Reykjavik

Sith Happens

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drinks I'd say only marginally dearer than London. My Icelandic buddies would always try and ply me with this stuff:

image.png.4399ad466e634df6477d8188b5a66268.png

It's not even Icelandic, tastes foul and is basically rocket fuel so not for the feint hearted.

Food a lot tastier than some of it sounds, so if egg and chips is your thing, maybe Icelandic cuisine won't be. 

South Iceland has plenty of cool stuff to offer like Gljúfrabúi Waterfall. Fair old drive from Reykjavik though so depends how much time you have really. You'll have fun I'm sure, in any case. 

Went a few years ago on (someone else's) 50th birthday trip. One of the best things we did was small scale, with a father and son team who run Iceland Activities. Took us up a volcano in thick snow where they knew the warm springs and we could bathe and boil eggs in there! Fantastic day out with lovely people: http://www.icelandactivities.is/winter-tours/winter-hike-tour/15-winter-tours/hike-tours/30-winter-hotspring-mountain-circle

On 28/02/2021 at 11:52, Sith Happens said:

Been bought a trip to Iceland in January next year for my 50th birthday. 

Going for 4 nights, we have the night time trip for the northern lights included and golden circle tour booked but wondered what else is good to do if anyone has been.

Sure we will do the blue lagoon too.

Any info would be much appreciated. 

I'm hoping to do the same for my 50th in a couple of years, to tick off a couple of things from my bucket list (Northern lights & Volcano). I'd be very interested to know how you get on, mate.

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I'm hoping to do the same for my 50th in a couple of years, to tick off a couple of things from my bucket list (Northern lights & Volcano). I'd be very interested to know how you get on, mate.

will do

There are some seriously fun looking activities if you have the money to splash out there.

My mate went on his honeymoon and booked onto a "superjeep" tour which is very expensive but looked pretty awesome! They drive you through rivers and up snowy mountains and all sorts of weird scenic places.

Another one that appeals to me is the snorkelling in the glacial waters in the national park, I understand they take you right down to see the ridge where the tectonic plates have moved and are moving apart!

On a side note, the non stop earthquakes (thousands of them) during the last week is strongly indicating a volcanic eruption about to kick off on the Reykjanes peninsula.  It won't be an explosive eruption, but could be lots of lava flow and it could be long standing, as in years or decades.  Expected soon, or within the next week or two.  There is little danger to flights being cancelled, but it could happen as poison gas could spew out, requiring clearing of some areas and the main road to the airport could be crossed by lava flow on it's way to the sea.

This is why we don't make long term plans here, from day to day, we can expect most anything from the weather or the land.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Went in 2008. Enjoyed a jeep tour and also the Rundtur (did I spell it right @ramit?). Basically all of Reykjavik on a bar crawl. 

Beer was London prices or a little bit more. But Belly's Bar - if it still exists - was a bit less expensive. 

Great place and people. 

Happy you enjoyed your stay.  Yes, that's a decent spelling, roonttur also, rúntur in Icelandic.  Think Belly's went belly up or changed the name.  Had to google as i've not been there and up came BrewDog Reykjavík on Frakkastígur, a side street of the Laugavegur strip, specializing in Scottish brews.

51 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So is this going to be like the Krafla Fires?

I'm old enough to remember that.

Your knowledge of Iceland's volcanic and other history is commendable, Eddie.  Indeed, one of our older volcanologists pointed out similarities with the Krafla Fires, that went on with pauses for many years. 

The scientists are now scratching their heads a bit, because the tremor surge last night indicated imminent volcanic activity, preceded by one or two tremor surges, but those surges have not happened as of today, many earthquakes but not a swarm.  Every scientist with any excuse to claim a place among the crowd on this deserted and now closed off area of the peninsula is there and literally having a field day.  Suspect they want this to drag on a bit, for their own personal enjoyment and prestige.

48 minutes ago, ramit said:

Your knowledge of Iceland's volcanic and other history is commendable, Eddie.  Indeed, one of our older volcanologists pointed out similarities with the Krafla Fires, that went on with pauses for many years. 

The scientists are now scratching their heads a bit, because the tremor surge last night indicated imminent volcanic activity, preceded by one or two tremor surges, but those surges have not happened as of today, many earthquakes but not a swarm.  Every scientist with any excuse to claim a place among the crowd on this deserted and now closed off area of the peninsula is there and literally having a field day.  Suspect they want this to drag on a bit, for their own personal enjoyment and prestige.

Yes, if I'm not on here or Fark, I tend to inhabit Volcano Cafe.

5 hours ago, ramit said:

On a side note, the non stop earthquakes (thousands of them) during the last week is strongly indicating a volcanic eruption about to kick off on the Reykjanes peninsula.  It won't be an explosive eruption, but could be lots of lava flow and it could be long standing, as in years or decades.  Expected soon, or within the next week or two.  There is little danger to flights being cancelled, but it could happen as poison gas could spew out, requiring clearing of some areas and the main road to the airport could be crossed by lava flow on it's way to the sea.

This is why we don't make long term plans here, from day to day, we can expect most anything from the weather or the land.

I was having a look at this earlier. That's a lot of earthquakes!

https://www.iceland360vr.com/panorama/fagradalsfjall/?src=hp

Archived