Derbyshire CCC - Mickey Arthur Appointed

Mihangel

To put a bit of perspective on things…

This was the first time we've won 5 games(we won 6) in the one day cup since 2011, when it was 40 overs each and you played 12 games in the group stage.

After the Cheshire game I was genuinely worried we wouldn't win a game. It was a good effort, just a shame we didn't quite do enough.

Hopefully we have some confidence going back to the red ball. Just win one game please 🤞😂

17 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

To put a bit of perspective on things…

This was the first time we've won 5 games(we won 6) in the one day cup since 2011, when it was 40 overs each and you played 12 games in the group stage.

After the Cheshire game I was genuinely worried we wouldn't win a game. It was a good effort, just a shame we didn't quite do enough.

Hopefully we have some confidence going back to the red ball. Just win one game please 🤞😂

Yep, at least we have now become competitive 😊

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Yep, at least we have now become competitive 😊

This is the way I look at it. Just spent the last hour arguing with some bloke who was moaning because we should have knocked the runs off in 30 overs, for him to then reveal he never watched the game and didn't know how the pitch played 🤦‍♂️

Anyway, with Andersson already in, if we can get a good overseas batter and a spinner. I'll go into next season very optimistic….probably to be let down again, but still 👀🤣

12 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

This is the way I look at it. Just spent the last hour arguing with some bloke who was moaning because we should have knocked the runs off in 30 overs, for him to then reveal he never watched the game and didn't know how the pitch played 🤦‍♂️

Anyway, with Andersson already in, if we can get a good overseas batter and a spinner. I'll go into next season very optimistic….probably to be let down again, but still 👀🤣

I remain so every year. We have certainly been competitive in the shorter forms of the game, and I am delighted that we appear to have some wonderful young talent threatening to break through.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I remain so every year. We have certainly been competitive in the shorter forms of the game, and I am delighted that we appear to have some wonderful young talent threatening to break through.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The Durham comms team (that seemed to be about 8 strong) were waxing lyrical over Harry Moore. Will be interesting to see if he plays in the championship.

Ending the red ball winless streak (the one at home would be even better) is all I want from the rest of the season 🤞

Just now, jimbo jones said:

The Durham comms team (that seemed to be about 8 strong) were waxing lyrical over Harry Moore. Will be interesting to see if he plays in the championship.

Ending the red ball winless streak (the one at home would be even better) is all I want from the rest of the season 🤞

I was thinking last week that it was all perhaps a bit too much too soon for Harry, and that he was looking just a tad jaded, but he roared back today. At just 17 years of age, he mustn't be rushed, but he seems to have a sound head on his shoulders. My first thought on him playing in the championship is that it's a big step up as far as the number of overs he might be expected to bowl in a day, so very careful management may be required.

5 and 3. I would have taken that at the start of the campaign. For every thrashing like Hampshire, there are wins and performances we take for granted.

As Jimbo says, one red ball win for the rest of the year, then as it looks like Arthur is staying, he learns from his mistakes (overseas players mainly) and we go into next season with optimism (Again).

Been looking at the stats from the one day cup.

Batting averages

Dal - 56.00

Chappell - 48.50

Came - 46.83

Moore - 41.50

Guest - 39.50

Reece - 39.14

Lloyd - 31.00

Patel 14.40

Lamb 7.00

Bowling wickets and averages

Chappell - 17 at 21.41

Brown - 6 at 21.50

Moore - 10 at 28.50

Patel - 11 at 30.81

DuPavillon - 6 at 31.16

Wagstaff - 2 at 40.00

Conners - 4 at 69.00

a wicket each for Reece and Dal at over 100

Noticable things.

The Harry Moore breakthrough that was hoped for materialized 😄

Zak Chappell has been a great signing an should now be considered and all-rounder.

Dal and Came got the only centuries, 2 isn't enough really and is why others averages are a bit low.

Lloyd’s average is a bit disappointing. He got himself out too many times with a silly shot when he was looking set for a big score.

Samit doesn't look like a top order batter anymore and the competition was a disaster for Matt Lamb. I fear with his injury problems he will find himself out of the game next year.

Pat Brown was very good when we actually had, but Sam Conners despite bowling as well as I’ve seen for a while didn't have much to show for it. I suspect he will be at a new county next season.

The lack of the of an overseas presence apart from DuPavillon who only played half the games (and was good rather than great) is a major talking point. Teams brought players in as late as yesterday morning but we either didn't want to or couldn't.

Edited by jimbo jones

4 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Been looking at the stats from the one day cup.

Batting averages

Dal - 56.00

Chappell - 48.50

Came - 46.83

Moore - 41.50

Guest - 39.50

Reece - 39.14

Lloyd - 31.00

Patel 14.40

Lamb 7.00

Bowling wickets and averages

Chappell - 17 at 21.41

Brown - 6 at 21.50

Moore - 10 at 28.50

Patel - 11 at 30.81

DuPavillon - 6 at 31.16

Wagstaff - 2 at 40.00

Conners - 4 at 69.00

a wicket each for Reece and Dal at over 100

Noticable things.

The Harry Moore breakthrough that was hoped for materialized 😄

Zak Chappell has been a great signing an should now be considered and all-rounder.

Dal and Came got the only centuries, 2 isn't enough really and is why others averages are a bit low.

Lloyd’s average is a bit disappointing. He got himself out too many times with a silly shot when he was looking set for a big score.

Samit doesn't look like a top order batter anymore and the competition was a disaster for Matt Lamb. I fear with his injury problems he will find himself out of the game next year.

