Incommmming!

Day

15 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Yup, sacking NC certainly moved the club forward, someone will have to remind me who instigated that.

So you are confusing me slightly, you posted that we should be happy with free transfers however above your saying another GSE tenure would make you lose interest rapidly. Therefore if this window is a statement of intent going forward, it's following the same approach as GSE, no ?

Sam Rush.

Theres a difference between scraping the barrel for how many years it was, then having to reset after a solid stint of pushing for promotion for a number of years where we have gone to the absolute limit and beyond ambition wise.

Under GSE it was Groundhog Day with zero ambition. Rush was brought in to run the club, got rid of Clough and thankfully the rest is history.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

Granted it has been more fun under Mel. 

Exactly and for me football should be fun, it’s a form of entertainment. Some of my best memories as a fan have come from the last few years and right up there with the Jim Smith days despite the crushing disappointment we’ve also been through.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Sam Rush.

Theres a difference between scraping the barrel for how many years it was, then having to reset after a solid stint of pushing for promotion for a number of years where we have gone to the absolute limit and beyond ambition wise.

Under GSE it was Groundhog Day with zero ambition. Rush was brought in to run the club, got rid of Clough and thankfully the rest is history.

Fair enough, although I'd say since FL left that has been the club's philosophy.

This will be the second season now, so if we have a couple more like this you lose interest again ?

Just now, BIllyD said:

Fair enough, although I'd say since FL left that has been the club's philosophy.

This will be the second season now, so if we have a couple more like this you lose interest again ?

I disagree, have you forgot about Kristian Bielik that could potentially be our record signing?

For me this is the first season where it’s been disappointing on the pitch and cutting the cloth off it, but even then we have brought exciting players in such as Jozwiak and a certain Wayne Rooney.

Let’s also throw in a global pandemic into the mix where the club have had little to no revenue having taken us right up to the FFP line.

Are any other Championship clubs outside those in receipt of parachute payments spending big?

I don’t have a number written down where if it’s 1 or 2 seasons of what I see as no ambition, my toys are out the pram. I look at the context of the situation, why we are here. 

As I say, I have loved the past few seasons, right up there with the best which is why I will accept we need to rein it in a little and sort ourselves out.

Thankfully all the funding in the academy is now starting to bare fruits.

9 minutes ago, David said:

I disagree, have you forgot about Kristian Bielik that could potentially be our record signing?

For me this is the first season where it’s been disappointing on the pitch and cutting the cloth off it, but even then we have brought exciting players in such as Jozwiak and a certain Wayne Rooney.

Let’s also throw in a global pandemic into the mix where the club have had little to no revenue having taken us right up to the FFP line.

Are any other Championship clubs outside those in receipt of parachute payments spending big?

I don’t have a number written down where if it’s 1 or 2 seasons of what I see as no ambition, my toys are out the pram. I look at the context of the situation, why we are here. 

As I say, I have loved the past few seasons, right up there with the best which is why I will accept we need to rein it in a little and sort ourselves out.

Thankfully all the funding in the academy is now starting to bare fruits.

Yes forgot about Belik, WR shortly followed after and then it has really stopped. Jowizak funded by Bogle / Lowe deal, but we really have balanced the books and as we stand today have a thread bare squad. This hasn't happened overnight, this has been done over the past two seasons.

The academy is great, once again though something that was being funded by GSE, in their final season they put in several million, not quite to the extend of MM admittedly.

As for losing interest, it was you not me that stated this, just going back to GSE then, NC was brought in to steady the ship and build, he did this and we had a team that was within minutes of getting to the PL. Period covered 5 years I think, last season we brought in JR, Thorne Ibe etc...had you lost interest by then ?

I believe had we continued with GSE we would have still had as much excitement over the years, building on where we had got to, having one of the strongest squads in the league, therefore the current approach doesn't bother me.

However it's interesting that you highlight those that are questioning the current transfers as not being ambitious enough, were you doing the same under GSE or could you see their bigger plan  ?

8 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

However it's interesting that you highlight those that are questioning the current transfers as not being ambitious enough, were you doing the same under GSE or could you see their bigger plan  ?

I was trying to be enthusiastic each summer, but as the years rolled by it became more difficult.

I don’t recall ever being vocally “anti GSE”, get them out, just had a lack of interest, the games were dull, away games a write off before kick off and to top it off we had Robbie Savage as captain. I mean if anyone was happy with that, fair play. 

Stood by Clough for too long, far too long, complained about lack of funds whilst having no ambition himself on the pitch. 

Archived