes gambling by uncapping bonuses and giving tax cuts, in the hope that the bankers win big and we end up with more tax? Sounds like a pretty rubbish plan, even though I'm consumed with jealously, which is the real reason I'm against it.