Derbyshire CCC - Mickey Arthur Appointed

Mihangel

2 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

It was joy to watch Holding and Bishop opening the bowling for Derbyshire. Michael was still different class even though he was at the end of his career and Bish excellent. Pity Bish suffered so many injuries. 

Sadly before my time, I have vague memories of Bishop at Derbyshire as a young kid but that's it.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Shame, one game too far. The two 27 run overs we conceded were killers. Beaten by the better side on the day so no complaints 😊

Santner was very very good.

Think we would of stood a better chance if we won the toss and batted first, du Plooy’s record with the toss is comically bad...think he's won one all season.

2 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Santner was very very good.

Think we would of stood a better chance if we won the toss and batted first, du Plooy’s record with the toss is comically bad...think he's won one all season.

Agree, I think we tend to panic a bit when chasing a very big total…

14 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Agree, I think we tend to panic a bit when chasing a very big total…

Yeah we rely so heavily on the top 5 batters, we seem to get stuck between going really hard at the start of the innings or keeping wickets in hand and end up not really doing either.

A look at the positives from this T20 campaign.

Zaman Khan was amazing for such a young inexperienced bowler. I really hope we see him here again.

Harry Came eventually got his chance and has nailed down a place as our opener in all formats now, at just 24 that's great news.

Brooke Guest probably had his best T20, showing he could hit boundaries at the end of the innings.

Chappell and Scrimshaw completed a fast bowler trio that all took 20+ wickets, which is impressive.

The negatives...Haider Ali probably didn't hit the heights we had hoped for. You could see the talent but needs to mature as a batsman to reach his potential, which I guess is why he’s here.

We didn't get enough out of our spin bowlers. Thomson was the best of the bunch when he finally got a chance.

Finally, is it the end for du Plooy? Losing him would be a huge blow.

Edited by jimbo jones

19 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

It was joy to watch Holding and Bishop opening the bowling for Derbyshire. Michael was still different class even though he was at the end of his career and Bish excellent. Pity Bish suffered so many injuries. 

Alan Ward, Mike Hendrick and the ever erratic Devon Malcolm.

England at Lords playing the West Indies, Mike Hendrick steaming in with his shirt bellowing behind him...an in swinging yorker to Viv Richards...boom a 6 😁

Devon's 9 wickets against against South Africa a joy to watch, When me and her were walking in the Eagle Centre market we saw DM, He stopped us and asked if we could just watch his baby Daughter as he need the toilet, We did he thanked us and went on his way.

Alan Ward...all foggy now...maybe Eddie has a few stories 👍  

54 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Alan Ward, Mike Hendrick and the ever erratic Devon Malcolm.

England at Lords playing the West Indies, Mike Hendrick steaming in with his shirt bellowing behind him...an in swinging yorker to Viv Richards...boom a 6 😁

Devon's 9 wickets against against South Africa a joy to watch, When me and her were walking in the Eagle Centre market we saw DM, He stopped us and asked if we could just watch his baby Daughter as he need the toilet, We did he thanked us and went on his way.

Alan Ward...all foggy now...maybe Eddie has a few stories 👍  

Not really stories. Wardy was lightning-quick, and was the perfect foil for Hendrick who was metronomic in line, length and accuracy. They were the next pair (great fast bowlers always hunt in pairs) after Harold Rhodes and Brian Jackson. I think Alan Ward averaged about 10 or 11 with the ball in his first season (68 I think), albeit a very short one for him because he only came in at the tail end of the season I think Derek Morgan was captain at the time, or it might have been Bucko. Ian Buxton was one of those old-school sportsmen - played football in the winter for The Rams and cricket for Derbyshire in the summer. Where the seasons overlapped at the start and the end he had a bit of a problem, of course, but I digress.

I honestly think that Alan Ward would have been the natural successor to John Snow in the England side (as Hendo was to Ken Higgs) but for the injuries which plagued him throughout his entire, brief career.