F1 2022

RadioactiveWaste

7 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I hope you're right but what I expect to see is CL and MV finishing @30 seconds ahead Mercs. If Sainz and Checo are even vaguely on it, there goes your podium right there. The Merc has straight line speed for sure, but it's still horrible through the slower corners hence my belief that the drivers are happy mostly because they're not getting shaken to pieces. Of course this yields benefits, but they're still half a second off the pace and you'd better believe that Ferrari and RB will be bringing upgrades themselves.

Interestingly, the speed traps kind of confirm both our schools of thought; Hamilton was actually 2nd fastest behind Leclerc on the speed gun through practice, but GPs aren't run around ovals and the W13's optimal window is so small I can't see Merc being in the hunt for podiums consistently even if they might compete on the circuits that lend themselves to the Mercs strengths. Checo seems a little inconsistent and can't live with MV anyway and Sainz's head is gone for the moment and therein lies the only real hope IMO. Even Toto called the W13 a 'complete diva' and he wasn't just talking about the porpoising.

Bear in mind also that RB are most likely not runnning their engines as hard as they can given their reliability woes. If Verstappen finishes, he wins and that's a sobering thought for everyone bar Karen. Let's be honest, powertrains can be tweaked to garner a few extra KPH relatively simply, but the Mercs behaviour through the slower sections of these tracks is a far tougher conundrum to solve. The truth is that this has been the case for several of the last few seasons but the Merc hybrid units were so far ahead of the competition in terms of raw power that they could paper over the cracks. And sure, the Merc drivers could have improved their laps but how many of the other drivers would say the same thing. Verstappen would, I'm sure and even Leclerc said he'd had a mid-lap wobble and look at the time he put down. 

Anyway, I think I'm talking down their chances partly because I'd like to see them prove me wrong so I'll STFU and hope they do just that tomorrow. As it is, Hamilton has to start the race better. He can't keep giving up places to George and expect preferential treatment in the race. He's still the faster driver in race trim but he has to show it. What I expect though, is Verstappen to hunt down Leclerc and close the gap further, with Checo pestering Sainz for P3. Sadly, I don't see Merc challenging until the last half dozen or so races, if at all.

Entirely possible that Leclerc and Verstappen will be someway in front, Sainz and Checo are certainly catchable for a third position though. Whilst the RB and Ferrari is still a bit faster, I think it's close enough that driver skill comes into play and I think both Merc drivers are better than these two, so I can see it being realistic, if by no means guaranteed they can get a podium today. 

The thing is with Ferrari, is whilst they've built a good car, they've done this before and not managed to keep up with the development race. Those years that Vettel was competing a few times they started the season in the quickest car before falling away. RB though will continue to make the car better without a doubt. For me, they have to be favourites to win both trophies. 

I'm not sure RB are running their engines at a lower setting, Ferrari still has enough pace if they were to do that, you would expect they would be a way behind. 

Valid point on the lap times, I suspect Sainz could have been catchable for both Russell and Hamilton had done a tad more on their laps, but the top two were likely always going to be just that. 

Will be interesting to see if Mercedes roll the dice on tyre strategies on one of their drivers and mix it up to play for advantage. They played a blinder in Miami, though it was a bit of a free hit as Russell was so far back. 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Entirely possible that Leclerc and Verstappen will be someway in front, Sainz and Checo are certainly catchable for a third position though. Whilst the RB and Ferrari is still a bit faster, I think it's close enough that driver skill comes into play and I think both Merc drivers are better than these two, so I can see it being realistic, if by no means guaranteed they can get a podium today. 

The thing is with Ferrari, is whilst they've built a good car, they've done this before and not managed to keep up with the development race. Those years that Vettel was competing a few times they started the season in the quickest car before falling away. RB though will continue to make the car better without a doubt. For me, they have to be favourites to win both trophies. 

I'm not sure RB are running their engines at a lower setting, Ferrari still has enough pace if they were to do that, you would expect they would be a way behind. 

Valid point on the lap times, I suspect Sainz could have been catchable for both Russell and Hamilton had done a tad more on their laps, but the top two were likely always going to be just that. 

Will be interesting to see if Mercedes roll the dice on tyre strategies on one of their drivers and mix it up to play for advantage. They played a blinder in Miami, though it was a bit of a free hit as Russell was so far back. 

I do think Perez looks doable for the mercs if he's having an off day if i'm honest but I think Sainz is having a home crowd weekend and will do good.

C'mon red bull power trains, pull out another blinder.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I do think Perez looks doable for the mercs if he's having an off day if i'm honest but I think Sainz is having a home crowd weekend and will do good.

C'mon red bull power trains, pull out another blinder.

Seeing how Sainz has done with pressure this season, it might be more of a hinderance than a help! 

51 minutes ago, Andicis said:

We'll see young'un ?

And I think this proves I know as much about F1 as I do about football.

