Big Sam - did we dodge a bullet?

Gaspode

8 hours ago, Bearwood Ram said:

I live in Baggies territory and the locals I know aren't happy with the appointment. To them, he's anti-west brom football philosophy. 

If you live in Baggies territory then aren't you a local as well? As you live locally if you see what I mean.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

What is "West Brom football philosophy? They had Pulis for nearly 3 years not long ago. Hodgson not long before that...

They hated him too. They like to think of themselves as a cultured footballing side... 

3 minutes ago, abertawe_ram said:

Does the "WBA football philosophy" date back to the glorious football of Pulis or as far back as the footballing God that was Gary Megson? 

Sounds worse than the old talk of "The Derby Way"

Probably back to Cyrille Regis etc... 

26 minutes ago, Bearwood Ram said:

Probably back to Cyrille Regis etc... 

Fair play to them for thinking back to better times and perhaps their glory years, I do get it. And I would want to avoid Alladyce at Derby too. 

Just find the "club's football philosophy" thing a bit daft. Especially considering how much change every club goes through year on year now. But a lot of fans from many different teams say similar things.

The best years of my time supporting Derby were Jim Smith's late 90s team with all its foreign stars and I sometimes wish we could recreate it now. Our foreign signings have been largely dog**** since though ? I also wouldn't say Derby have a football philosophy based on our glory years in the 70s. But I suppose those who actually witnessed it might say we do or at least should.

Anyway, I've rambled, sorry... too much time on my hands ?

4 hours ago, abertawe_ram said:

Fair play to them for thinking back to better times and perhaps their glory years, I do get it. And I would want to avoid Alladyce at Derby too. 

Just find the "club's football philosophy" thing a bit daft. Especially considering how much change every club goes through year on year now. But a lot of fans from many different teams say similar things.

The best years of my time supporting Derby were Jim Smith's late 90s team with all its foreign stars and I sometimes wish we could recreate it now. Our foreign signings have been largely dog**** since though ? I also wouldn't say Derby have a football philosophy based on our glory years in the 70s. But I suppose those who actually witnessed it might say we do or at least should.

Anyway, I've rambled, sorry... too much time on my hands ?

Totally agree. I should've been clearer. I'm over 50 and so are most of my Albion supporting mates, many over 60.  So like us they bang on about better tines, what they expect from their team in terms of football style etc. Rather that than Villa, Forest or Leeds going on about winning European trophies.. Did Leeds ever win anything to back up that irritating Champions of Europe tosh that they insist on? 

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

1 point from a possible 6 against the teams around them.

Hahaha

I’m mates with a bunch of Baggies, it’s horrible for them, I genuinely said in the whatsapp group, and meant it, they’ve ended up with a horrible team and there’s not one single West Brom player that I’d say “ooh, I’d have him at Derby!”. Even that twinkle-toed lightweight pretender Pereira that makes Lawrence look as committed as Roy Keane and skilful as Ronaldinho!!

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

I’m mates with a bunch of Baggies, it’s horrible for them, I genuinely said in the whatsapp group, and meant it, they’ve ended up with a horrible team and there’s not one single West Brom player that I’d say “ooh, I’d have him at Derby!”. Even that twinkle-toed lightweight pretender Pereira that makes Lawrence look as committed as Roy Keane and skilful as Ronaldinho!!

I'd drive Robinson here myself.

I've known a few Baggies supporters over the years, and I've found them to be fairly phlegmatic about their club and its place in the football hierarchy. They tend to accept that they're a yo-yo club, and they've usually got something to play for each season, whether it's Premier League survival or Championship promotion. To be fair, I'd be okay with that if that were Derby; regularly promoted to the Prem and genuine promotion candidates when in the Championship. I suppose Norwich are a similar example.

Archived