Pat Brown was very good when we actually had, but Sam Conners despite bowling as well as I’ve seen for a while didn't have much to show for it. I suspect he will be at a new county next season.

The lack of the of an overseas presence apart from DuPavillon who only played half the games (and was good rather than great) is a major talking point. Teams brought players in as late as yesterday morning but we either didn't want to or couldn't.

Good post although on batting average, I also like to see the rate at which they score to go with it. I would like to see circa 100% for the  alternative and or the bowlers their runs against. Anything under 5 i am happy.

Ultimately if the opposition are 200, even 250 for zero after 50 overs, I am happy to chase that. (Assuming it isn't a Chesterfield pitch).

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Good post although on batting average, I also like to see the rate at which they score to go with it. I would like to see circa 100% for the  alternative and or the bowlers their runs against. Anything under 5 i am happy.

Ultimately if the opposition are 200, even 250 for zero after 50 overs, I am happy to chase that. (Assuming it isn't a Chesterfield pitch).

Under 5 an over in one day cricket….that’s going some 😊

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

You don’t have to ask me to look up stats twice 🤣

Batting strike rates 

Dal - 121.73

Chappell - 100.51

Moore - 102.46

Came - 70.07

Guest - 80.06

Reece - 77.62

Lloyd - 82.66

Patel - 62.06

Lamb - 49.12

Impressive from Dal. Chappell and Moore you expect to be batting at the end and scoring quickly. More evidence of Samit and Lambs struggles.

You probably want 1 or 2 of the top 4 scoring a bit quicker. A quick glance at the teams that did well and they tend to have a couple of batters batting at 100, Leicestershire had six and two more in the 90s.

Bowling economy rates

Chappell - 4.93

Brown - 5.60

Moore - 4.83

Patel - 4.86

DuPavillon - 6.44

Wagstaff - 4.70

Conners - 5.63

Reece - 7.84

Dal - 5.00

Pretty good really, DuPavillon the most expensive regular bowler. Can see why Reece didn’t bowl much. Very good from Wagstaff, believe he’s out of contract but I’d keep him around to see how his leg spin develops.

1 hour ago, jimbo jones said:

You don’t have to ask me to look up stats twice 🤣

Batting strike rates 

Dal - 121.73

Chappell - 100.51

Moore - 102.46

Came - 70.07

Guest - 80.06

Reece - 77.62

Lloyd - 82.66

Patel - 62.06

Lamb - 49.12

Impressive from Dal. Chappell and Moore you expect to be batting at the end and scoring quickly. More evidence of Samit and Lambs struggles.

You probably want 1 or 2 of the top 4 scoring a bit quicker. A quick glance at the teams that did well and they tend to have a couple of batters batting at 100, Leicestershire had six and two more in the 90s.

Bowling economy rates

Chappell - 4.93

Brown - 5.60

Moore - 4.83

Patel - 4.86

DuPavillon - 6.44

Wagstaff - 4.70

Conners - 5.63

Reece - 7.84

Dal - 5.00

Pretty good really, DuPavillon the most expensive regular bowler. Can see why Reece didn’t bowl much. Very good from Wagstaff, believe he’s out of contract but I’d keep him around to see how his leg spin develops.

Great work. Moore really will be class.

Chappell superb as well.

Dal - the classy century helped/ influenced the numbers.

Some decent players in the mix here, and coupled with some better overseas... For instance, we must have paid for Fletchers flights so why didn't we keep him longer? (unless we tried/not fit)

23 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Great work. Moore really will be class.

Chappell superb as well.

Dal - the classy century helped/ influenced the numbers.

Some decent players in the mix here, and coupled with some better overseas... For instance, we must have paid for Fletchers flights so why didn't we keep him longer? (unless we tried/not fit)

Fletcher had an injury but I don’t think there was ever a plan to keep him after the T20.

if we can add a good overseas top/middle order batter and a overseas spinner next season we will be in good shape. So important to get those 2 signings right this time after what’s been a bit of a debacle this year. 

13 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Fletcher had an injury but I don’t think there was ever a plan to keep him after the T20.

if we can add a good overseas top/middle order batter and a overseas spinner next season we will be in good shape. So important to get those 2 signings right this time after what’s been a bit of a debacle this year. 

Is the overseas spinner ‘that’ important?

I often feel it’s our batting which is always our biggest let down. 

Even in 20/20 - I appreciate what a Tahir or Amir or Khan do for us but they can only contribute four overs. A batter or two can do so much more (or less!) in a game.

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

Is the overseas spinner ‘that’ important?

I often feel it’s our batting which is always our biggest let down. 

Even in 20/20 - I appreciate what a Tahir or Amir or Khan do for us but they can only contribute four overs. A batter or two can do so much more (or less!) in a game.

My first thought is always the red ball team, and we are desperate for one there. A decent one that can also bat a bit would be good.

10 hours ago, rammieib said:

s the overseas spinner ‘that’ important?

Spin is absolutely vital in one-day competitions, although not necessarily overseas spinners. Where we have perhaps fallen short this season is when sides have been able to apply a 'squeeze', generally by bowling two twirlys in tandem. This becomes doubly important when new batters are at the crease - almost without anyone noticing, suddenly 10 overs have gone by for about 30 runs in no time at all.

No real problem with the majority of the seamers, but oh for a couple of decent spinners.

Equally - or even more so - in the longer form of the game. Decent spinners are matchwinners on day 3 or 4. The best balance we had in recent years featured Critchley and Qadri - they won us games.

Edited by Eddie