Kinda gutted for Checo. I think Max would've got past him anyway, but being ordered not to fight it must sting.

Hamilton driver of the day by far.

Latifi keeping up his "walls anoynimous" good to see.

Points for Yuki ?

Good job by Alpine, unlucky on strategy for Bottas.

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

And I think this proves I know as much about F1 as I do about football.

Kinda gutted for Checo. I think Max would've got past him anyway, but being ordered not to fight it must sting.

Hamilton driver of the day by far.

Latifi keeping up his "walls anoynimous" good to see.

Points for Yuki ?

Good job by Alpine, unlucky on strategy for Bottas.

Russell in with a shout for driver of the day too. Both Mercedes drivers were excellent today.

I genuinely think Hamilton might have been able to push Perez with his pace today, had a brilliant drive. Hugely unlucky from the lap 1 incident, could have been a different race for Mercedes otherwise. 

Have to feel for Leclerc, he was cruising to an easy victory. 

I hate that Perez was team ordered. Verstappen could have got past him authentically if they'd been allowed to race. 

Conundrum solved. Start Hamilton from the pits and watch him fly.

Poor Charles Leclerc. Disappearing into the wild blue yonder but I suppose MV's had his car troubles too. Sainz's head is completely gone. Not for the visit to the beach but for the incredibly timid drive thereafter. Giving up 20 seconds to Hamilton net of his trip to the gravel is inexcusable in a car that quick. Leclerc is destroying him right now.

George with another very calm and intelligent drive so it's odd that despite an arguably fortunate podium, he's been overshadowed by a teammate who was at one point over 30 seconds behind the field. Lewis super racy today and Driver of the Day by a stretch. There's life in the old dog yet.

Sadly, Karen will be delighted to see Verstappen disappear off the front despite his DRS woes. If RB sort their reliability issues, I fear they will wrap up the WDC and WCC without too much fuss. Leclerc will suffer for having no wingman. Funny to hear MV congratulating the same team he was ffing and blinding at not long before. He really is an entitled little t*** who needs to work with his engineers not against them. Perhaps the Leclerc DNF will provide him with some much needed perspective.

Finally, a decent step forward for Mercedes but despite that, still 3rd best car in the field. As the commentators said though, it's a platform to work from so they'll probably be very pleased given recent travails.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Why has Verstappen got so many fans? 

I can't find anything likable about him

The entire Netherlands?

Red bull racing fans?

Lewis haters?

I'm still relatively convinced at some point he'll leave red bull and suddenly everyone is going to think "Max, sound lad" because I remember how annoying vettel was in his red bull days.

4 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

The entire Netherlands?

Red bull racing fans?

Lewis haters?

I'm still relatively convinced at some point he'll leave red bull and suddenly everyone is going to think "Max, sound lad" because I remember how annoying vettel was in his red bull days.

Netherlands is a big sporting nation but they've not had much to cheer in recent years. Their GT cyclists mysteriously fell off a cliff when juicing became frowned upon and their football team is bang average with Cruff, Bergkamp and van Basten just distant memories. All they're good at these days is showjumping and they're too embarrassed to support a bunch of toffs larking about on million pound horses. Let's be honest, even their weed is gash these days.

Sadly, that just leaves Little Mr Angry and his gobby dad as sources of national sporting pride even though Jos was shyte and Angry was born in Belgium. Perhaps they need to promote a competitive tulip growing league, or stage competitions to see who can pump the most water into a chicken breast without getting rumbled? 

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

Why has Verstappen got so many fans? 

I can't find anything likable about him

Genuinely no clue. Talented driver, but an utter arse of a bloke. People have had all sorts to say about Lewis over the years, but Lewis even in his most frustrating races has never been so vile to his own team as Max is every single race. 

13 hours ago, Andicis said:

Genuinely no clue. Talented driver, but an utter arse of a bloke. People have had all sorts to say about Lewis over the years, but Lewis even in his most frustrating races has never been so vile to his own team as Max is every single race. 

Slightly controversial opinion perhaps, but along with his absolute knobber of a dad, Marko and Horner helped craft and fashion the monster. They've only themselves to blame.

I'm cheekily looking forward to the day when it all comes full circle and he nuts his dad live on Sky F1.

47 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Slightly controversial opinion perhaps, but along with his absolute knobber of a dad, Marko and Horner helped craft and fashion the monster. They've only themselves to blame.

I'm cheekily looking forward to the day when it all comes full circle and he nuts his dad live on Sky F1.

There's defto something about his dad. Seems bitter he didn't get a better shot at it himself.

15 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

There's defto something about his dad. Seems bitter he didn't get a better shot at it himself.

In all seriousness, I do actually feel a little for Max as with a father like Jos, he's really not had the kind of influences that might have led to a more grounded character. Jos was a spoon as a racer and has proved even worse as a dad. I get tired of his 'i made so many sacrifices' BS as he's done it for vicarious glory, not more noble reasons.